• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Season's Over, Offseason Talk

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about getting another G.M drunk, so he would be willing to take on Teixiera and his bloated contract?

Teams could do much much worse than Mark Teixiera, I'd keep him.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams could do much much worse than Mark Teixiera, I'd keep him.

Absolutely. He was overpaid, but he's become a somewhat underrated player now. He's batted .260/.355/.502 with a 125 OPS+ and good defense. 16.3 WAR in 2690 PA. His stats compare very favorably to a guy like Tino Martinez, who is revered by Yankee fans.

He'll probably never have an OPS north of .900 (or even close to) like in 2009, but 2010-12 Teixeira is still a good player.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm impressed. Finding a story from over a year ago takes some doing......

And, that will bode well for all of MLB. It is how you keep the Astros & Marlins of the world to not try to fund their entire payroll with these funds that is the hard part......

Well, it was in the KC Star also, today...as a reminder for us poor folk.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers decline options on Mark Ellis and Chris Capuano | HardballTalk

Not surprised by either. If they hadn't signed Guerrero, I'm sure they would have been more inclined to pick up Ellis' option. They could still bring him back as insurance of course.

There's quite a few teams that could use Ellis at 2nd. His bat isn't great, but an OPS+ around 90 at 2B is certainly serviceable. Especially from an excellent defender such as Ellis.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might not have the $$ for Ellsbury. I just read that they will have to pay Johan $ 5 mil to go away, instead of having to pay him $ 25 mil to stay.

The Mets have plenty of money. Roughly $60 million in dead money coming off the books. They've said they'll be spenders. Their payroll was around $80 million last year. They said they plan to spend between $80-100 million this year. Money won't be the issue for them anymore.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets apparently are not interested in Ellsbury as they like Juan Lagares' defense too much and will instead likely pursue corner outfielders.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Cubs stay quiet. If they sign anyone over 28 they will be 31+ by the time we are any good.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets have plenty of money. Roughly $60 million in dead money coming off the books. They've said they'll be spenders. Their payroll was around $80 million last year. They said they plan to spend between $80-100 million this year. Money won't be the issue for them anymore.

Morales?

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful. I expect the Mets to address first base from within and the cost increase for Morales would not be worth it.

The Sox need to address their own free agents. I expect Ellsbury to leave, as the Sox won't meet his asking price (and they shouldn't). They can slot Jackie Bradley in CF. Bradley will not be as dynamic as Ellsbury, but over the long haul I think he provides us with better OBP from the leadoff spot.

They really need to re-sign Napoli. He not only provided RH power, but he gave very good D and the Sox do not have an in-house option to step in like they do for Ellsbury (Bradley)and Drew(Bogaerts). He wants to stay and the Sox want him, so we have to se if they can match the years and the dollars.

Another position we do not have an immediate replacement for is catcher. It would be nice to re-sign Salty, but he could become expensive because he is one of the few young free agents out there, and he has power. If the Sox are not able to keep him, they may go with a 1 year option like A.J. Pierzynski.

I do not want any part of Brian McCann.

Aside from that, the Sox have good SP pitching depth and the bullpen should be better with Andrew Miller coming back in 2014 and Brandon Workman there for the entire season.

If they decide to replace Ellsbury from outside the organization, I like Chris Young as a guy to platoon with Bradley in CF.

In the Spring, the Sox could choose to trade Dempster or Peavy if it looks like their starters are all healthy to free up some salary. If injuries strike, they could dip into the minors for Allen Webster, Matt Barnes, or Anthony Ranaudo.

I can't say we will repeat, but we will be competitive, while some key young players gain more experience at the major league level.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wouldn't mind the Mets making a play for Peavy. I'm not sure what the Sox asking price is but the Mets could use a vet in the rotation to go along with the young arms.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can't just spend because you have the money. With Harvey out for the season, the Mets rebuilding plan is likely set back a year.

If they spend big now on a guy like Ellsbury or Choo (which Alderson says they won't do), then they effectively lose a prime year from that player in a year they will not compete. Then that player is one year closer to ineffectiveness with a smaller window for productive seasons.

If the Mets want a power bat, they should look into Mike Morse, who can play corner OF and 1B. He should come relatively cheaply given that he was hurt for much of last season and his numbers took a dive.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wouldn't mind the Mets making a play for Peavy. I'm not sure what the Sox asking price is but the Mets could use a vet in the rotation to go along with the young arms.

You can have him. He should pitch better in the NL. I have always liked Lucas Duda. If the Sox are not able to keep Napoli, I wouldn't mind a 1B platoon of Duda and Carp (2 former Mets) with Duda seeing some extra time in the OF if injuries happen.

Why do you want to pay $14.5mm for Peavy? Go get Tim Hudson for less if you want a veteran on a short deal. Roy Halladay, Dan Haren, or even Josh Johnson may take 1 year deals to show they are healthy/effective. Maybe Ryan Vogelsong.

There is also Edinson Volquez if you want an innings eater with some upside.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have him. He should pitch better in the NL. I have always liked Lucas Duda. If the Sox are not able to keep Napoli, I wouldn't mind a 1B platoon of Duda and Carp (2 former Mets) with Duda seeing some extra time in the OF if injuries happen.

Why do you want to pay $14.5mm for Peavy? Go get Tim Hudson for less if you want a veteran on a short deal. Roy Halladay, Dan Haren, or even Josh Johnson may take 1 year deals to show they are healthy/effective. Maybe Ryan Vogelsong.

There is also Edinson Volquez if you want an innings eater with some upside.

A.k.a, go after the 2nd tier of pitchers. Not everyone can or even wants to go and try for only the best of the best.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, the Mets don't need the best of the best top end starting pitching. Even without Harvey they still have dependable guys in Wheeler, Niese and Gee. Another vet that could help eat innings would be huge.

2015 has kinda been the target year for the Mets so the Harvey injury isn't too much of a derailment. As long as he's good to go by then they'll be fine.

They've stated they'll likely deal Ike Davis, who is one season removed from a 30+ HR campaign. In a hitter friendly park he can still do damage.