• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2022 draft- news, prospects

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer we stand pat at the OL leading up to draft day the more it feels like OT is the main target. In that case let a hope Sauce gets grabbed 7 or 8 and a team gets desperate for a QB or 2 early and we luck into one of the top 2. Doubtful, but that seems like the ideal situation.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer we stand pat at the OL leading up to draft day the more it feels like OT is the main target. In that case let a hope Sauce gets grabbed 7 or 8 and a team gets desperate for a QB or 2 early and we luck into one of the top 2. Doubtful, but that seems like the ideal situation.
OL is a need for sure, but becoming less sure we should draft a OT with the 9th pick. Most of the OT in the draft seem better suited to play RT, big, strong, fast, great run blockers, but raw pass blockers. The exception being Cross who is actually a good pass blocker but mediocre run blocker, problem with him he's a bit under sized and not really explosive or quick and fast, just good technique at mirroring a pass rusher and likely not strong enough to hold up to bull rushers or speed pass rushers in the NFL. A pass rusher would be great but think we see a run ahead of the Seahawks pick on pass rushers so will there still be one worth taking with the 9th pick? Maybe. 2 shutdown corners in the draft and likely one will still be there with the 9th pick, but a corner with the 9th isn't that appealing to me. So dang I'm not sure what to root for with the 9th pick.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t want to see them take a QB … We have so many other holes to fill.. I have no interest in seeing a young QB get decimated behind our line all year … I’m hoping we just roll with Lock, see if he can make things happen, if our season sucks so be it, more top picks next year… I’m scared Pete is gonna think win now, which isn’t gonna happen with this roster right now …
I agree that we shouldn't take a QB this year. Really the only guy in this class whose ceiling is above a game manager is Malik Willis and he's too much of a boom or bust prospect to justify taking in the first round. Most years he's a second round lotto pick essentially.

So assuming the Seahawks select a non-QB at #9 I don't see a point in taking a flier on QB in the second round when I don't see any of the guys (other than Willis) with a ceiling above game manager.

In the second round I'd rather take two guys who could be potential long-term starters at positions of need as opposed to selecting a QB who at worst is no better than Lock and at best a league average QB.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL is a need for sure, but becoming less sure we should draft a OT with the 9th pick. Most of the OT in the draft seem better suited to play RT, big, strong, fast, great run blockers, but raw pass blockers. The exception being Cross who is actually a good pass blocker but mediocre run blocker, problem with him he's a bit under sized and not really explosive or quick and fast, just good technique at mirroring a pass rusher and likely not strong enough to hold up to bull rushers or speed pass rushers in the NFL. A pass rusher would be great but think we see a run ahead of the Seahawks pick on pass rushers so will there still be one worth taking with the 9th pick? Maybe. 2 shutdown corners in the draft and likely one will still be there with the 9th pick, but a corner with the 9th isn't that appealing to me. So dang I'm not sure what to root for with the 9th pick.
I agree but I hold Cross in a bit higher regard than you do it appears. I think he'll be a top-tier pass protector and the run game will be a work in progress, but I'd rather have a LT who can pass block and can't run block as opposed to a LT who can run block but can't pass block. I actually think Cross would make a lot of sense given the fact that we have Will Dissly on the roster. Just line him up next to Cross to help run block.

Honestly if Evan Neal is still on the board I'd still take him. Best case scenario is that he's able to utilize his raw athletic ability and become a franchise LT, worst case scenario he'll be an elite RT IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh agreed.. I mean if NOBODY is there and NOBODY is willing to trade, then fine. Take the BPA... But with 3 OTs, 3-4 decent EDGE... I'm sure SOMEONE will be there.

If Sauce is at #9 almost guarantee someone may trade up and give up a ton to get him. Do that IMO.
I'd trade down depending on the offer.

Given that there are 10-15 blue chip prospects in this draft, I wouldn't want to trade down to the 20s unless it includes a 2023 first round pick as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I hold Cross in a bit higher regard than you do it appears. I think he'll be a top-tier pass protector and the run game will be a work in progress, but I'd rather have a LT who can pass block and can't run block as opposed to a LT who can run block but can't pass block. I actually think Cross would make a lot of sense given the fact that we have Will Dissly on the roster. Just line him up next to Cross to help run block.

Honestly if Evan Neal is still on the board I'd still take him. Best case scenario is that he's able to utilize his raw athletic ability and become a franchise LT, worst case scenario he'll be an elite RT IMO.
If Neal is still available the Seahawks likely draft him, but he's a future RT.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not a fan of Neal but I agree Seattle would take him. He's getting the Alabama hype IMO and at 350 lbs... I have to imagine injury or weight in general will be a concern. If he's taken #9 he's going to get around $22-24M fully guaranteed... PLENTY to live a VERY comfortable life on and Seattle doesn't even have a state income tax.

So he may just get fat/happy and mail it in. If NOT, he does project better as a right tackle and he is a massive run blocker (which Seattle's current staff likes, hence their pursuit of Trenton Brown). I mean Neal seems almost like a clone of Trenton Brown. Is that worth the #9 overall pick? Ehh..... I'd rather have Cross/Ekonwu or Thibs but I guess if you can get a good road grader right tackle who MAY be able to switch to LT if he loses some weight would work. I wouldn't be upset with the pick but I would be disappointed if either Cross, Ekonwu or Thibs are there and we took Neal instead.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could also use a good corner back, especially after losing Reed … LB also ..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not a fan of Neal but I agree Seattle would take him. He's getting the Alabama hype IMO and at 350 lbs... I have to imagine injury or weight in general will be a concern. If he's taken #9 he's going to get around $22-24M fully guaranteed... PLENTY to live a VERY comfortable life on and Seattle doesn't even have a state income tax.

So he may just get fat/happy and mail it in. If NOT, he does project better as a right tackle and he is a massive run blocker (which Seattle's current staff likes, hence their pursuit of Trenton Brown). I mean Neal seems almost like a clone of Trenton Brown. Is that worth the #9 overall pick? Ehh..... I'd rather have Cross/Ekonwu or Thibs but I guess if you can get a good road grader right tackle who MAY be able to switch to LT if he loses some weight would work. I wouldn't be upset with the pick but I would be disappointed if either Cross, Ekonwu or Thibs are there and we took Neal instead.
I disagree that Neal would just be a future RT.

I think people see 6'7 350lbs and just immediately assume that he doesn't have the athleticism to play LT, but the guy is a freak. He moves as if he was 50lbs lighter and still has all of the power you'd expect from a guy of that size. He has the frame to carry that weight and I don't believe he missed a game with Alabama. My biggest concern about him really is he overextends a little bit too much in pass protection and that elite edge rushers could use his height against him.

I disagree with the Trent Brown comparison. I can see where you're coming from, but Neal is roughly 30lbs lighter, way more athletic, and has a lot more good weight than bad. Per Bruce Feldman, "Neal's body fat percentage was 22%, on par with what most offensive linemen who are some 40 pounds smaller usually measure at the NFL combine." So I don't think the weight is a problem as long as he stays at his current weight.

I would also probably take Cross or Ekwonu over Neal, but I think it's pretty close. Based on the mocks I've looked at, it seems that Ekwonu might be the first tackle off the board, but I'd be happy with any of the three of them.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that Neal would just be a future RT.

I think people see 6'7 350lbs and just immediately assume that he doesn't have the athleticism to play LT, but the guy is a freak. He moves as if he was 50lbs lighter and still has all of the power you'd expect from a guy of that size. He has the frame to carry that weight and I don't believe he missed a game with Alabama. My biggest concern about him really is he overextends a little bit too much in pass protection and that elite edge rushers could use his height against him.

I disagree with the Trent Brown comparison. I can see where you're coming from, but Neal is roughly 30lbs lighter, way more athletic, and has a lot more good weight than bad. Per Bruce Feldman, "Neal's body fat percentage was 22%, on par with what most offensive linemen who are some 40 pounds smaller usually measure at the NFL combine." So I don't think the weight is a problem as long as he stays at his current weight.

I would also probably take Cross or Ekwonu over Neal, but I think it's pretty close. Based on the mocks I've looked at, it seems that Ekwonu might be the first tackle off the board, but I'd be happy with any of the three of them.

Good write up seahawks.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay said we are doing Due diligence on Jordan Davis but we like Stingley Jr. as well

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind davis at 9, would certainly fill a huge hole on our DL.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay said we are doing Due diligence on Jordan Davis but we like Stingley Jr. as well

I would have to imagine Jordan Davis would be an Al Woods replacement if Seattle goes to a 3-4 and Woods would be for pure depth at that point. Davis can be an every down 3-4 NT. I mean the prospect of Harris/Jefferson/Ford and Davis is a pretty insane front line. Still need to find another EDGE and ILB though....

I mean Woods, Ford, Harris, Jefferson can already put together a decent front 3 in a 3-4.... so you bring in Davis and it's kind of WTF? Why do we need ANOTHER DT? EDGE/Linebacker and OT sure as hell are a need and something decent should be available at #9.

I really hate the prospect of a CB... take an EDGE or OL. That said, it's a passing league and at least a corner does help with that.

I agree with Tim Walker's point in that article. A nose tackle/run stuffer at #9 overall when DT is probably the biggest strength at this point in Seattle on defense when EDGE and OT talent should be available? BLEH, but it is VEEEERY much something Seattle would do. But Seattle needs something to stop the pass... whether edge rushing, a corner (even though I don't like it), or even an ILB (trade down) that can cover because Jordyn Brooks sure as F can't and Bobby was losing his speed.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter King has the Seahawks moving down to 13 and having Thibodeaux dropping into their lap in his final mock. Seems unlikely but I'd like that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter King has the Seahawks moving down to 13 and having Thibodeaux dropping into their lap in his final mock. Seems unlikely but I'd like that.

Saw that as well... some people are now saying he's going to slip. Beacher Report and PFF had some articles to say on it.

I agree that seems unlikely. Could just be media buzz.

youtube.com/watch?v=ikJapHGnBVo&ab_channel=ProFootballFocus
bleacherreport.com/articles/10033893-nfl-coach-after-meeting-kayvon-thibodeaux-s--t-this-guy-is-a-handful

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stingley is someone that could elevate our secondary… I’d be happy if we got him