• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2022 draft- news, prospects

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries are out pacing the cap now, something will need to be done. The cap dropped a ton and salaries continued to climb, everything is out of wack and can not be sustained under the current cap or even if it's raised 10M the following year. Salaries have jumped like I swear 20% in the past year and a half after the cap was lowered and is now only back to pre 2020? cap days?. Average players getting super star Salaries is common place now.
Kinda true.

Salaries are exploding for the top players but since the cap is always a set value it must mean the mid tier players are losing a percentage. The low tier players mostly have set salaries via minimum salary or their draft pick slot so their effect is probably minor.

Some of the cap can be circumvented via contract structures, or cap room moved to the next year. That allows for some big deals that might not otherwise get done.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw Derrick Carr gets a $40 million per year extension (3 years).

So if a not great but above average QB gets +20% of the cap going forward and the top are getting 25-30%, at some point does the QB market collapse on itself and salaries start stagnating?
Similar could be said for WRs this offseason.

@Screamin12th is correct in that this seems unsustainable. The NFL keeps predicting growth but if they hit a bump then things could get ugly.

Maybe they are counting on international growth? That seems to have worked on some levels for the NBA and MLB. But NFL football is a strange beast in that there aren't really any other games like it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam was used as a extra pass rusher for the Jets. It worked as long as teams offense weren't prepared for that, but once they planned for him to pass rush the defense was screwed as it leaves a big gap in the pass defense. So teams would be prepared one of several ways:
1) Having a TE or RB assigned to block him, thus being able to exploit the big hole in the secondary
2) Having a receiver ready for a quick pass and a route designed to have him open quickly, then hoping for YAC.

It's actually a unsound approach to use a safety to pass rush as it leaves the defense short handed in pass defense and only works if the safety can sack the QB. Seahawks tried compensating by dropping a DL into pass defense but that doesn't work to well either.

Adams should bulk up and get moved to outside LB, I think he’d thrive there in a 3-4 defense.. He’s 6.1 214, has ridiculous speed, just bull up to like 230, just a thought…

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his legal issues I’m a little surprised.

Yah apparently it's worth up to $7M for 1 year (so that's obviously incentives). Maybe his deal includes an Uber clause stipulation :D

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker Mayfield mentioned Seattle in an interview, I can’t imagine if the Browns cut him we won’t at least kick the tires on that… I’m kinda surprised we resigned Geno, he’s not that great even as a backup ..

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker Mayfield mentioned Seattle in an interview, I can’t imagine if the Browns cut him we won’t at least kick the tires on that… I’m kinda surprised we resigned Geno, he’s not that great even as a backup ..

Well Mayfield sure as F thinks that... he's been publicly spouting it the last couple days.

That said, it doesn't necessarily mean Seattle thinks that... and at this point why the hell would you trade for Mayfield? He's at this point likely a 6/1 release, so just wait until then?

Regardless, with the resigning of Smith I have to assume Mayfield is out. And that is FINE with me. And if Seattle is targeting a QB in the 2nd/3rd (or late 1st) then that negates this even further.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Mayfield sure as F thinks that... he's been publicly spouting it the last couple days.

That said, it doesn't necessarily mean Seattle thinks that... and at this point why the hell would you trade for Mayfield? He's at this point likely a 6/1 release, so just wait until then?

Regardless, with the resigning of Smith I have to assume Mayfield is out. And that is FINE with me. And if Seattle is targeting a QB in the 2nd/3rd (or late 1st) then that negates this even further.
Definitely not trade for him, only if the Browns release him, which they might be forced to do…

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want anything to do with Baker... Watch Russ Cook! Watch Mayfield Bake!?I couldn't stomach it... Seriously though, say no to Baker We already have one of him on our roster...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want anything to do with Baker... Watch Russ Cook! Watch Mayfield Bake!?I couldn't stomach it... Seriously though, say no to Baker We already have one of him on our roster...

:pound:

I can't imagine that'll happen given Smith was resigned. Smith/Lock look like they'll compete for the start unless they draft someone. Eason is your 3rd string/PS guy.

As for that, please let Lock start. We already know what we have in Geno Smith. Lock looks to be nothing but a backup but he's still young enough that he might have a CHANCE!? Smith is not going to be anything but a bottom 5-10 starter and solid backup - he's been in the league and bounced around long enough, that's a given. Lock is a VERY low chance to be anything more, but there's a CHANCE. There's none with Smith. At least find out if Luck is worth anything on a new team with a new cast. He'll be 26 midway through the season. IF he comes on, you at least have a franchise QB for a while.

Even IF Geno Smith comes on with all his injuries and age, you're looking at a few years at best.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't help but agree with everything you're saying.

Again, #10 overall is MORE then Adams/Hill got. Do I think Metcalf deserves more? Yah.. sure, he's basically draft worthy given he's still 24. But #10 overall is EASILY a late 1st and late 1st (projected) next year, which is what #10 overall can fetch. Seattle gave up the same for Adams who at the time was the best safety in the league.. Metcalf despite his upside is NOT the best receiver in the league (not even top 5).

That all said, Carroll seems to have made it very clear he wants Seattle to compete and is not going to tear apart this team, which IMO involves trading Metcalf. What would I do?

Eh I'd ship Metcalf off to the highest suitor, fire Carroll, and start over... but I'm not an NFL head coach/GM either, so what do I know?
I think a lot of Metcalf's value derives from his age and the fact that given his natural abilities, there's an argument to be made that he hasn't reached his full potential yet. In terms of raw natural athleticism, one could make a strong comparison that D.K. Metcalf's first three years draw a lot of comparison to Calvin Johnson. Megatron didn't truly become an elite player until he was 26 and I wouldn't be surprised if we see something similar with Metcalf.

That all being said I think that Metcalf - despite not being on the level of Tyreek or Adams yet - should draw a bigger draft haul than those two.

If the Seahawks had a plan at QB, I'd say extend him, I just don't see that right now.

For all of the good that Carroll's optimism has given this team over the years, in this case I think it's detrimental and has him in denial about where the franchise is right now. Who knows, maybe they pull a rabbit out of the hat and find a new franchise QB, but I just find that extremely unlikely.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any point in trading for Baker Mayfield.

In 60 games Mayfield is 29-30 with a much, much better roster than the Seahawks currently have.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be ideal if Cross/Ekonwu/Neal are off the board if the Saints trade up to #9 and give up both 1st round picks to take a QB... and we can use those 1st picks on Linderbaum/Lloyd. Both should be great starters.

I do NOT want Sauce at #9.... if they take him at #9 he better be like All Pro Richard Sherman.... anything less is a bust IMO.
I'd rather them take Sauce at #9 than get cute and reach and select someone who could've been available 20 picks later like the Seahawks have frequently done.

That being said I think a LT is probably the best course of action at #9 depending on who is available. I'd be happy taking any of the top 4 tackles available there.

I'd also take any of the top 3 edge rushers at #9, but if there is a top-tier tackle available at #9 I'd rather go the tackle route and address an edge rusher in round two. There are a number of guys who could be available to us there. I'd be happy taking David Ojabo in the second round considering that he's a top-15 talent but that probably won't happen because he likely won't play in 2022, and given the lack of commitment to a rebuild, the Seahawks will probably be looking for guys who can contribute this year.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any point in trading for Baker Mayfield.

In 60 games Mayfield is 29-30 with a much, much better roster than the Seahawks currently have.

Part of that might have been his injury, prior to that he was doing pretty good … If the Browns cut him they have to eat the salary, we could literally get him for nothing money wise … Could be worth a kick IF the Browns cut him … I think we overpaid a for Geno, he’s not that good …

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather them take Sauce at #9 than get cute and reach and select someone who could've been available 20 picks later like the Seahawks have frequently done.

That being said I think a LT is probably the best course of action at #9 depending on who is available. I'd be happy taking any of the top 4 tackles available there.

I'd also take any of the top 3 edge rushers at #9, but if there is a top-tier tackle available at #9 I'd rather go the tackle route and address an edge rusher in round two. There are a number of guys who could be available to us there. I'd be happy taking David Ojabo in the second round considering that he's a top-15 talent but that probably won't happen because he likely won't play in 2022, and given the lack of commitment to a rebuild, the Seahawks will probably be looking for guys who can contribute this year.

Oh agreed.. I mean if NOBODY is there and NOBODY is willing to trade, then fine. Take the BPA... But with 3 OTs, 3-4 decent EDGE... I'm sure SOMEONE will be there.

If Sauce is at #9 almost guarantee someone may trade up and give up a ton to get him. Do that IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of that might have been his injury, prior to that he was doing pretty good … If the Browns cut him they have to eat the salary, we could literally get him for nothing money wise … Could be worth a kick IF the Browns cut him … I think we overpaid a for Geno, he’s not that good …
I guess I should give a bit of context on that comment.

Personally I think the Seahawks should tank this year so they have the draft capital in 2023 to draft a franchise QB. I don't think that there are any moves that could realistically be made that make this team a playoff contender in 2022.

If he's cut, sure take a flier on him and see what you've got perhaps but I don't see him as a franchise QB. He hasn't elevated himself from just a league average QB despite having an excellent offensive line, run game and receiving options to throw to. I just don't see that he's going to take that next step in an offense that doesn't have the supporting cast he had in Cleveland.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh agreed.. I mean if NOBODY is there and NOBODY is willing to trade, then fine. Take the BPA... But with 3 OTs, 3-4 decent EDGE... I'm sure SOMEONE will be there.

If Sauce is at #9 almost guarantee someone may trade up and give up a ton to get him. Do that IMO.
Well I agree and disagree.

I definitely believe that there will be a top-10, if not top-5 talent available to us at OT/edge at #9 and that's the route they should take.

If Sauce is on the board at #9, it depends on the trade offer they receive. If they trade down too far, they could put themselves in a position where they can draft a reliable starter with their first selection, but not that upper echelon of talent.

As I've said before, I don't think this is the year to trade down and collect a dozen draft picks. They really have to hit on their first selection and if that happens to be a corner - unlikely given Carroll's draft history - I'd rather go that route than be in a position where our next pick is towards the middle/end of the first round.

I'm sure I'll be infuriated with whatever they do though.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I agree and disagree.

I definitely believe that there will be a top-10, if not top-5 talent available to us at OT/edge at #9 and that's the route they should take.

If Sauce is on the board at #9, it depends on the trade offer they receive. If they trade down too far, they could put themselves in a position where they can draft a reliable starter with their first selection, but not that upper echelon of talent.

As I've said before, I don't think this is the year to trade down and collect a dozen draft picks. They really have to hit on their first selection and if that happens to be a corner - unlikely given Carroll's draft history - I'd rather go that route than be in a position where our next pick is towards the middle/end of the first round.

I'm sure I'll be infuriated with whatever they do though.

I just don’t want to see them take a QB … We have so many other holes to fill.. I have no interest in seeing a young QB get decimated behind our line all year … I’m hoping we just roll with Lock, see if he can make things happen, if our season sucks so be it, more top picks next year… I’m scared Pete is gonna think win now, which isn’t gonna happen with this roster right now …