• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks Offense 2013

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good article on what the Seahawks offense may do with Harvin. The part I like is imaging Harvin running the wheel route rather then Turbin. Oh man the possibilities can make your head whirl.

Kingdome fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Wilson...

McCoys's injury is possibly a blessing in disguise. I have a good feeling that Luke will be a gifted deep threat.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only issue I had with the Seahawks offense last season was that their play calling was so conservative that it almost seemed that they themselves weren't sure that Wilson was the right choice to start. Their play calling allowed the "start Flynn" fans to have arguments about him stepping back in as a starter for the first 6 to 8 games of the season. Luckily, Wilson is one of those rare people who are capable to focus so intently on their goal that outside distractions are nonexistent.

Despite the play-calling of the first half, there was more than one game where the loss was because receivers couldn't keep their hands on the ball.

I think you hit on something big here. There was a stubbornness to the offense in the early going that was both good and bad. The good was that they stubbornly kept Wilson in there despite mounting calls for a change as the season went on, but the bad was the play-calling that led to those calls for a change in the first place. What some people continued to ignore was that Carroll had said that, even with Flynn in there, the play-calling likely wouldn't have been much different from how they were calling it with Wilson in there in the early going. They thought a change to Flynn would mean an end to the "stuck in mud" offense we were running and while Wilson may or may not have been ready for the wide open style that they eventually ended up playing early on, the play-calling was so conservative that it made Wilson look like the problem, when he most certainly wasn't.

Now, with the advantage of hindsight, keeping Wilson in there was the right call to make, but where would Bevell be, where would this team be, if they'd made the switch to Flynn when a lot of people were calling for it and maybe opened up the playbook a little in the process, instead of sticking with Wilson and opening up the playbook a lot in the second half of the season? I think it's safe to assume that we wouldn't have been putting up 37 points a game in the last 6 games (and yes, I understand that some of those points were provided by the defense directly, but the offense was still scoring plenty on its own in that stretch).

There were many "what if's" last season on offense that hopefully won't be a "what if" this season.