• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks contact NFL front office about hit on Russell Wilson

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks contact NFL front office about hit on Russell Wilson

Quarterback Russell Wilson has been taking a lot of big hits already this year, more than we’re used to seeing after his skillful dodging and evading at the end of last season. The Seahawks are understandably concerned about keeping him healthy, and the lack of protection under NFL rules for quarterbacks on read-option plays is raising some questions.

In particular, there was one big hit in Sunday’s 49ers stompdown that had head coach Pete Carroll concerned enough about his young star signal-caller that he has contacted the league office.

With 7:29 remaining in the second quarter, facing second-and-7 at the San Francisco 26-yard line and having just been flattened on a three-yard scramble, Wilson took the snap on a read-option play and stared down unguarded Niners linebacker Ahmad Brooks on the line. Brooks rushed full-speed at the QB so Wilson let Marshawn Lynch take the ball — and Wilson got lit up by Brooks.

Having just witnessed two big hits on his quarterback, Carroll was livid. He wanted a flag for Brooks’ hit — but for the nature of the hit (Brooks led with his helmet), not for the fact Wilson was hit in the first place.

Because on those read-option plays, the quarterback isn’t protected by NFL rules the same way he is after getting off a pass. On a running play such as those read-option looks, the quarterback is involved in misdirection and is therefore fair game for the defense until he has backed up and removed himself from the play completely.

“I think the rules are pretty clear,” Carroll said Monday at his post-49ers press conference. “If the officials deem that he is still a part of the running-game fake, they’re treated like a runner. That’s it. And I think in that situation, it was close — the one (Wilson) got pounded on, it was close. The official was right on it, he saw it; he felt like it was all part of the extension of the running game.

“I wasn’t questioning that at all. I was questioning (Brooks’) hit — the hit with the helmet and the placement of it. That’s all. And we talked to the league office about it (Monday) and they will have some information for us later in the week. We will know more about (the rule). But they are investigating about it. They want to get the language really clear. They’re really trying hard to get this right and they’re doing a good job with it.”

The NFL did not immediately reply to a seattlepi.com request for comment on Carroll’s inquiry. Updated 7:57 p.m.: An NFL spokesman said the league does not comment on confidential communications with teams.

In an age when the NFL is so concerned about player safety, and with the read-option gaining in popularity, the vulnerability of the quarterback has become a league-wide issue. And it’s not just Wilson and the Seahawks who are feeling the big hits — running QBs like S.F.’s Colin Kaepernick and Washington’s Robert Griffin III have also been eating a lot of turf already this season.

Seahawks contact NFL front office about hit on Russell Wilson - Seattle Seahawks & NFL News

They should look into the "Chop" at the line too that got SanFrans NT injured because the DLine players are just getting too big these days i believe Aldon Smith brought something up about it after game.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone has free time and the ability to cut & past this play to our forum, I'd be interested in seeing it. Isn't this very similar to what Harbaugh was asking for?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will defend the hit. Even if its Kaep, when you run the read option you are vulnerable and are considered a runner. How do defenses know if he will hand it off or run it himself.

It's a judgement call. You can't penalize a guy for trying to make the right read.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone has free time and the ability to cut & past this play to our forum, I'd be interested in seeing it. Isn't this very similar to what Harbaugh was asking for?

Il try and find it later if it is out there.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will defend the hit. Even if its Kaep, when you run the read option you are vulnerable and are considered a runner. How do defenses know if he will hand it off or run it himself.

It's a judgement call. You can't penalize a guy for trying to make the right read.

Yeah i tend to agree because i can see it being abused behind the line maybe,the "Chop" though i want removed you should not go for players knee's etc at the line like that.

During the game when the Niner lineman sorry forgot his name,went down there was a few of us that said they should look into that or just remove it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes it is but it's a moot point. If they protect the QB then there is absolutely no chance of stopping the QB.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His complaint is leading with the helmet.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I agree with him. Leading with the helmet is bs and I don't agree with anyone doing that.

Beastmode frowns on not using his helmet,he even said he feel's not like playing anymore :lol:

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you can penalize a guy for leading with the crown of the helmet, which is what PC was complaining about.

It appears to me that the league is trying to stop the read option by making it legal to hit the QB on those plays and in turn, teams will stop calling them to preserve their QB, who is much to valuable to lose on a gimmick type play.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you can penalize a guy for leading with the crown of the helmet, which is what PC was complaining about.

It appears to me that the league is trying to stop the read option by making it legal to hit the QB on those plays and in turn, teams will stop calling them to preserve their QB, who is much to valuable to lose on a gimmick type play.

Interesting,maybe that's why we have been seeing RG3,Kaep,Wilson moving away from it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The league (owners) are looking out for their most valuable commodity. Having your QB in dangerous situations, multiple times a game isn't good business.

It makes sense.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed... Defenses deserve at least that.... Like you said you don't know who has the ball so a defender can't just tip toe to the spot he has to make a decisions... It's not like defenders can pull off and illegal hit it's just a normal tackle like you would to any ball carrier... I thought it was legit when Wilson got hit and there was nothing malicious... QB's just have to be ready for it and prepare ...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought it was a clean hit on Wilson, that is until i saw the replay and saw the Defender Lower his head and hit Wilson right under his facemask with the crown of his helmet. Lucky Wilson did not tip his head back or he could have had his jaw broken.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/15/ahmad-brooks-leveled-russell-wilson-on-the-read-option/

Watch the bottom one you can see the Defender DROP his head to make contact with his crown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought it was a clean hit on Wilson, that is until i saw the replay and saw the Defender Lower his head and hit Wilson right under his facemask with the crown of his helmet. Lucky Wilson did not tip his head back or he could have had his jaw broken.

Ahmad Brooks Leveled Russell Wilson on the Read Option | The Big Lead

Watch the bottom one you can see the Defender DROP his head to make contact with his crown.

I saw it, and what's why Pete was freaking out on the sideline shouting at the Ref.

Edit: it was blatant.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, maybe Brooks dropped the helmet a little but aimed for the chest. Honestly, I think if Brooks had kept his head up, the hit could have done more damage, possibly even concussing Wilson. It is really tough for defenders in the league right now. I'm okay with having a good look at it but that was pretty much impossible to call at the time it happened. Had Russell been down for a while, the refs may have called something but he was clearly alright so they figured it was clean. Tough call either way. We get the benefit of seeing it over and over slowed down. The refs don't have that luxury in the heat of the moment.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ahmad Brooks Leveled Russell Wilson on the Read Option | The Big Lead

I understand that he dropped his head, but here is the problem. If he DOESN'T drop his head, he will clearly hit him helmet to helmet which would draw a flag.

The NFL needs to go ahead and figure out if they are going to continue to protect the QB and the QB during read option plays or not. Until then, more QBs will take more shots like the one you see here unless teams just go away from the read option all together.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but Pete saw it very close and well yah luckily nothing happened so.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, maybe Brooks dropped the helmet a little but aimed for the chest. Honestly, I think if Brooks had kept his head up, the hit could have done more damage, possibly even concussing Wilson. It is really tough for defenders in the league right now. I'm okay with having a good look at it but that was pretty much impossible to call at the time it happened. Had Russell been down for a while, the refs may have called something but he was clearly alright so they figured it was clean. Tough call either way. We get the benefit of seeing it over and over slowed down. The refs don't have that luxury in the heat of the moment.

:agree: