• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Season Wrapup

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is that.

I don't exactly know where to begin, but I feel like typing up just my analysis on everything.

Must say that I am happy with the turnaround. After a shitty start, even where I questioned Giroux, how we came back was truly remarkable. I guess that is where I should start, where the turnaround began. Laviolette getting fired. It was time. After the 2012 Devils loss I questioned his coaching and ability to coach beyond voodoo "Play with jam" bullshit. We saw the same mistakes from the 2013 half season at this season's start. Berube has been a welcome change. That being said I don't think he is a long term solution. He was a solid pickup on the fly, but I hioe we explore the coaching market this summer. That is not going to happen though.

Giroux and Voracek. Giroux did his thing this year, and I couldn't be happier. After his golf accident recovery Giroux of old came to play. This 1st round series leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The points were there, but the play wasn't. Tonight he was great. The first six games not so much. If this was any other team than NYR I'd be pretty pissed with his play. I wish he could've done more but the Rangers are the team to shut him down. Voracek is the total inverse of Giroux for me. After a beastly half season he didn't seem to bring that play this year. Then that changed this series where he was our best skater IMO.

The second line. (I'm considering this Simmonds-Schenn-Lecavalier) This is a bit of a disaster. Simmonds was great by himself. No complaints there. Schenn is what he is for now, a streaky 2nd liner. Vin...yeah. After his great start his play went down hill. The 2nd line just didn't work, and I want to blame that on Vin. If we could trade Vinny, you do it. There just is not a good fit. I expect Schenn to explode next season, and I'd prefer Lecavalier isn't on his wing slowing him down.

The 3rd line. Pretend Downie never happened. Loved Akeson's play in the playoffs. Read is Read. Couturier stunk against the Rangers these past few, and I am going to guess he is hurt. Regardless he developed just as I had hoped. While I think Schenn will explode, Couturier's development is going to be a lot more linear. 45 points next year with elite defense is all I ask.

Adam Hall. Solid PKer and a great faceoff man. 5 on 5 though, forget about it. Hall's spot is Laughton's at this point. Raffl is awesome. Solid bottom sixer. I don't really like his offensive upside, so I'd keep him on the 4th. Rinaldo...I'm down with him. His hits are fun, his speed sometimes comes in handy, but that is about it. I just don't him being worth the liability going forward.

I hated him at the start, but Streit wound up being the man. By far our best blueliner this year. When he is on he is exactly what we have been missing. The contract is not pretty, but his play is. Kimmo hit the wall this season. Thanks for the memories Kimmo, but it is over. He can not be playing next year over Gus or Ghost. Luke...meh. AMac was a solid pickup, but I dislike the contract and wish Gus was playing all along. Grossmann fell apart this year. Even if his play could pick up next year I don't want him back. This team can't skate, especially the D. Again, Gus and Ghost. Less DFD vets, more mobile kids.

After this shit show of a game tonight I'll reserve judgement on Coburn.

And then was Steve Mason. I had no expectations for him and prepared myself for the worst. Boy was I wrong. We have our goalie, or so it seems. I don't expect his play from the playoffs to carry over, though. He is still a solid #1 that I actually seem to have faith in.

So this summer. I...am clueless. I really have no clue what the hell is in store. Who do we draft? Who do we sign? Who do we trade? Is Homer gone? I think we have a big trade in store. Not Pronger trade big, but something along those lines.

That is that. I am sure draft talk will heat up in a few weeks and rumors will be here in no time. And yes, I realize this is the most bland, basic analysis possible.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is that.

I don't exactly know where to begin, but I feel like typing up just my analysis on everything.

Must say that I am happy with the turnaround. After a shitty start, even where I questioned Giroux, how we came back was truly remarkable. I guess that is where I should start, where the turnaround began. Laviolette getting fired. It was time. After the 2012 Devils loss I questioned his coaching and ability to coach beyond voodoo "Play with jam" bullshit. We saw the same mistakes from the 2013 half season at this season's start. Berube has been a welcome change. That being said I don't think he is a long term solution. He was a solid pickup on the fly, but I hioe we explore the coaching market this summer. That is not going to happen though.

Giroux and Voracek. Giroux did his thing this year, and I couldn't be happier. After his golf accident recovery Giroux of old came to play. This 1st round series leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The points were there, but the play wasn't. Tonight he was great. The first six games not so much. If this was any other team than NYR I'd be pretty pissed with his play. I wish he could've done more but the Rangers are the team to shut him down. Voracek is the total inverse of Giroux for me. After a beastly half season he didn't seem to bring that play this year. Then that changed this series where he was our best skater IMO.

The second line. (I'm considering this Simmonds-Schenn-Lecavalier) This is a bit of a disaster. Simmonds was great by himself. No complaints there. Schenn is what he is for now, a streaky 2nd liner. Vin...yeah. After his great start his play went down hill. The 2nd line just didn't work, and I want to blame that on Vin. If we could trade Vinny, you do it. There just is not a good fit. I expect Schenn to explode next season, and I'd prefer Lecavalier isn't on his wing slowing him down.

The 3rd line. Pretend Downie never happened. Loved Akeson's play in the playoffs. Read is Read. Couturier stunk against the Rangers these past few, and I am going to guess he is hurt. Regardless he developed just as I had hoped. While I think Schenn will explode, Couturier's development is going to be a lot more linear. 45 points next year with elite defense is all I ask.

Adam Hall. Solid PKer and a great faceoff man. 5 on 5 though, forget about it. Hall's spot is Laughton's at this point. Raffl is awesome. Solid bottom sixer. I don't really like his offensive upside, so I'd keep him on the 4th. Rinaldo...I'm down with him. His hits are fun, his speed sometimes comes in handy, but that is about it. I just don't him being worth the liability going forward.

I hated him at the start, but Streit wound up being the man. By far our best blueliner this year. When he is on he is exactly what we have been missing. The contract is not pretty, but his play is. Kimmo hit the wall this season. Thanks for the memories Kimmo, but it is over. He can not be playing next year over Gus or Ghost. Luke...meh. AMac was a solid pickup, but I dislike the contract and wish Gus was playing all along. Grossmann fell apart this year. Even if his play could pick up next year I don't want him back. This team can't skate, especially the D. Again, Gus and Ghost. Less DFD vets, more mobile kids.

After this shit show of a game tonight I'll reserve judgement on Coburn.

And then was Steve Mason. I had no expectations for him and prepared myself for the worst. Boy was I wrong. We have our goalie, or so it seems. I don't expect his play from the playoffs to carry over, though. He is still a solid #1 that I actually seem to have faith in.

So this summer. I...am clueless. I really have no clue what the hell is in store. Who do we draft? Who do we sign? Who do we trade? Is Homer gone? I think we have a big trade in store. Not Pronger trade big, but something along those lines.

That is that. I am sure draft talk will heat up in a few weeks and rumors will be here in no time. And yes, I realize this is the most bland, basic analysis possible.

1) I think Craig Berube did some good things(he was needed in this situation), I'm not sure how much of a long term solution he is considering how easily coaches get replaced but as long as he learns in the offseason and makes some smarter, less conservative decisions then he should be fine

2) I think the play was there from G and the assists were there, he just didn't score a ton - but in reality, he was a what, 27 goal scorer in the regular season and he scored two goals in this series? Two isn't terrible but I'm sure it could be better - I would like to see him shoot a little more but he's so good by being the playmaker he is - Jake was tremendous and he's growing every year, I think next season you'll see even more from him

3) The second line was bad - it just didn't have enough speed and consistency - Vinny had a lot to do with it and if they can trade/buy him out I would really consider it, he was just never healthy - he had a great start but struggled for the rest of the season pretty much - they need more speed at forward, kind of like the Rangers - I would see if they could move Scott Hartnell for a more speedy guy - and Brayden Schenn, I want to believe that he can make the next step but I'm not too sure - maybe the line holds him down a bit, but I dunno - Simmer was great this season and I expect him to continue this play going forward

4) Steve Downie is without a doubt a goner, but even though he was bad the third line was still great - I remember they had a stretch in December where they were great and dominated some games - Matt Read is Matt Read, he's reliable and he's a key part of this team - I thought Couts had stretches where he was great and stretches where he could have been better - I'd like to see them not be as conservative with him, he has the tools to be more offensive, but without a doubt, he's strong defensively

5) I would definitely like to keep Adam Hall in the fold, he doesn't give you the offense but he is a key part of the PK being as good as it is - he can be a guy that can alternate on the fourth line - Scott Laughton will definitely be up next season and I would like to see him be able to give some offense to that fourth line, especially 5 on 5 - Michael Raffl is definitely a keeper and I think you'll see his offense improve too - Zac Rinaldo, he's a good hitter and overall he wasn't bad this season(he gave them lots of energy and when he was out in January it hurt them and once he came back it helped them), but he has no offense and still has bad penalties from time to time

6) Mark Streit should be the top guy on this defense, he was a 40 point guy and didn't get any first PP time - Kimmo, as much as I love him, can't be counted on as the guy, he should retire - Braydon Coburn, he has good moments and bad moments, he can skate real well but his lack of smarts have gotten on me - I'd consider moving him if they can get a good haul - A-Mac is solid and steady and you want him with Mark Streit - Nicklas Grossmann was not that good early on but got better - he doesn't give you speed but I guess he's still okay - Luke Schenn is 50/50, he actually played well in this series but I don't know if he's part of the future or not - with guys like Ghost, Robert Hagg and Samuel Morin waiting in the wings, I'm not sure if you want to invest too much in this defense - if they can get some cap space by making other moves, they can go after Matt Niskanen

7) Steve Mason is without a doubt the number one, he's really talented and it made a big difference in the series - they need to get a better backup, while Ray Emery had some good games in the regular season and even played well in Game 2, it's obvious that he's not able to rely on his talent and I'd rather have someone a little more talented - curious who might be available

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to type something here and contribute but my brain is mush at this point, I cannot think so I will save you all a bunch of whinning and crying and not type anything right now.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between Cobie and Flyerfan there isn't much to add now is there?

I don't foresee anything huge in the offing...but who saw both Carter and Richards being dealt?

I was a Mason believer from Columbus, Emery is an okay backup but will he want that role? Coburn may be a flippable commodity and his potential return value may surprise...or not...I keep the Schenns, for now. They are finally both in a stable organization where they can grow as players. Luke improved gradually through the season in his positional play and avoiding getting caught flat footed...Brayden is still growing and maturing...Power forwards take time and patience.

AMac, not a problem. Streit grew on me and Guss is a good mobile alternative to Timmonen. Grossmann is broken down and frankly as much of a liability as a help against fast teams. Great work ethic and attitude, but the tank be empty.

As for forwards...they need something...but I don't know what, and I don't know how much of it is that they had a lot of walking wounded who were half stride off their usual skating speed or how much is it that they really are that slow....but they do need as a team to get not just faster but quicker. First step burst, think Mark Recchi, DannyB, and Giroux. Players who are at top speed after a stride and have quick feet in close, who don't need a lot of room to generate and maintain speed.

All in all, they went from lottery bound to the playoffs. That is a lot of entertaining hockey they provided. As you all know I thought this was a flawed team from the start...and in some ways it still is. But it is basically a good solid group that with a little tinkering could do a lot of damage.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Luke Shenn had a great season and was our best D-Man in the playoffs

Rangers are a deep tough team who gives us matchup problems

Mason has proven he can lead going forward

Bye Bye Downie,Timmo it was a good run and you were a good Flyer
Vinny will not be dealt due to his deal. I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt 100%
Brayden Shenn is frustrating yet we have to realize he is still very young

Coburn I would field offer for. If we could get a good pick or young forward I would pull the trigger
Giroux was a fucking animal once he turned it on
Simmonds is proving he is an elite power forward in the NHL
Hartnell... man its hard but his best days are behind him. I wouldnt be aginst seeing what the market is for him as well
Raffl. Didnt do anything in playoffs. Rookie player who deseves another look
Akeson Played well. Very small and easily knocked off the puck. I dont see him in future plans
Hall is a great depth player who played his role as well as expected
Rinaldo. I think he has worn out his welcome. We could get the same player with some touch and brains
AMac solid player going forward
Striet man cog going forward
Shenn i think is ready to take a huge step forward
Grossman valuble piece
Gusty deserves a chance
Emery thanks for the memories

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vinny will not be dealt due to his deal. I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt 100%

Coburn I would field offer for. If we could get a good pick or young forward I would pull the trigger
Hartnell... man its hard but his best days are behind him. I wouldnt be aginst seeing what the market is for him as well
Akeson Played well. Very small and easily knocked off the puck. I dont see him in future plans
Rinaldo. I think he has worn out his welcome. We could get the same player with some touch and brains
Grossman valuble piece
Gusty deserves a chance

pretty much agree w/ all of this. i'd like to see akey get a look in camp next year, but if i were him i'd try to add 10-15 lbs this summer. he got knocked around like a rag-doll in game 7. still found a way to score though so he deserves at least a look IMO

i also still think coburn plays a bigger role than people recognize. he makes boneheaded plays, but his speed on a slow defense, and defensive skill are a valuable commodity for the team. i dont move him unless you get a 1st round pick and a quality defensive prospect for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm holding off on my assessment for about a week until the injury list actually comes out. I'd be surprised if Hartnell wasn't dealing with some sort of injury.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty much agree w/ all of this. i'd like to see akey get a look in camp next year, but if i were him i'd try to add 10-15 lbs this summer. he got knocked around like a rag-doll in game 7. still found a way to score though so he deserves at least a look IMO

i also still think coburn plays a bigger role than people recognize. he makes boneheaded plays, but his speed on a slow defense, and defensive skill are a valuable commodity for the team. i dont move him unless you get a 1st round pick and a quality defensive prospect for him.

That's why it's tough to evaluate Braydon Coburn, I want to love him but he's just dumb and I can't stand players who are dumb - he makes bad decisions like icing the puck when he can just take it to center ice and then dump it in - and passes to the feet of Hal Gill was not good either - but he's fast and has skill and they need that - but I don't think he should be an automatic keeper though - they should look at moving him if they can and get a lot of value in return for him

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Grossman valuble piece
Gusty deserves a chance

I agree on your assessment with the exception of Akeson, thought he played really well for the Flyers in this series with the exception of that penalty in game 1.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Akeson's energy and at times he was the spark to ignite his line when nothing else was working, he will make next years roster, also I would like to see Ghost make the squad outta camp next year as well, everything else above I agree with.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Akeson's energy and at times he was the spark to ignite his line when nothing else was working, he will make next years roster, also I would like to see Ghost make the squad outta camp next year as well, everything else above I agree with.

No doubt, I think Jason Akeson's skill will be needed on this roster too - he gives you speed and skill and the Flyers need some more of that up front - I feel like they've slacked just a bit in that area

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between Cobie and Flyerfan there isn't much to add now is there?

I don't foresee anything huge in the offing...but who saw both Carter and Richards being dealt?

I was a Mason believer from Columbus, Emery is an okay backup but will he want that role? Coburn may be a flippable commodity and his potential return value may surprise...or not...I keep the Schenns, for now. They are finally both in a stable organization where they can grow as players. Luke improved gradually through the season in his positional play and avoiding getting caught flat footed...Brayden is still growing and maturing...Power forwards take time and patience.

AMac, not a problem. Streit grew on me and Guss is a good mobile alternative to Timmonen. Grossmann is broken down and frankly as much of a liability as a help against fast teams. Great work ethic and attitude, but the tank be empty.

As for forwards...they need something...but I don't know what, and I don't know how much of it is that they had a lot of walking wounded who were half stride off their usual skating speed or how much is it that they really are that slow....but they do need as a team to get not just faster but quicker. First step burst, think Mark Recchi, DannyB, and Giroux. Players who are at top speed after a stride and have quick feet in close, who don't need a lot of room to generate and maintain speed.

All in all, they went from lottery bound to the playoffs. That is a lot of entertaining hockey they provided. As you all know I thought this was a flawed team from the start...and in some ways it still is. But it is basically a good solid group that with a little tinkering could do a lot of damage.

I'm curious how much input Chief is going to have in the roster this offseason, as far as bringing in guys who will fit his system - I'm sure he'd like to add more speed to the lineup - might be a factor in letting Vinny go, we'll see

And yes, this team was extremely entertaining - great to watch - keep tinkering and this team will go further in the future

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to find out who was hurt and make decisions based on that. A healthy Vinny won't play 4th line center. They'll definitely add Laughton I could see him with any of the top 3 lines probably on the wing. Harts also had to be hurt. All of this will make the lineup stronger from top to bottom as the young guys will only get better with age.

D will be very interesting I expect one of the young guys to make it. If Timonen stays it will be in a lesser role but he could be very good if he's a 4/5. It would also allow them to not rush a young guy. I think Gusty deserves a decent shot. He looked very good calm good passes vast improvement. They have a lot of midrange dmen so who knows if a young guy impresses one may get moved. Just not sure if Coburn should be that guy...as he can skate.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 2 mentioned make me think-What the fuck happened to Wellwood and Lauridsen?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 mentioned make me think-What the fuck happened to Wellwood and Lauridsen?

Eric Wellwood had that nasty skate incident in the minors and hasn't been able to come back yet - and Ollie was in the minors this season

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to find out who was hurt and make decisions based on that. A healthy Vinny won't play 4th line center. They'll definitely add Laughton I could see him with any of the top 3 lines probably on the wing. Harts also had to be hurt. All of this will make the lineup stronger from top to bottom as the young guys will only get better with age.

D will be very interesting I expect one of the young guys to make it. If Timonen stays it will be in a lesser role but he could be very good if he's a 4/5. It would also allow them to not rush a young guy. I think Gusty deserves a decent shot. He looked very good calm good passes vast improvement. They have a lot of midrange dmen so who knows if a young guy impresses one may get moved. Just not sure if Coburn should be that guy...as he can skate.

I'm sure a few guys had some issues but I don't think they were that banged up - obviously we knew Nicklas Grossmann was banged up all year, same with Kimmo and Vinny but I don't think anyone else was that badly banged up

Gus has to be in the top six somehow - and Kimmo would have to accept a way lower salary and lesser role, I'm not sure if he would do that

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Wellwood had that nasty skate incident in the minors and hasn't been able to come back yet - and Ollie was in the minors this season

Knew about Wellwood's injury,but he fucked up his chances last year by getting lazy.Lauridsen's window of opportunity is also closing rapidly,as he was slated to take a job this year.He's turning into another Janveski.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knew about Wellwood's injury,but he fucked up his chances last year by getting lazy.Lauridsen's window of opportunity is also closing rapidly,as he was slated to take a job this year.He's turning into another Janveski.

Ollie has a one way deal next season so either he's going to be on the big club or he's going to be in another organization - maybe he forces himself onto the roster but that's still up to the team whether they think he's good enough at this point