• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks coaching options

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of us been upset with the lousy defenses the Seahawks have been putting on the field. So got me thinking about this coach:

1705173509935.png

Someone who knows how to make a 3-4 defense work well. I like many here prefer a 4=3 but think that is because that is what I'm use to seeing here in Seattle, there are some very good 3-4 defenses. Might make sense not to flip back to a 4-3 considering the time put in to building it. Just a thought. As for everyone's favorite choice, Ben Johnson he is going to be hard to land:

1705173833384.png

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just reading a article talking about Quinn being the heavy favorite to become Seahawks HC, however the article had a twist. It mentioned that Jones( Cowboy owner) might fire McCarthy and make Quinn the HC depending on how the playoffs go. Then the connection between JS and McCarty was mentioned and the possibility of McCarty becoming Seahawks HC. I know I don't like idea at all as McCarty has always been sort of iffy as HC IMO. Rather see someone else, sure makes Quinn more attractive. :lol:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just reading a article talking about Quinn being the heavy favorite to become Seahawks HC, however the article had a twist. It mentioned that Jones( Cowboy owner) might fire McCarthy and make Quinn the HC depending on how the playoffs go. Then the connection between JS and McCarty was mentioned and the possibility of McCarty becoming Seahawks HC. I know I don't like idea at all as McCarty has always been sort of iffy as HC IMO. Rather see someone else, sure makes Quinn more attractive. :lol:

I may protest the season if we hire McCarthy.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quinn is the status quo pick, underwhelming and creates not much enthusiasm in my mind/

mccarthy would be a 3rd time retread, about as uninspired as it gets.

ben johnson is the top guy, we can throw mounds of money at him but the redskins have that shiny #2 pick and potentially the top QB depending on what chicago does. and then we have geno smith, hard to compete.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapport reported the Seahawks have requested interviews with Dan Quinn and Mike McDonald. I'm sure the Seahawks will do a wide search and this is just the beginning.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quinn is the status quo pick, underwhelming and creates not much enthusiasm in my mind/

mccarthy would be a 3rd time retread, about as uninspired as it gets.

ben johnson is the top guy, we can throw mounds of money at him but the redskins have that shiny #2 pick and potentially the top QB depending on what chicago does. and then we have geno smith, hard to compete.
We all would love Ben Johnson but think we all know that is a long shot at best.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brock Huard likes the idea of Lincoln Riley as HC of Seahawks. I think it's hard for a college HC to succeed in the NFL because of the differences, but this early on worth taking a look at least. He could help develop a rookie QB and like Pete would have insight on a slew of players that could be useful to JS.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brock Huard likes the idea of Lincoln Riley as HC of Seahawks. I think it's hard for a college HC to succeed in the NFL because of the differences, but this early on worth taking a look at least. He could help develop a rookie QB and like Pete would have insight on a slew of players that could be useful to JS.

It's a big swing that could be amazing but could also blow up. I'm ok with taking that chance. Assuming that Riley is even interested.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big swing that could be amazing but could also blow up. I'm ok with taking that chance. Assuming that Riley is even interested.
I think the issue would be he would want to be able to pick the groceries and I think JS wants to do that this go around. Likely Ben Johnson also would want to at least help pick the groceries so.....

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue would be he would want to be able to pick the groceries and I think JS wants to do that this go around.

I think JS is uniquely capable of selling a possible coach that he would work hand in hand with the coach.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a promotion at work so I've been just slammed since the announcement of Carroll being relieved of the Seahawks HC responsibilities so I haven't been around much this week...

With that said, I really like the idea of Mike MacDonald to become our new HC... I love what he's been able to do with the Ravens defense the past few years... He's young and innovative, which is something that intrigues me...

After thinking about it, Dan Quinn doesn't excite me too much when there is an opportunity to grab someone like, MM... You wonder if the Hawks moved this quickly to see if they had a shot at Harbaugh...

I wonder if Pete will put his hat into the Chargers coaching vacancy ring...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty tight-lipped coaching search so far. I've seen the crawler on NFLN showing interview names for other teams and interest in Harbaugh by both Chargers and Raiders but nothing at all mentioned about the Hawks. The longer things stay relatively quiet, the more clear it is to me that we are focused on someone who is still coaching in the playoffs. If the main effort was to bring someone up from the college ranks, I would think there would have at least been an interview and maybe even a hire by this point.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Pete will put his hat into the Chargers coaching vacancy ring...
I am trying to speak this into existence: Pete to UW! I know you're on the other side of the state and more of a Coug supporter, but this makes a lot of sense to me from a few different aspects. Pete isn't looking for a stepping stone type gig if he were to coach again, so there would be no danger in him getting scooped up like DeBoer. The Huskies are in a great deal of disarray and turmoil right now with a brand new AD, moving to a new conference, losing the nucleus of their CFP team, watching players defect through the portal, recruits de-committing, etc. Pete would be a great leader to transition that program through the first few years in the Big10 and then have it ready for a warm hand-off to the next longer term coach. Nothing I've heard from Pete since being graciously fired tells me he is done coaching, and I think UW would be one of the very few situations that would make sense for him to take 1 more job. He wouldn't even have to move! (And as someone who did it 12 times while in the military, I can certify that this is appealing.) It probably won't happen, but I think it would be cool to see. The college game has changed a bit since he's been in the NFL with transfer portal and NIL, but there are plenty of smart staffers out there who could help him navigate that.

Congrats on the promo!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty tight-lipped coaching search so far. I've seen the crawler on NFLN showing interview names for other teams and interest in Harbaugh by both Chargers and Raiders but nothing at all mentioned about the Hawks. The longer things stay relatively quiet, the more clear it is to me that we are focused on someone who is still coaching in the playoffs. If the main effort was to bring someone up from the college ranks, I would think there would have at least been an interview and maybe even a hire by this point.

Shefter reported that the Seahawks have requested interviews with Dan Quinn and Mike MacDonald.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shefter reported that the Seahawks have requested interviews with Dan Quinn and Mike MacDonald.
So I take this report and have to assume there is no interest in Vrabel.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I take this report and have to assume there is no interest in Vrabel.

I haven't heard any team looking at Vrabel yet. OTOH, they don't need to make a request to see him. So it is possible they did a Zoom chat already to gauge the interest on both sides.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im warming up to the idea of mike macdonald, i didnt know he spent a year with jim harbaugh sprucing up the michigan defense before going to be DC in baltimore.

if we are going with a defensive coach, it should be him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trying to speak this into existence: Pete to UW! I know you're on the other side of the state and more of a Coug supporter, but this makes a lot of sense to me from a few different aspects. Pete isn't looking for a stepping stone type gig if he were to coach again, so there would be no danger in him getting scooped up like DeBoer. The Huskies are in a great deal of disarray and turmoil right now with a brand new AD, moving to a new conference, losing the nucleus of their CFP team, watching players defect through the portal, recruits de-committing, etc. Pete would be a great leader to transition that program through the first few years in the Big10 and then have it ready for a warm hand-off to the next longer term coach. Nothing I've heard from Pete since being graciously fired tells me he is done coaching, and I think UW would be one of the very few situations that would make sense for him to take 1 more job. He wouldn't even have to move! (And as someone who did it 12 times while in the military, I can certify that this is appealing.) It probably won't happen, but I think it would be cool to see. The college game has changed a bit since he's been in the NFL with transfer portal and NIL, but there are plenty of smart staffers out there who could help him navigate that.

Congrats on the promo!
Thank you... I could see that as well... Pete has been a huge part of the community in Seattle... I could see him in that position with the UW... Especially since they're heading into the Big 10... Pete loves a big challenge...

Reactions: JMR

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard any team looking at Vrabel yet. OTOH, they don't need to make a request to see him. So it is possible they did a Zoom chat already to gauge the interest on both sides.
Yeah, since he's not on a team, he's free to discuss with whomever he chooses w/out getting any permission...