• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2022 draft- news, prospects

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority but I'd be willing to trade Metcalf. We have three possible outcomes with Metcalf.

Outcome 1: You trade him and get multiple first round picks along with some picks in later rounds.
Outcome 2: You don't trade him, and give him a massive extension that will eat up an absurd amount of cap space for a WR.
Outcome 3: You don't trade him, and he prices himself out of what we can realistically pay and he tests the free agency market and we get nothing.

Lets not forget that Metcalf plays in an offense that wants to run the ball and doesn't have a halfway decent QB to get him the ball. Trade him to the Jets for our first round pick back (#10), a 2023 first round pick (likely to also be in the top-10) and a 2023 second round pick.
I'm all for trading him as well...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget that Metcalf plays in an offense that wants to run the ball and doesn't have a halfway decent QB to get him the ball. Trade him to the Jets for our first round pick back (#10), a 2023 first round pick (likely to also be in the top-10) and a 2023 second round pick.

Its an offense that runs the ball and throws deep, metcalf is the ideal WR for this offense

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its an offense that runs the ball and throws deep, metcalf is the ideal WR for this offense

That offense has not worked well at all the last couple years..... and it relied on a QB taking a ridiculous amount of time to unload the ball deep while the OL collapsed because said QB abandoned the pocket 24/7 and isolated 50% of the field. That QB was also a very good deep ball thrower.

So pick one... go complete passing oriented which Seattle's staff does not seem to want to do, or go completely run oriented in which case Metcalf is ehhhh? Not to mention unless Seattle hits home with a QB in the next year (2023 draft included) what's the point?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That offense has not worked well at all the last couple years..... and it relied on a QB taking a ridiculous amount of time to unload the ball deep while the OL collapsed because said QB abandoned the pocket 24/7 and isolated 50% of the field. That QB was also a very good deep ball thrower.

So pick one... go complete passing oriented which Seattle's staff does not seem to want to do, or go completely run oriented in which case Metcalf is ehhhh? Not to mention unless Seattle hits home with a QB in the next year (2023 draft included) what's the point?

We haven't had much of a running game the past few years

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't had much of a running game the past few years

Right, so I guess why the fuck are we keeping Carroll around and trading Wilson, only to retain a deep ball threat wide receiver?

It's just kind of weird.

From what I know:

Carroll wants a run first game/stout defense with safe passes = DK Metcalf really hasn't proven himself in that.
Wilson wants a pass first game/fuck everything else = DK Metcalf works in that.
Seatlte's FO and coaching staff wants to keep DK Metcalf after trading Wilson and going with Carroll's philosophy = What?

I dunno, just all sounds weird at the moment. Now don't get me wrong, Metcalf may very well be on board with ditching Wilson who was just looking to pass to the sidelines 24/7 and multiple times during last year (and even the season before) ignored Metcalf when he was WIDE open going over the middle of the field... so... there's that.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll wants a run first game/stout defense with safe passes = DK Metcalf really hasn't proven himself in that.
Wilson wants a pass first game/fuck everything else = DK Metcalf works in that.
Seatlte's FO and coaching staff wants to keep DK Metcalf after trading Wilson and going with Carroll's philosophy = What?
its about playing it safe and not turning the ball over, yes. but its also about play action deep passing game which requires being able to run the ball effectively. metcalf is perfect for that so long as he keeps his speed.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll still have a ton of value after this season and fetch something similar with his age, assuming Seattle wants to trade him.
They can't wait for next year. Metcalf is in the last year of his contract now. He is an UDFA next offseason.

Either he gets an estimated $25 million a year extension before mid next season at the very latest, he is traded before the deadline, or he gets franchised tagged.
I guess a 4th option would be major injury and they let him walk but that would be worst case scenerio.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah well you mentioned it... the franchise tag... and given the state of Seattle's team there's zero fuckin' other players to use it on... so worst case scenario we get a pretty (relatively, I mean the money that Adams/Hill got is insane, but Metcalf is going to get that money anyway) cheap DK Metcalf for two more seasons. And FT + trade is of course an option and very attractive to trade partners.

There's really zero reason to trade him now unless the offer is ridiculous... and given Seattle is trying to be competitive but probably wont be this season in terms of playoffs... you might as well keep him. Either Drew Lock turns into the second coming or we draft a QB and hope it works out. I still like Cross in the 1st, Corral and best EDGE in the 2nd, and then a full push OL/CB and yes LINEBACKER (that was where our pass defense was letting up all the plays, even with Wagner) in the subsequent rounds.

We'll see... draft will be VERY telling what the strategy of Seattle is.... because we have very little else to do post draft with cap room...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be on board for that sort of value, but it doesn't sound like teams are offering that sort of value. It's been said that the Jets were going to offer the 2022 10th pick straight up for Metcalf and I'd hang up on them if that what they had in mind.
My biggest concern when it comes to Metcalf is that if we don't trade him now, we'll either get nothing for him if he walks or be forced to give him a contract that pays $25m a year. Perhaps the salary cap will be raised more than I anticipate, but I don't believe in paying a WR the same amount of money you'd pay to a LT or DE. $25m a year - which is likely what he'd command - would pay him more on an annual basis than every left tackle in football, and would pay him more than all but 2 edge rushers.

Would I love to see Metcalf play for the Seahawks his entire career? Definitely. But I just don't believe that it's an efficient allocation of cap space to give a WR that much money, especially in a run first offense without a legit QB.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be misunderstanding the point I'm trying to drive home here.

It's not an issue of if he is an ideal WR for this offense, it's that I don't think that WRs deserve an allocation of cap space on par with an elite LT or pass rusher. The only way you can even remotely justify paying a guy that much is if he's getting 150+ targets in a pass heavy offense and is in the conversation for the best WR in the NFL. Metcalf doesn't check either of those boxes.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah well you mentioned it... the franchise tag... and given the state of Seattle's team there's zero fuckin' other players to use it on... so worst case scenario we get a pretty (relatively, I mean the money that Adams/Hill got is insane, but Metcalf is going to get that money anyway) cheap DK Metcalf for two more seasons. And FT + trade is of course an option and very attractive to trade partners.

There's really zero reason to trade him now unless the offer is ridiculous... and given Seattle is trying to be competitive but probably wont be this season in terms of playoffs... you might as well keep him. Either Drew Lock turns into the second coming or we draft a QB and hope it works out. I still like Cross in the 1st, Corral and best EDGE in the 2nd, and then a full push OL/CB and yes LINEBACKER (that was where our pass defense was letting up all the plays, even with Wagner) in the subsequent rounds.

We'll see... draft will be VERY telling what the strategy of Seattle is.... because we have very little else to do post draft with cap room...
One of the reasons I think it would be a smart move to deal Metcalf now is that I don't think his trade value will be the same this time next year given that he has Drew Lock throwing him the football.

Irrespective of what the Seahawks do with Metcalf, this is the year the Seahawks really shouldn't trade down and they can't get cute with their selection at #9 or draft a QB at that spot in this draft. Thibodeuax, Cross, Neal, Gardner, Walker, Ekwonu and Stingley are all possibilities to fall to us at #9 and I think any of them would be a great pick. Hell, I'd even take Kyle Hamilton there even though we have Diggs and Adams under contract. Play Hamilton and Diggs in the two deep scheme and have Adams take a role in the box where he belongs.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be misunderstanding the point I'm trying to drive home here.

It's not an issue of if he is an ideal WR for this offense, it's that I don't think that WRs deserve an allocation of cap space on par with an elite LT or pass rusher. The only way you can even remotely justify paying a guy that much is if he's getting 150+ targets in a pass heavy offense and is in the conversation for the best WR in the NFL. Metcalf doesn't check either of those boxes.
Well that’s a good point, but who knows what the salaries for elite LT or pass rushers will be until the next one gets paid. The spiraling salaries for players will make you dizzy. Getting value for a player like Metcalf is crucial if a trade is being considered. It’s a tough spot, you don’t want to allocate to much cap space for a position, but you don’t be forced to accept a trade for less then you should get.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that’s a good point, but who knows what the salaries for elite LT or pass rushers will be until the next one gets paid. The spiraling salaries for players will make you dizzy. Getting value for a player like Metcalf is crucial if a trade is being considered. It’s a tough spot, you don’t want to allocate to much cap space for a position, but you don’t be forced to accept a trade for less then you should get.
That's what I was thinking as well regarding the salaries for tackles and pass rushers. You could be right there. The only justification for these massive contracts given out to WRs must be that front offices believe cap space will increase substantially in the coming years which will offset the sticker shock we see today.

All I know is the worst possible outcome would be him walking via free agency.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on not paying a WR $30m per

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons I think it would be a smart move to deal Metcalf now is that I don't think his trade value will be the same this time next year given that he has Drew Lock throwing him the football.

Irrespective of what the Seahawks do with Metcalf, this is the year the Seahawks really shouldn't trade down and they can't get cute with their selection at #9 or draft a QB at that spot in this draft. Thibodeuax, Cross, Neal, Gardner, Walker, Ekwonu and Stingley are all possibilities to fall to us at #9 and I think any of them would be a great pick. Hell, I'd even take Kyle Hamilton there even though we have Diggs and Adams under contract. Play Hamilton and Diggs in the two deep scheme and have Adams take a role in the box where he belongs.

Can't help but agree with everything you're saying.

Again, #10 overall is MORE then Adams/Hill got. Do I think Metcalf deserves more? Yah.. sure, he's basically draft worthy given he's still 24. But #10 overall is EASILY a late 1st and late 1st (projected) next year, which is what #10 overall can fetch. Seattle gave up the same for Adams who at the time was the best safety in the league.. Metcalf despite his upside is NOT the best receiver in the league (not even top 5).

That all said, Carroll seems to have made it very clear he wants Seattle to compete and is not going to tear apart this team, which IMO involves trading Metcalf. What would I do?

Eh I'd ship Metcalf off to the highest suitor, fire Carroll, and start over... but I'm not an NFL head coach/GM either, so what do I know?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't help but agree with everything you're saying.

Again, #10 overall is MORE then Adams/Hill got. Do I think Metcalf deserves more? Yah.. sure, he's basically draft worthy given he's still 24. But #10 overall is EASILY a late 1st and late 1st (projected) next year, which is what #10 overall can fetch. Seattle gave up the same for Adams who at the time was the best safety in the league.. Metcalf despite his upside is NOT the best receiver in the league (not even top 5).

That all said, Carroll seems to have made it very clear he wants Seattle to compete and is not going to tear apart this team, which IMO involves trading Metcalf. What would I do?

Eh I'd ship Metcalf off to the highest suitor, fire Carroll, and start over... but I'm not an NFL head coach/GM either, so what do I know?
I don’t find the 10 th pick that attractive. What will it get you? The player it brings you isn’t likely to be a game changer. I’d rather have the Jets first for 2023 and gamble it will be a earlier pick the the 10th and give the Seahawks a shot at a QB that MIGHT be a franchise QB and ask for a couple of 2022 2nd round picks to go with it. If the Seahawks are looking to trade Metcalf.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries are out pacing the cap now, something will need to be done. The cap dropped a ton and salaries continued to climb, everything is out of wack and can not be sustained under the current cap or even if it's raised 10M the following year. Salaries have jumped like I swear 20% in the past year and a half after the cap was lowered and is now only back to pre 2020? cap days?. Average players getting super star Salaries is common place now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1649856567083.png

Draft capital rank by team

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 293842

Draft capital rank by team

Would be ideal if Cross/Ekonwu/Neal are off the board if the Saints trade up to #9 and give up both 1st round picks to take a QB... and we can use those 1st picks on Linderbaum/Lloyd. Both should be great starters.

I do NOT want Sauce at #9.... if they take him at #9 he better be like All Pro Richard Sherman.... anything less is a bust IMO.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually according to the trade value chart that'd be a fleece of the Saints but maybe they're desperate? lol. If they did offer that we should absolutely take it, but I guess that's not realistic.