• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like be we have been waiting a long

Time for 1b white..but it seems one more year
With him...

But it is with hope...for a gold glove
1b..to hit 230...at least..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys at Tacoma...so far...

Nick marg-a-licious..he is a ..LHP..
I keep hoping he will make it....but it's a bit like.
White..ya just don't know..

Darren McCoughan
..I keep thinking..he will be out of time..but he does not seem..to be..

Riley o brien..
Jose Rodriguez...

Yeah 4 pitcher...

Lineup...
Catch..
Jake anchia...darn good catcher..can't hit..a..lick..

Drew ..Ellis...3b /1b

Mason mcCoy..2B..6th round baltimore..2017 draft..Iowa,..

Those are the guys..so far..

Guys are on 40 man
Yes
white...,1b ,...
toro has no ..more.,..,options..

Kelenic.,Trammell..Marlowe..cooper Hummel..catch outfield..

Isaiah Thomas...
Prelaneder berroea

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabe spier..seems to have darn good numbers..
For KC..to let him go....ohh well..he is a mariners know..

Left handed.,I expect..in Seattle bull pen this year....but we will see.,

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if they move on from him. Personally I'd rather not have to trade for a second baseman with the options that are available in free agency.

I don't know how realistic it is and I've mentioned this before, but I'd really love to land Bogaerts. He has the ability to play short, second and third. If Eugenio Suarez gets hurt or substantially regresses, we don't really have anyone else on the roster who can play third. Technically you could slide Ty France back there, but I would only want to do that in an emergency because for all my praise of France's bat, I don't want to see him playing any position other than first.
Bogaerts has become my first choice as well. McNeil in a trade second choice and Torres trade third.

I really, really, really believe that signing players isn't going to happen. I keep reading from different writers that they are at $128M and the plan is to go to $142 ish. That means a RP for that money and they will spend whatever the savings Flexen, Marco, and/or Winker gets them. I think they will be under $150M which is sad. Should be up to $200M if the right players can be signed.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a hard on for Reynolds for years and would do that trade in a heartbeat.

We'd be giving up a former top prospect who I have zero faith in, a mediocre utility player and a solid pitching prospect when we already have Ray, Castillo, Gilbert, Kirby and Gonzales locked up for the foreseeable future. There really isn't any spot available for a starting pitcher in our rotation for a while barring injuries or trades.
What you mean prospects aren't always the answer? LOL. If I had a dollar for every time I have preached that each offseason.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the delayed response. Just got back from New York and pretty sure the late night pizza gave me some sort of stomach bug so I'm sitting at home alone for Thanksgiving, lol.

That's actually a very good point regarding France and the shift that I didn't really take into consideration. Not disagreeing with your point, but I will say the defensive ability of a first baseman isn't that big of a concern to me. Even before baseball became more shift heavy, teams wouldn't exactly put their most athletic player at first.

I will point out that I don't know if durability should be much of a concern with him playing first. Most of the injuries he has incurred were a result of taking a pitch after crowding the plate. Regarding his grit, I'll actually disagree with you here. I know it's a point of contention, but to me I think the result of his struggles after getting hurt were because I think he was trying to play through injury.

I disagree about him having peaked. I'd actually be willing to bet if he had an entire healthy season he has the ceiling of a .320 hitter. Whenever he has been healthy he has looked great to me. But once again this goes back to my theory that his slumps were a result of playing through injury. So we might have to agree to disagree on this point because you could bring up the valid point that his plate at the approach (crowding the plate) results in him taking a ball to the wrist which gets him injured. So I'll digress here...

Regarding DH, I'm a true believer that we need a real DH. I bitched about it all season, but how the hell is there a position called "Designated Hitter" that produced the worst offensive output on the team? Mariners hitters at DH hit .180/.278/.337. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a record for worst offensive output by a team's DH.
I don’t think Jerry looks at DH, or really even the analytic guys really look at DH like us Seattle fans do because we had Edgar. It is more of a utility position rather than an actual legit starter. Which on paper is cool, but you have to have the offensive players the Astros, Blue Jays, Yankees or Dodgers have and no matter the kind of deals they make this off-season will get them to that type of talent. I want them to have 9 solidified starters and if they can ever acquire a 10th through the farm system or a trade then so be it.

Plus this roster as of today is ass backwards because we got 2 OF who should only be DH’s, 2 utility IF playing in the OF, the perfect DH playing 1B. Essentially they have a C, a SS (who should probably play 2B) a 3B and a CF (who should be a RF).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which on paper is cool, but you have to have the offensive players the Astros, Blue Jays, Yankees or Dodgers have and no matter the kind of deals they make this off-season will get them to that type of talent.
I think this is 100% legit. Their bench guys are stud hitter but don't have enough positions to play them on so odd man out is game is the DH. We leave it open so we can give a semi-rest to a guy hitting .200 with no power. I am leaning back into us having a legit DH instead of a day off DH.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is 100% legit. Their bench guys are stud hitter but don't have enough positions to play them on so odd man out is game is the DH. We leave it open so we can give a semi-rest to a guy hitting .200 with no power. I am leaning back into us having a legit DH instead of a day off DH.
I know many will think I am crazy seeing as how he had a pretty bad 2022 season. But I think Cody Bellinger is a good fit for the Mariners.

1. likely acquired below market value
2. he can play CF part time ( gets Julio away from a spot he likely should not be ) He is tall / gangly and athletic enough to be a steady at 1st base ( gets France into near full time DH role )
3. if he regains that HR swing, look out right field short porch at T-Mobile

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many will think I am crazy seeing as how he had a pretty bad 2022 season. But I think Cody Bellinger is a good fit for the Mariners.

1. likely acquired below market value
2. he can play CF part time ( gets Julio away from a spot he likely should not be ) He is tall / gangly and athletic enough to be a steady at 1st base ( gets France into near full time DH role )
3. if he regains that HR swing, look out right field short porch at T-Mobile
You are crazy...lol. He had a bad 2020, 2021, 2022. I just read the he is looking for a 1 year deal and the predicted price will be $20M+ for that. Seems like a ton for an older Kelenic. Mariners won't pay anything near that for a prayer player. And remember, hitters don't come to T_mobile and improve. They typically go the other way. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading all the free agent predictions on ESPN+ and they had several writers guess and there were only 2 M's predictions. One guy predicted Trea Turner to Seattle and another guy who didn't predict him coming here predicted them signing the Japanese pitcher for around $80M.

1- McDaniel:

Trea Turner: Seattle Mariners, nine years, $280 million
Carlos Correa: Giants, eight years, $270 million
Dansby Swanson: Braves, six years, $150 million
Xander Bogaerts: Boston Red Sox, six years, $168 million

The tricky part about this is the next-best-shortstop option in free agency is Jean Segura or Elvis Andrus. So, the teams shopping for a shortstop that don't land one of these four will likely look to swing a trade to upgrade that position: Willy Adames, Amed Rosario, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Paul DeJong, Miguel Rojas, Javier Baez and Jorge Mateo are the main options. In this scenario I have the Dodgers and Cubs doing that, but it's more of a coin flip than a strong feeling.

2- Schoenfield: Kodai Senga, Mariners, five years, $80 million. Starting pitching isn't the Mariners' biggest need, but Jerry Dipoto raved about Senga at the GM meetings and I think he dreams of a rotation that can go toe-to-toe with the Astros from one through five (or six). Then he can use Marco Gonzales or Chris Flexen in a trade for a second baseman or outfielder.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole idea..is to have a DH ...that playes a position as well..so he is not as much a liability
In the field...and can be changed

A liability..as winker..was...late..in the year..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogarts is not that good on defence...with the exception..of last year
Out of all the years he has played....some say..
He will regress after few year..like 1or2 years

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading all the free agent predictions on ESPN+ and they had several writers guess and there were only 2 M's predictions. One guy predicted Trea Turner to Seattle and another guy who didn't predict him coming here predicted them signing the Japanese pitcher for around $80M.

1- McDaniel:

Trea Turner: Seattle Mariners, nine years, $280 million
Carlos Correa: Giants, eight years, $270 million
Dansby Swanson: Braves, six years, $150 million
Xander Bogaerts: Boston Red Sox, six years, $168 million

The tricky part about this is the next-best-shortstop option in free agency is Jean Segura or Elvis Andrus. So, the teams shopping for a shortstop that don't land one of these four will likely look to swing a trade to upgrade that position: Willy Adames, Amed Rosario, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Paul DeJong, Miguel Rojas, Javier Baez and Jorge Mateo are the main options. In this scenario I have the Dodgers and Cubs doing that, but it's more of a coin flip than a strong feeling.

2- Schoenfield: Kodai Senga, Mariners, five years, $80 million. Starting pitching isn't the Mariners' biggest need, but Jerry Dipoto raved about Senga at the GM meetings and I think he dreams of a rotation that can go toe-to-toe with the Astros from one through five (or six). Then he can use Marco Gonzales or Chris Flexen in a trade for a second baseman or outfielder.

That is why..
.I like Torres...#4 on defence.
.better ..than Frazier..on offence..and..he is not over 30.. he just turned 26…
So you would not have to sign a guy,...who is over 30..to ..a 6....year contract.
The only guy worth that..
Is turner..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhh forget it..9 years..I'll have ...
Celestin..in 6..sounds like...no..no.thanks, don't want another...Cano....

I'll take Torres...imo..

Yeah and even turner..is dicy..,
.at 9 years ..

Not even cal ripkin...was all that good a SS..at 40...

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve always wanted that, but roster construction wise they couldn’t because they had to leave it open because of their injury prone guys. Not saying I was a fan but I get it but it kind of is a disgrace to baseball IMO that Dylan Moore or Abraham Toro ever was a DH for a MLB team.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If young hits his way be to MLB...
He would be there in 3 to 4 years...with prob 5 or 6 ..to go..no....the.mariners...dont need..a..30 ..year old...with a 9 years.. contract..

Torres...already.
.has..2.
More years,and could be...maybe talked into a couple more.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Johnson at the 1993 MLB All-Star Game — with NBA star Patrick Ewing in a Mets uniform!

RJ.png

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know maybe ...nimmo .is good..
And
Maybe Conforto...for a year ...to see...