• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Season's Over, Offseason Talk

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a 1B/RF option...I just don't think the Pirates can afford any of the good options out there. With Byrd going to Philly I have a feeling that the Bucs will go forward with Tabata/Snider (blech) at RF, upgrade 1B, and get a reclamation project arm. They do need some new blood though, so I hope that they find some. The rest of the lineup is pretty much set. They could potentially get a SS upgrade, but I think they'll give Mercer the shot at starting and have a utility infielder back him and Walker up. I'd like a guy like Napoli, but don't think that'll happen. A lot of the other 1B options are probably more DHs than 1B.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, the Mets don't need the best of the best top end starting pitching. Even without Harvey they still have dependable guys in Wheeler, Niese and Gee. Another vet that could help eat innings would be huge.

2015 has kinda been the target year for the Mets so the Harvey injury isn't too much of a derailment. As long as he's good to go by then they'll be fine.

They've stated they'll likely deal Ike Davis, who is one season removed from a 30+ HR campaign. In a hitter friendly park he can still do damage.

I disagree with that to an extent because when Harvey comes back in 2015, he will likely be on an innings count coming back from TJ. If they are smart (i.e. smarter than the Nats) and do what the Cards did with Wacha, they could shut Harvey down for periods of time in 2015 to keep his innings low in case they need him for a post-season run. At worst, he will just pitch more innings in the second half when he should theoretically be stronger.

I don't know what the rush is to trade Davis. They would be selling low. If they are sure he is a bust, then fine. If not, do not sell low on 30 Hr potential.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a 1B/RF option...I just don't think the Pirates can afford any of the good options out there. With Byrd going to Philly I have a feeling that the Bucs will go forward with Tabata/Snider (blech) at RF, upgrade 1B, and get a reclamation project arm. They do need some new blood though, so I hope that they find some. The rest of the lineup is pretty much set. They could potentially get a SS upgrade, but I think they'll give Mercer the shot at starting and have a utility infielder back him and Walker up. I'd like a guy like Napoli, but don't think that'll happen. A lot of the other 1B options are probably more DHs than 1B.

How about Morse for the Buccos? He fits the OF/1B profile, though defense is not his calling card.

Be happy the Phils took Byrd off your hands. I think that will be a bad contract for a bad team.

Is there talk of re-signing Morneau? Why don't they take a shot with Stephen Drew to upgrade SS and maybe man the #2 hole in the lineup?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Morse for the Buccos? He fits the OF/1B profile, though defense is not his calling card.

Be happy the Phils took Byrd off your hands. I think that will be a bad contract for a bad team.

Is there talk of re-signing Morneau? Why don't they take a shot with Stephen Drew to upgrade SS and maybe man the #2 hole in the lineup?

It's not like Morse is a great hitter. He's had one good year (147 OPS+ in 2011), unless you want to count his 133 OPS+ in 293 PA in 2010.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox need to address their own free agents. I expect Ellsbury to leave, as the Sox won't meet his asking price (and they shouldn't). They can slot Jackie Bradley in CF. Bradley will not be as dynamic as Ellsbury, but over the long haul I think he provides us with better OBP from the leadoff spot.

They really need to re-sign Napoli. He not only provided RH power, but he gave very good D and the Sox do not have an in-house option to step in like they do for Ellsbury (Bradley)and Drew(Bogaerts). He wants to stay and the Sox want him, so we have to se if they can match the years and the dollars.

Another position we do not have an immediate replacement for is catcher. It would be nice to re-sign Salty, but he could become expensive because he is one of the few young free agents out there, and he has power. If the Sox are not able to keep him, they may go with a 1 year option like A.J. Pierzynski.

I do not want any part of Brian McCann.

Aside from that, the Sox have good SP pitching depth and the bullpen should be better with Andrew Miller coming back in 2014 and Brandon Workman there for the entire season.

If they decide to replace Ellsbury from outside the organization, I like Chris Young as a guy to platoon with Bradley in CF.

In the Spring, the Sox could choose to trade Dempster or Peavy if it looks like their starters are all healthy to free up some salary. If injuries strike, they could dip into the minors for Allen Webster, Matt Barnes, or Anthony Ranaudo.

I can't say we will repeat, but we will be competitive, while some key young players gain more experience at the major league level.

Re-signing Jacoby is a higher priority than Napoli, IMO.

Napoli has his points, but he's not the kind of foundation player the Navajo is.

Bradley may be more than good depth, but Jacoby is more proven.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Morse is a great hitter. He's had one good year (147 OPS+ in 2011), unless you want to count his 133 OPS+ in 293 PA in 2010.

It's also not like Morse is a poor hitter. He got off to a roaring start last season and then got hurt. He tried playing through the injury for a couple of months because the Mariners had other players on the DL. He them missed extended time with the injury, and never got untracked when he came back.

He also hit over .300 in his last 2 seasons in the minors. He is a pretty good hitter.

He was showing he was pretty much a .290 hitter with good power before last season.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-signing Jacoby is a higher priority than Napoli, IMO.

Napoli has his points, but he's not the kind of foundation player the Navajo is.

Bradley may be more than good depth, but Jacoby is more proven.

Speed is important, but when you pay a 30 year old based on that speed into his mid-30's, you are asking for trouble. Speed does not age well, and when that is your only calling card, a contract can go bad quickly.

I bet you loved the Carl Crawford signing after 2010.

Napoli provided righthanded power that was needed, strong defense, and leadership. Those are also foundation attributes, and he is only 2 years older than Ellsbury.

The difference between a Napoli contract and an Ellsbury contract is that Napoli may only require 3yrs/$42mm and Ellsbury may require 6yrs/$120mm. BIG difference.

Another difference is that Napoli's is not easily replaceable, as we do not have a prospect or internal candidate that can pick up Napoli's AB's and give the same productiion.

With Ellsbury, we do have that in Jackie Bradley Jr. Bradley does not have the speed Ellsbury does, but he has the OBP skills and the great defensive ability. Skills that may actually exceed Ellsbury's in those categories.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've been hearing is Jhonny Peralata and the Mets are almost a perfect fit and that they have been talking. He would be a huge upgrade from what we have there currently.

Ike Davis seems to be all but out the door. Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers and Rockies have all contacted the Mets regarding him and the Mets seem intent on trading him. For what and for what type of value I have no idea.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've been hearing is Jhonny Peralata and the Mets are almost a perfect fit and that they have been talking. He would be a huge upgrade from what we have there currently.

Ike Davis seems to be all but out the door. Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers and Rockies have all contacted the Mets regarding him and the Mets seem intent on trading him. For what and for what type of value I have no idea.

I think Peralta would be a HUGE mistake. First of all, he is not a good SS. Secondly, how can you look at his 2013 stats and his subsequent PED suspension and not consider the two directly related?

He seems to be more the .250-ish hitter with 12-15 HR potential than the player you saw last season. I understand the Mets don't want to part with a pick, but if they are serious about improving the SS position, they should look at Stephen Drew.

Otherwise, if they are intent on trading Ike Davis, they should trade him for a SS or OF.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed is important, but when you pay a 30 year old based on that speed into his mid-30's, you are asking for trouble. Speed does not age well, and when that is your only calling card, a contract can go bad quickly.

Napoli provided righthanded power that was needed, strong defense, and leadership. Those are also foundation attributes, and he is only 2 years older than Ellsbury.

The difference between a Napoli contract and an Ellsbury contract is that Napoli may only require 3yrs/$42mm and Ellsbury may require 6yrs/$120mm. BIG difference.

Another difference is that Napoli's is not easily replaceable, as we do not have a prospect or internal candidate that can pick up Napoli's AB's and give the same productiion.

With Ellsbury, we do have that in Jackie Bradley Jr. Bradley does not have the speed Ellsbury does, but he has the OBP skills and the great defensive ability. Skills that may actually exceed Ellsbury's in those categories.

There is really 0% chance Ellsbury returns. They are only talking with Boras to not burn the bridge... I agree with most of your other assessments - except that they will not go to camp with just Bradley, Victorino, Gomes & Nava. They'll bring in someone else to compete (you had mentioned Young). There are a few FA option out there, and the Sox are not against trading, either...

I absolutely disagree with your prior comment about Peirsynski. Under no circumstance should that cancer put on a Boston uniform.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is really 0% chance Ellsbury returns. They are only talking with Boras to not burn the bridge... I agree with most of your other assessments - except that they will not go to camp with just Bradley, Victorino, Gomes & Nava. They'll bring in someone else to compete (you had mentioned Young). There are a few FA option out there, and the Sox are not against trading, either...

I absolutely disagree with your prior comment about Peirsynski. Under no circumstance should that cancer put on a Boston uniform.

I'm not aware of anything on Pierzynski's character. What has happened with him?

I do agree that the Sox will try to get another OF, but if they don't succeed they will roll with Bradley. I am okay with that. What the kid lacks in Ellsbury-like speed, he makes up for with great overall baseball instincts. I think he is capable of .280/.370/.400, and aside from Ellsbury's fluke 2011 season, those numbers would be on par with Ellsbury.

I am liking Chris Young more and more as I think about it, as he could play against lefties to help ease Bradley into the majors, and also spell Gomes and Victorino on occasion if Nava is subbing at 1B for Napoli (hope he re-signs).

Here's a thought...should the Sox shop Nava? He is coming off a terrific year and he is an overachiver-type, so maybe we have seen his best. His market would be at its highest.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno about Morse...his numbers aren't overwhelming, but that said it's not like there's a lot of those great options on the market, and certainly not many that the Pirates can afford. I do know that the Pirates FO is very much into their statistics beyond my capacity (DS, WHERE ARE YOU?). I agree with the Byrd assertion. I have a feeling that he'll have a down year, or at the very least the second year of that deal will be bad. I would've been okay if the Pirates resigned him for one year just because they seem to be in a waiting period for Polanco, but I really think last year was more of an anomaly than the norm for him. Still, I love that man. In regard to Morneau, I'm not sure...I have no idea if there's mutual interest or any interest frankly. He didn't do much in his short tenure here, but he's an OBP guy, and that's something the Pirates need. I know the Bucs have been mentioned a bit in regard to Drew, but I don't think they'll put their money into SS...I think they'll give Mercer the nod as starter and maybe pick up a suitable back up middle infield guy for D. Last offseason their focus was getting a starting catcher, and taking a flier on some bounce back SPs. I think this offseason should be similar, except it'll be 1B/RF instead of catcher. I would love for them to make a splash...but it's not in the cards.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ew, no thanks on Morse. I don't think Morneau is coming back, at least not until the dust settles.

Stephen Drew is interesting, but I don't see the Bucs giving anyone not homegrown big money and a long term. They are pretty much focusing on AJ, if not a reclamation project starter or two, I could also see them making a significant trade, giving prospects for a proven player.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see the Buccos go after him for pitching depth.

The Pirates are reportedly one of the finalists for Josh Johnson. He expects to make a decision soon. The Padres and Giants seem to be wo of the other finalists, but the Giants are likely out after signing Tim Hudson yesterday. There is supposedly one more team involved, and it could be the Twins or Royals.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ew, no thanks on Morse. I don't think Morneau is coming back, at least not until the dust settles.

Stephen Drew is interesting, but I don't see the Bucs giving anyone not homegrown big money and a long term. They are pretty much focusing on AJ, if not a reclamation project starter or two, I could also see them making a significant trade, giving prospects for a proven player.

I don't know why there is not more love for Morse. This guy was not just a power hitter, but a good hitter that hit around .290 from 2010 to 2012. Last year was down because he played hurt for a couple of months and then never really recovered.

I would love his bat in Boston if we couldn't re-sign Napoli. He has a swing made for Fenway.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why there is not more love for Morse. This guy was not just a power hitter, but a good hitter that hit around .290 from 2010 to 2012. Last year was down because he played hurt for a couple of months and then never really recovered.

I would love his bat in Boston if we couldn't re-sign Napoli. He has a swing made for Fenway.

Yeah, made for Fenway, I agree, and you can hide him at DH.

PNC Park has probably the worst LF for right handed powers hitters in the league, and they can't hide him at DH.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates are reportedly one of the finalists for Josh Johnson. He expects to make a decision soon. The Padres and Giants seem to be wo of the other finalists, but the Giants are likely out after signing Tim Hudson yesterday. There is supposedly one more team involved, and it could be the Twins or Royals.

Surprised he would decide so soon, I'm thinking he get 2 years 20 million to be honest.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not aware of anything on Pierzynski's character. What has happened with him?

I do agree that the Sox will try to get another OF, but if they don't succeed they will roll with Bradley. I am okay with that. What the kid lacks in Ellsbury-like speed, he makes up for with great overall baseball instincts. I think he is capable of .280/.370/.400, and aside from Ellsbury's fluke 2011 season, those numbers would be on par with Ellsbury.

I am liking Chris Young more and more as I think about it, as he could play against lefties to help ease Bradley into the majors, and also spell Gomes and Victorino on occasion if Nava is subbing at 1B for Napoli (hope he re-signs).

Here's a thought...should the Sox shop Nava? He is coming off a terrific year and he is an overachiver-type, so maybe we have seen his best. His market would be at its highest.

He's been called a cancer by former teammates. One story about him was that he kicked the Giants trainer in the groin after the trainer asked him whether he was hurt from getting hit. In another story, pitchers claimed that he'd refuse to go over batters with them because he wanted to play cards or something.

That was years ago though, so things may have changed...