• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Divish said in a new report that M's shopped Kelenic heavily during the trade deadline. He may e gone before the season starts. A rumor is back with him, Moore, and Hancock going for Reynolds (Pitt).
You made me come around on Reynolds. Wish they could swap out Hancock in that deal. But if they can deal Kelenic and only give up one prospect then I think that is a win/win. I like Moore but the roster can’t have him, Toro and that new guy from Arizona. Sure they can keep the dude in Tacoma but I’d rather them trade for an actual everyday starter.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pitcher like Braxton garritt could work out for Seattle..or Jesus Lazardo..formerly of Oakland

Both are fairly young ...

Both of Miami..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Lazardo.,.LHP.3.32 era..100 ip..120 so..

2022whip...104..that will s good..

For Gonzales..and flex ..???..

Draft 2016..Washington Nationals..round 3..HS
Parkland Florida...

Seemingly..could work..for mariners..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lazardo..4sram fast ball..slider... change..sinker..

Throws up to 97 .

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You made me come around on Reynolds. Wish they could swap out Hancock in that deal. But if they can deal Kelenic and only give up one prospect then I think that is a win/win. I like Moore but the roster can’t have him, Toro and that new guy from Arizona. Sure they can keep the dude in Tacoma but I’d rather them trade for an actual everyday starter.
I'm with you. Now to be clear, Divish didn't say the rumor part with Reynolds, that was different Mariner podcasters so not sure the validity of it but I do believe it is a conversation taking place. I just wonder what kind of responses they got at the trade deadline for Kelenic. Obviously nothing good enough to take.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes...if you try ..you can get what you need....

Stones....somehow it works like that in baseball ..
And maney times...in life.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. Now to be clear, Divish didn't say the rumor part with Reynolds, that was different Mariner podcasters so not sure the validity of it but I do believe it is a conversation taking place. I just wonder what kind of responses they got at the trade deadline for Kelenic. Obviously nothing good enough to take.
I don’t think at the deadline they could really trade Kelenic though. I know Jerry said Mitch and Lewis were “big acquisitions” but they aren’t that dumb to think those two were the COF’s. They needed Kelenic for defense. Heck they still need him for defense unless they can get a decent defensive OF. Truth be told I am still holding out hope he pans out and I would rather have him over Winker. I know he had a down year last year but he is a 1 tool player, at his worst thus far Kelenic is at least a 2 tool guy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think at the deadline they could really trade Kelenic though. I know Jerry said Mitch and Lewis were “big acquisitions” but they aren’t that dumb to think those two were the COF’s. They needed Kelenic for defense. Heck they still need him for defense unless they can get a decent defensive OF. Truth be told I am still holding out hope he pans out and I would rather have him over Winker. I know he had a down year last year but he is a 1 tool player, at his worst thus far Kelenic is at least a 2 tool guy.
I believe they shopped him hard. I really do. Deadline is when you can get the most for a guy fro a desperate team. They liked Marlow a lot and he was almost on the playoff roster. They said he would have been the corner guy if Kelenic was traded. They said in the podcast I watched that they are still heavily shopping him so we shall see. For the right deal, do it. Just to get rid of him, no.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they shopped him hard. I really do. Deadline is when you can get the most for a guy fro a desperate team. They liked Marlow a lot and he was almost on the playoff roster. They said he would have been the corner guy if Kelenic was traded. They said in the podcast I watched that they are still heavily shopping him so we shall see. For the right deal, do it. Just to get rid of him, no.
Yeah but I am guessing they wanted something to help them in return….though by all accounts they didn’t want a rental (which is beyond idiotic). I may be wrong but I can’t ever say they tried real hard to shop him when he could’ve easily put him in the Castillo trade to get Drury as well. That is still the one thing I hate is how he talks out of both sides of his mouth. “We shopped him” but will only take a starter with club control.

Sorry, Jerry rant over.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roster on opening day..is what it is..at the deadline if kenenic ,
..breaks out . he will be going back up in value..

But then..they may not want to trade him.
Lolololol..

But that is the deal.....Emma..
For minors guys..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading a bit down..
On the Jose Rodriguez.
Tweet..
And saw most NY fans think they will get a pitcher..like Hancock...out of a..Torres trade..

Excuse me....but ..Hancock's value.,has been..
Kept low...by every...other team....

Not the mariners....Hancock...to the mariners
Is worth as much..as kerby was...
not know though....
But...still he was taken in the first round...#6..

Thye must have hit there head...and became..

Delusional

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah..mariners ..do not have an endless supply..

Of Logan Gilbert's...and joege kerbys..,
And handcocks...maybe a dollard..and miller..
And that is it....

As far as primium,arms.... Go...

know while they are developing them.....

Know... bull pen guys.,are a diff story..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather not see Ty France at 1st base in 2023.

mainly due to defensive range concerns with the new anti shift dealio beginning next season. 1st basemen are going to have to play slightly deeper and shade a tad more to 2nd base side to keep ground balls outs from becoming base hits thru the infield. i just do not think he has quick feet nor the athleticism to cover as much ground as most 1st basemen.

next reason is his durability. He lacks the everyday player grit that alot of ball players have.

I would rather see him as the clubs steady DH in the line up ( batting 5-6 hole, no base path sloths in the top 4 spots )

Or trade him off if need be. I think we saw near ceiling with Ty France 2022 numbers. His super hot early start 2022 was a fluke over a small sampling of at bats.

I would rather add a rock star single outfielder and a MLB average 2nd basemen and 1st basemen vs 2 lower tier outfielder adds and an avg 2nd basemen.

The eeny meeny miny mo of DH all of last season was a distraction to the line up as well as club house jinx.

Jerry gonna have to drop some coin the next few months, should be interesting
Sorry for the delayed response. Just got back from New York and pretty sure the late night pizza gave me some sort of stomach bug so I'm sitting at home alone for Thanksgiving, lol.

That's actually a very good point regarding France and the shift that I didn't really take into consideration. Not disagreeing with your point, but I will say the defensive ability of a first baseman isn't that big of a concern to me. Even before baseball became more shift heavy, teams wouldn't exactly put their most athletic player at first.

I will point out that I don't know if durability should be much of a concern with him playing first. Most of the injuries he has incurred were a result of taking a pitch after crowding the plate. Regarding his grit, I'll actually disagree with you here. I know it's a point of contention, but to me I think the result of his struggles after getting hurt were because I think he was trying to play through injury.

I disagree about him having peaked. I'd actually be willing to bet if he had an entire healthy season he has the ceiling of a .320 hitter. Whenever he has been healthy he has looked great to me. But once again this goes back to my theory that his slumps were a result of playing through injury. So we might have to agree to disagree on this point because you could bring up the valid point that his plate at the approach (crowding the plate) results in him taking a ball to the wrist which gets him injured. So I'll digress here...

Regarding DH, I'm a true believer that we need a real DH. I bitched about it all season, but how the hell is there a position called "Designated Hitter" that produced the worst offensive output on the team? Mariners hitters at DH hit .180/.278/.337. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a record for worst offensive output by a team's DH.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand he once got hurt, but my point is he had good string of games after coming back and no mention of injury. Only when he struggled they use the excuse of injury. You can't be injured and also be taking nightly BP. An injury doesn't make you chase outside pitches. In fact, a wrist injury hurts more on pitches chased vs pitches struck. Maybe he just ran out of gas is my point. I will let it go and just hope his 'injury' goes away this offseason.
Fair enough.

I guess my response would be that the nightly BP reps probably didn't help him recover very well and perhaps him chasing the outside pitches could be a result of chasing to make something happen out of frustration he's not able to drive the ball like he did pre-injury.

I suppose I just see it as too much of a coincidence that he struggles coming off of injury.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are trading for a 2B, McNeil is my first choice. Not sure who would be my realistic second choice. I highly doubt Marco or Flexen gets us McNeil.
I'd be surprised if they move on from him. Personally I'd rather not have to trade for a second baseman with the options that are available in free agency.

I don't know how realistic it is and I've mentioned this before, but I'd really love to land Bogaerts. He has the ability to play short, second and third. If Eugenio Suarez gets hurt or substantially regresses, we don't really have anyone else on the roster who can play third. Technically you could slide Ty France back there, but I would only want to do that in an emergency because for all my praise of France's bat, I don't want to see him playing any position other than first.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Divish said in a new report that M's shopped Kelenic heavily during the trade deadline. He may e gone before the season starts. A rumor is back with him, Moore, and Hancock going for Reynolds (Pitt).
I've had a hard on for Reynolds for years and would do that trade in a heartbeat.

We'd be giving up a former top prospect who I have zero faith in, a mediocre utility player and a solid pitching prospect when we already have Ray, Castillo, Gilbert, Kirby and Gonzales locked up for the foreseeable future. There really isn't any spot available for a starting pitcher in our rotation for a while barring injuries or trades.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a hard on for Reynolds for years and would do that trade in a heartbeat.

We'd be giving up a former top prospect who I have zero faith in, a mediocre utility player and a solid pitching prospect when we already have Ray, Castillo, Gilbert, Kirby and Gonzales locked up for the foreseeable future. There really isn't any spot available for a starting pitcher in our rotation for a while barring injuries or trades.
I know what you are saying..but..it takes 8 guys
Sometimes for the rotation

Castillo.
Ray..
Gilbert
Gonzales..
Kerby
Brash
Dollard

Miller
Hancock..

not really ready .
I'm wonder if dollard is

But dollard should at least..AAA

One more guy would be better

ok...like
Boyd .

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And but...everyone has said they may trad..
Gonzales and flexen.....so that was is what ...
People expect..we know it may not happen.

And again.
It may....so we are waiting .

.going threw posabilitys...as always.

And rumors.,...lol
But t the news..is getting old as well.
.it's that dry..time before winter.
Meetings...

A little of talk.,but only Hernandez to show..

For know.,.

happy thanks..
And giving.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we have let us be thankfull

1open...LF

2 julio..cf

3france...1b..we are right to be worried.but France will be there...?trust me....he is the best
1base Seattle has had..in a long time .

4.toscar Hernandez....RF
Welcome to the mariners

5 open...DH.

6 Suarez ..3B..
7cal Raliegh..one of the few mariners..rookie catchers..that are..good

8 crawford....SS.the question is not weather.
Crawford is good....
Only if turner.
Is better...

2b..open