• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schotty fired

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pretty long article but I'll post some snippets..

To me this is the real point. Pete decided that it was time to protect the football and we went conservative.

He goes on to basically say what I think many of us are saying, although not all.

For me, it isn't about passing more. It's about being more aggressive with our passing games. I know a lot of people think deep balls are a sign of aggression but I disagree. Deep balls have 4 possible outcomes. A catch for a big play, a PI for a big play, an incompletion, or an interception. 2 positive outcomes, one neutral outcome, and one negative outcome that is not much different than a punt. And when you throw to someone like DK Metcalf, the interception option becomes even less likely because of his sheer size.

Aggressive passing is when you are willing to get your QB moving and throw the ball 15-20 yards downfield. It's throwing zone buster passes that require accuracy. We simply don't do that except on broken plays.

Yah. I think in the Rams game we had just THREE passes between 10-19 yards. That's insane. And so many plays I see Wilson constantly playaction or drop looking for a DEEP or LONG drag route DEEP pass. It's like we have short passes and DEEP passes. The middle of the field/10-15 yard passes are non-existent.

And per my comment above and the articles, early on teams get caught off guard because Seattle was typically always a run oriented teams. But once they caught on and started dropping 2 deep safeties every down (like the Rams) Schotty just failed to adjust anything. Even though we started running more, the pass attack remained virtually the same. No change to the types of passes we were running.

I'd also like to see more hurry up and put Wilson in control a bit more. We've always done great with the hurry up and while you can't do it non-stop, it's a great way to setup a deep pass and keep defenses on their toes. Our offense is SO sluggish sometimes. Like we CONSTANTLY take the play clock to 1/0...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah. I think in the Rams game we had just THREE passes between 10-19 yards. That's insane. And so many plays I see Wilson constantly playaction or drop looking for a DEEP or LONG drag route DEEP pass. It's like we have short passes and DEEP passes. The middle of the field/10-15 yard passes are non-existent.

And per my comment above and the articles, early on teams get caught off guard because Seattle was typically always a run oriented teams. But once they caught on and started dropping 2 deep safeties every down (like the Rams) Schotty just failed to adjust anything. Even though we started running more, the pass attack remained virtually the same. No change to the types of passes we were running.

I'd also like to see more hurry up and put Wilson in control a bit more. We've always done great with the hurry up and while you can't do it non-stop, it's a great way to setup a deep pass and keep defenses on their toes. Our offense is SO sluggish sometimes. Like we CONSTANTLY take the play clock to 1/0...

We don't throw those passes because they are the highest risk passes.

I'm not defending Schotty because I do think he failed to adjust, but I also think we have to accept the possibility that Pete also constrained him in what he could do.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't throw those passes because they are the highest risk passes.

I'm not defending Schotty because I do think he failed to adjust, but I also think we have to accept the possibility that Pete also constrained him in what he could do.

10-15 yard passes are the highest risk passes? You generally need an accurate QB for those passes which I think we have.... and we saw our own D routinely exploited by players within that range exploiting zones because they had a far superior OC compared to our DC.

So instead we do playaction and Wilson sits there for 6 seconds hoping someone is open on a deep route and then when that doesn't happen he scrambles around and takes a sack. Hmmm.....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10-15 yard passes are the highest risk passes? You generally need an accurate QB for those passes which I think we have.... and we saw our own D routinely exploited by players within that range exploiting zones because they had a far superior OC compared to our DC.

So instead we do playaction and Wilson sits there for 6 seconds hoping someone is open on a deep route and then when that doesn't happen he scrambles around and takes a sack. Hmmm.....

I'm not agreeing with the approach. Just saying that Pete clearly doesn't like those passes. The only time we seem to throw them is when we are behind late.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not agreeing with the approach. Just saying that Pete clearly doesn't like those passes. The only time we seem to throw them is when we are behind late.

And they work brilliantly as Wilson has routinely stormed down the field (also utilizing the hurry up) like none other. :rolleyes2:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they work brilliantly as Wilson has routinely stormed down the field (also utilizing the hurry up) like none other. :rolleyes2:

Yeah I agree.

Which is why I am pretty discouraged about next season. I honestly don't think anything is going to change no matter who Pete brings in.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we've seen plenty of mid tier passes over the years, just not this year. A lot of times it's to a TE in the seam for 10 or 11, but that was definitely missing this year for some reason.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few options I'd consider:

Mike McDaniel: Running game Coord for the SF 49ers
Mike Kafka: Passing game coord/QB Coach for the Chiefs
John Embree: Asst HC and TE's coach for the SF 49ers
Adam Gase: FA... He wasn't a good HC but he was a very good OC...
Anthony Lynn: FA... He's a very good offensive minded HC...

Why not look at Eric Bieniemy? I mean lets be real here, the only reason he is not a HC yet is because people think KC offense is all Andy Reid and Eric is just a rider of that success. I think he is better than that and getting out from under Andy Reid would be the Best move to showcase his ability. That is if he doesn't get a HC job.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not look at Eric Bieniemy? I mean lets be real here, the only reason he is not a HC yet is because people think KC offense is all Andy Reid and Eric is just a rider of that success. I think he is better than that and getting out from under Andy Reid would be the Best move to showcase his ability. That is if he doesn't get a HC job.

Well if he does leave KC it will be because he got a HC gig. We can't just poach him for the same job and I doubt he would have any incentive to take it. Why leave a great situation with a HC that maximizes the talent on offense and go to a team with a HC that restricts the talent on offense?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if he does leave KC it will be because he got a HC gig. We can't just poach him for the same job and I doubt he would have any incentive to take it. Why leave a great situation with a HC that maximizes the talent on offense and go to a team with a HC that restricts the talent on offense?

The reason he could leave is what i stated. When people talk about KC they don't talk enough about Eric and it's all about Andy thats why. The stigma right now is People believe most of the success is because of Andy Reid not because of Eric and a shot to prove people wrong like on a loaded Seahawks offense could just make people say hey wait a minute! That offense he runs with the RPO's, roll outs and bootlegs just the fact they keep Mahomes in the game as a active piece other than just throwing is the best way to have Russ cook. Dont force him to either Hand off or go deep 90% of the time, mix it up.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason he could leave is what i stated. When people talk about KC they don't talk enough about Eric and it's all about Andy thats why. The stigma right now is People believe most of the success is because of Andy Reid not because of Eric and a shot to prove people wrong like on a loaded Seahawks offense could just make people say hey wait a minute! That offense he runs with the RPO's, roll outs and bootlegs just the fact they keep Mahomes in the game as a active piece other than just throwing is the best way to have Russ cook. Dont force him to either Hand off or go deep 90% of the time, mix it up.

If he were to leave KC to go prove himself, I can't picture any scenario where he would find Seattle a desirable location. Unless Pete were to have some sort of epiphany and say "You get to do whatever you want on offense" there will simply be too many handcuffs put on him.

Do you really envision a scenario where Pete buys into the KC offense?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he were to leave KC to go prove himself, I can't picture any scenario where he would find Seattle a desirable location. Unless Pete were to have some sort of epiphany and say "You get to do whatever you want on offense" there will simply be too many handcuffs put on him.

Do you really envision a scenario where Pete buys into the KC offense?

Eric is a RB at heart and Reid is the gunslinger HC, yes i could see where he would believe in an extremely talented coach that has proven he can adjust the game plan to keep the passing game out of facing 2 high safeties. This is about better quality running plays not more running. If you have success consistently running the ball teams wont go into the full zone umbrella coverage that has shut down our highly basic offense.

Just a thought, better option than Peterson but i do believe Peterson might be our new OC or the number one target. I also believe they might just promote Dave Canales to OC. If they did this then Wilson's hands would be all over this move. The little rumors i am hearing also is Wilson was onboard with the Firing of Schotty and checked off on it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric is a RB at heart and Reid is the gunslinger HC, yes i could see where he would believe in an extremely talented coach that has proven he can adjust the game plan to keep the passing game out of facing 2 high safeties. This is about better quality running plays not more running. If you have success consistently running the ball teams wont go into the full zone umbrella coverage that has shut down our highly basic offense.

Just a thought, better option than Peterson but i do believe Peterson might be our new OC or the number one target. I also believe they might just promote Dave Canales to OC. If they did this then Wilson's hands would be all over this move. The little rumors i am hearing also is Wilson was onboard with the Firing of Schotty and checked off on it.

I would love if we hired Bienemy. I just don't see it happening. Pete is not going to give up enough control to get a star OC to come to Seattle. At least IMO.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love if we hired Bienemy. I just don't see it happening. Pete is not going to give up enough control to get a star OC to come to Seattle. At least IMO.

i look at the control he gave Schotty, and i don't see it. Schotty had a lot of control, to much if you ask me for a not very talented OC like him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i look at the control he gave Schotty, and i don't see it. Schotty had a lot of control, to much if you ask me for a not very talented OC like him.

He had a lot of control until Russ had 2 bad games and then he had his wings clipped.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets steal mcdaniel from the 9ers, he is in charge of their run game they seem to do just fine running the ball with a bunch of scrubs.

Sounds like at least the dolphins are actively looking at him.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saleh hired by jets, also taking lafluer with him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t it kind of hard to blame him for not adjusting? The kind of passing game to bust the two high safeties is Russell biggest weakness because of his height.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a lot of control until Russ had 2 bad games and then he had his wings clipped.
Yeah. Lots of speculation out there on how much Pete is controlling the play calling.
We certainly saw a sudden shift in the gameplanning after Russ threw a few picks. The reversion to low risk offense was obvious and not successful.

I defended PC and his overall system in the Season thread but I won't defend him on this point. The offense was doing well until he forced a philosophical switch. I don't know why he couldn't see it wasn't working and adjust back towards a more "open" offense at some point.

I guess the question in my mind is this:
Did Pete believe that the offensive philosophy somehow negatively affect the defense's performance? Or was it just stubborness to revert back to what he was comfortable with, regardless of reason? Because I feel that early offense was more successful despite a few more turnovers. Also, was Russ' regression in the 2nd half predicated on the change in philosophy, or was it solely poor (by comparison) individual performance?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Lots of speculation out there on how much Pete is controlling the play calling.
We certainly saw a sudden shift in the gameplanning after Russ threw a few picks. The reversion to low risk offense was obvious and not successful.

I defended PC and his overall system in the Season thread but I won't defend him on this point. The offense was doing well until he forced a philosophical switch. I don't know why he couldn't see it wasn't working and adjust back towards a more "open" offense at some point.

I guess the question in my mind is this:
Did Pete believe that the offensive philosophy somehow negatively affect the defense's performance? Or was it just stubborness to revert back to what he was comfortable with, regardless of reason? Because I feel that early offense was more successful despite a few more turnovers. Also, was Russ' regression in the 2nd half predicated on the change in philosophy, or was it solely poor (by comparison) individual performance?

Obviously this is pure speculation but I feel that we were victims of weird timing.

IMO, the defense got dramatically better when we acquired Dunlap, Green came off IR, Adams came back from injury and Dunbar was sat down. But that improvement coincided almost exactly with the offense swallowing the football. So it could appear, if you wanted to believe it, that playing conservative offense improved the defense. I just don't think the evidence supports that.