• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks Offense 2013

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part I see the Seahawks using is the Quick pass combined with a draw play. That play will force the defender to either cover Harvin thus opening up the draw play for Lynch or the defender can plug the running play leaving Harvin open.

This play could be used over and over and no matter what the defender did...it would be wrong. The thought of what Harvin could do with this quick pass, puts a smile on my face. Of course Lynch would benefit also.

Plays like these IMO is why the Seahawks traded for Harvin.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I see viewers but no posters, come on now...add your thoughts! Hey Screaming I see your here ...add a post!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before and I think everybody knows it, but having Harvin on the roster now opens up so many possibilities offensively that weren't there even during the second half of last season when we were putting up video game numbers towards the end. We'll still be running the ball quite a bit, but the defense won't be able to focus on just Lynch anymore, as you said, which allows us to do so much more just from that standpoint. What it will also do is keep Beast Mode fresh for when he does get the ball, which still figures to be quite often. The one thing that can't be overlooked in all this is who we have calling the plays. Bevell is very familiar with what Harvin brings to the table and he knows what to call to get the best out of him.

Finally, what we have now (and it really started towards the end of last season) is an offense that is plenty capable of carrying the team if necessary. With so many new faces being plugged into the defense, Carroll is going to have to see where and how everybody fits on that side of the ball and that could be a longer process than it otherwise would have been now that Irvin has to sit out for a month. If we still had an offense like the one we started last season with, that might be a much bigger issue, but an offense capable of carrying the team (knock on wood) should afford Carroll the time to work out the kinks on defense if there are any going into the regular season, beyond where Irvin fits into it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, going back to what I was saying earlier about Bevell... I remember there were a few people after last season that were ready to run him out of town despite the offensive explosion in the final two months or so. How different might things be right now, just in terms of personnel, if those people had gotten their wish and he'd moved on to another team? Does Harvin even agree to come here if Bevell is somewhere else?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah posters were unset with the conservative play calling the first half of the season. Many blamed Bevell, but always thought that was more due to Pete not wanting to take too many chances with a green rookie out on the field. Second half of the season you could see they felt more comfortable With Wilson decision making. I also think they could have trusted Wilson a bit more in the first half of the season. It worked out at the end.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Does Harvin even agree to come here if Bevell is somewhere else?

Harvin was looking to get paid and have someone capable throwing the ball so he would've agreed to go to the Seahawks or any team willing to pay him that had a capable QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin was looking to get paid and have someone capable throwing the ball so he would've agreed to go to the Seahawks or any team willing to pay him that had a capable QB.

I agree mostly with what you said. I might add being a contender helps and so did being familiar with Bevell, Rice etc. I sure there are other teams he would have been OK with going to besides the Seahawks.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat me to it Hammer!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah posters were unset with the conservative play calling the first half of the season. Many blamed Bevell, but always thought that was more due to Pete not wanting to take too many chances with a green rookie out on the field. Second half of the season you could see they felt more comfortable With Wilson decision making. I also think they could have trusted Wilson a bit more in the first half of the season. It worked out at the end.

The problem with bevell wasn't just the smaller playbook for Wilson as he progressed, but the down right guaranteed predictable calls within that smaller book. We sat game after game and probably had a 75% accuracy on calling what was coming next and if idiots on a couch can do that what were pro DC's doing?

I'm not saying Bevell should be run out of town. Clearly things got in a grove for everyone going down the stretch, but I'm not sure how much of that is Wilson's ability to adapt inside of each play and how much of it is play calling.

How many games did Seattle lose by a TD or less with chances to tie or win going into the final seconds? If Bevell just does something creative one time in ANY of those games the Seahawks win the west and have home field after a bye. How much different would that have been for them in the post season? Despite how bad they looked over the first half of the season they only ended up a half game back for the division.

Was that half game something that could/should have been overcame? And does Bevell draw any of the responsibility for not doing so?

Will Bevell be a different play caller now with more weapons and no more training wheels on his QB? Of course he will. He will have his chance to earn back the trust and respect of those fans still lost on him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always feel awkward defending Bevell because I just wasn't that happy with his hire. However I supported him for a couple of reasons. 1) If your going to criticize for the first half of the season then you should credit him for the second half. 2) I do not want to see OC turnstile that Alex Smith went thru.
I don't think Bevell a genius but I do think he'll do. Lets see how he does this year!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More or less what I said, but in fewer words. :-D

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only issue I had with the Seahawks offense last season was that their play calling was so conservative that it almost seemed that they themselves weren't sure that Wilson was the right choice to start. Their play calling allowed the "start Flynn" fans to have arguments about him stepping back in as a starter for the first 6 to 8 games of the season. Luckily, Wilson is one of those rare people who are capable to focus so intently on their goal that outside distractions are nonexistent.

Despite the play-calling of the first half, there was more than one game where the loss was because receivers couldn't keep their hands on the ball.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahem brother! I was a Wilson fan from before the draft. I was telling posters that I thought Wilson could win the Starting position from day one. OMG I got a lot of grief for that!
Then they name Wilson the starter and act like they think he couldn't handle the job. It was tough. I never stop believing in Wilson and I was so happy when they finally unleashed him.

I am so looking forward to his play this year. I think he is going be awesome!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahem brother! I was a Wilson fan from before the draft. I was telling posters that I thought Wilson could win the Starting position from day one. OMG I got a lot of grief for that!
Then they name Wilson the starter and act like they think he couldn't handle the job. It was tough. I never stop believing in Wilson and I was so happy when they finally unleashed him.

I am so looking forward to his play this year. I think he is going be awesome!

Yeah, in a mock that I did with Kagezilla on cbs that year I had the Seahawks taking Wilson in the 5th. I expected then that he'd push Flynn and Jackson, though I admit that I was more of the opinion of letting Flynn take a beating last year as the young line grew into their own and then start Wilson after that, but hey, it all worked out.

I actually have had some decent success predicting Pete Carroll's overall drafts:

Russell Okung
Earl Thomas
Cam Chancellor

Richard Sherman

Bobby Wagner
Russell Wilson (though I had him going in the 5th)
Robert Turbin

Traded first pick with Baltimore (though I chose Matheiu)
Jordan Hill (Though I had him going in the 5th)
Tharold Simon

I like to dwell on when I'm right :yahoo:

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:I recall that you have hit the nail on the head as far as the draft's go.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy to see almost the same offense from last year. Of course the exception is that Golden Tate is the #3 receiver. So in the base offense, he wouldn't be a starter. I wouldn't have him necessarily locked in the slot because you can disguise your offense if Percy can be in the slot, lined up as a RB, or be your #2 guy.

If anyone can supplant Breno, or he just improves in general, making less mental mistakes.

I think the line being the same, and Carpenter has a breakthrough year, and maybe 2 running backs breaking the 800 yd mark.