• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Season's Over, Offseason Talk

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Major League Baseball is withdrawing its proposal for a new bidding system with Japan, making it uncertain whether prized pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will be on the market this offseason.
MLB Chief Operating Officer Rob Manfred said Japanese officials had not acted quickly enough on MLB's proposal for a new agreement and that a new proposal will be forwarded.
"We warned them, told them if this sat too long, there could be shifting winds out there, and suffice it to say there are shifting winds," Manfred said.
Under the so-called "posting system," agreed to in December 1998, more than a dozen Japanese players have moved to MLB before the nine years of service time they would have needed to become a free agent. Under the system, MLB clubs submit bids, and the highest bidder has 30 days to reach an agreement with the player.
Boston obtained pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka from the Seibu Lions before the 2007 season for $51.1 million, and Texas got pitcher Yu Darvish from the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters before the 2012 season for $51.7 million. Those figures don't include the players' contracts with the new teams.
"I think the concerns with the system was it was a blind bidding process that led to inflated numbers," Manfred said, "and that those inflated numbers make that market unavailable to a broad cross-section of our teams."
Tanaka, a 25-year-old right-hander, went a 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA during the regular season for the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan's Pacific League.
Without an agreement, Japanese players would not be able to sign with MLB until they had nine years of service time
"If that's the way we get Japanese professionals, I think that the 30 major league clubs are prepared to live with that result," Manfred said.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been called a cancer by former teammates. One story about him was that he kicked the Giants trainer in the groin after the trainer asked him whether he was hurt from getting hit. In another story, pitchers claimed that he'd refuse to go over batters with them because he wanted to play cards or something.

That was years ago though, so things may have changed...

Just saw him on a list of the biggest jerks in baseball today. I think he was in the top 5.

That is more than enough for me to PASS.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Brewers go after another free agent starting pitcher and a first baseman.

As far as 1B is concerned, I'd like to see the Brewers re-sign Corey Hart if his knee is okay or go after James Loney. I realize Loney isn't much of a power hitter, but considering how much the Brewer bats can mash, it's not a concern.

As for SP, perhaps Paul Maholm? They could use a lefty in the rotation and he does have experience pitching in the. NL Central.

Other than that, the Brewers don't really have much for needs. They have a solid lineup with Braun coming back. Biggest concern for the Brewers is that they just need to get healthy. I was surprised the Brewers offense was still able to produce with Braun (he was hurt before the suspension), Ramirez, and Hart missing the entire (or most of) the season. They've also shown that they do have some decent young arms down in AAA. I hope Thornburg can put together some consistency because he showed that he can be a pretty solid pitcher if he can keep his pitch count down.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Brewers go after another free agent starting pitcher and a first baseman.

As far as 1B is concerned, I'd like to see the Brewers re-sign Corey Hart if his knee is okay or go after James Loney. I realize Loney isn't much of a power hitter, but considering how much the Brewer bats can mash, it's not a concern.

As for SP, perhaps Paul Maholm? They could use a lefty in the rotation and he does have experience pitching in the. NL Central.

Other than that, the Brewers don't really have much for needs. They have a solid lineup with Braun coming back. Biggest concern for the Brewers is that they just need to get healthy. I was surprised the Brewers offense was still able to produce with Braun (he was hurt before the suspension), Ramirez, and Hart missing the entire (or most of) the season. They've also shown that they do have some decent young arms down in AAA. I hope Thornburg can put together some consistency because he showed that he can be a pretty solid pitcher if he can keep his pitch count down.

Hart has said he would take a team friendly deal, and he may even be able t play some OF, so I don't know why the Brewers wouldn't just bring Hart back on a 3 year deal.

They do need pitching and a guy like Maholm would be a good fit. Even a guy like Bronson Arroyo. How about Scott Baker, if he is finally healthy? Is it time to cut bait with Yovani Gallardo? He seems like he will not be more than a #3 type starter, and maybe he could fetch a decent return from a playoff contender looking to get one solid season.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know the Brewers and Mets were discussing an Ike Davis trade so that could be an answer at first. I think right now GMs are for the most part just feeling each other out, getting an idea of what's available and what the going rate for certain players are, I expect things to really get moving during the winter meetings in December.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Brewers and Mets were discussing an Ike Davis trade so that could be an answer at first. I think right now GMs are for the most part just feeling each other out, getting an idea of what's available and what the going rate for certain players are, I expect things to really get moving during the winter meetings in December.

Yes. I definitely expect a lot of movement at the WM's this year. So many teams are contending or close now that they are all looking for those final pieces.

I expect more trades than in recent memory.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
43 new free agents | Metsblog

This usually helps get the hot stove moving, especially in a market with his prices. Typically, GMs pull back and wait to see who gets non-tendered because it adds a bit more supply to the playing field. Next – and usually at the Winter Meetings – they’ll start drilling down on trade scenarios, which then puts even more downward pressure on the price of free agents, at which point top guys start grabbing at new deals

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's a busy day.