• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Say goodbye to Mallett

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have any needs a trade of Mallett would fill.

Again, I am far happier with Mallett on the bench in case of an emerge envy than what we could get in return for him. Even next year I let him play out his contract in case of emergency over taking a mid-late second rounder for him.

You are correct

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think that they need a GREAT offer to part with him. They can control his rights for a reasonable price for 2 more years.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think that they need a GREAT offer to part with him. They can control his rights for a reasonable price for 2 more years.

But if they want to deal him it would have to happen before the draft. Next years QB class is suppose to be solid.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. And like I said elsewhere I offer him the chance to get paid slightly early with an extension now. Bump up the next two years slightly and see if he'll bite on a team friendly next couple. Even an extra year or two could be huge.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And like I said elsewhere I offer him the chance to get paid slightly early with an extension now. Bump up the next two years slightly and see if he'll bite on a team friendly next couple. Even an extra year or two could be huge.

I do not think he will sign an extension, why would he if he could go elsewhere and play?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still offer it.

It doesn't matter. Worst case is he plays out his contract and walks. I am happier with that than any other outcome but an extension, or a difference making player or decent first round draft pick in return.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Patriots probably have some idea on how good they think Mallett can be in the system. If they offered him an extension I am sure the value of that would be reflected in their opinion of him. If Mallett for some reason signed an extension for what is considered small money it may actually lower his value because it can be viewed as a reflection of how good the Patriots think he can be.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. It means that he is a backup to us, because we have Tom Brady, and we can not afford to pay him as a starter. I think it increases his value because there is longer until he gets an unrestricted payday.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. It means that he is a backup to us, because we have Tom Brady, and we can not afford to pay him as a starter. I think it increases his value because there is longer until he gets an unrestricted payday.

JDM,
So after the Brady "scare" - and with what you think of Tebow, I'm thinking you were probably glad we have Mallett backing up Brady?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always advocated turning down anything but a reasonable to high first for him. Backup QB is always an important spot.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought that the Pats should have traded Mallet the first chance. He has never impressed me and IMO he is somewhat of a Diva.

A good backup can be had. Hoyer may come available again

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer isn't very good. They can make an offense work around Mallett. Tebow, Hoyer, anyone else off the street? It would be tough.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions got lucky with Shawn Hill a very good backup and he is happy with that role.

I doubt Mallet would ever be happy with that role. But that may be his ceiling. I thought hoyer was a serviceable backup. Nothing more but could run the Patriots offense in a pinch. Hell that offense made Matt Cassells a wealthy man.

Every offseason a few veterans are replaced and they would work well as backups. very two or three years a UDFA can be groomed.

I just think Mallet is me first guy with a big arm and small brain. A poor mans Jeff George IMO

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Hoyer could be a mid-level starter in the NFL given the opportunity. He most likely will never have that opportunity, though - the kind of team that would take him and give him a real chance to compete for a starting role isn't the kind of team that has the other personnel to allow a mid-level starting caliber QB to thrive. It's not like he's talented enough to succeed without good people around him.

Mallett has one big thing driving up his value - everyone thought he was better than a 3rd round draft pick even if nobody wanted to pull the trigger before that. The name, "Ryan Mallett" has a level of cachet that the name "Brian Hoyer" does not.

However, if he doesn't show something this preseason, he'll have no trade value whatsoever.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett has one big thing driving up his value - everyone thought he was better than a 3rd round draft pick even if nobody wanted to pull the trigger before that. The name, "Ryan Mallett" has a level of cachet that the name "Brian Hoyer" does not.

:agree:

But the NFL is littered with Tim Couchs, Alkili Smiths, Rodney Peetes

The all cache flop team QBs.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't busted or underperformed expectations (because he hasn't hit the field, obviously). Their names were lost when they sucked, Mallett has just been behind a hall of famer. People are more likely to compare him to Rogers than anyone.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

But the NFL is littered with Tim Couchs, Alkili Smiths, Rodney Peetes

The all cache flop team QBs.

It's OK, Detroit isn't going to get Mallett anytime soon. I personally think he has great upside. You made your judgement, it's clear. You like Shawn Hill better? You're in luck, you've got him.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought that the Pats should have traded Mallet the first chance. He has never impressed me and IMO he is somewhat of a Diva.

A good backup can be had. Hoyer may come available again

Diva??

Explain

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diva??

Explain

He was a UofM QB and the stories out of A2 was he was constantly butting heads with Lloyd Carr and believed he had a higher standing on the team than he actually deserved. The Upper Classmen were constantly having to put him in his place.

I don't critisize any player that bolted when Rich Rod arrived in A2 as his run and duck philosophy was not suited for the guys Carr recruited but Mallet had decided to transfer before the change over because he wasn't getting the love he believed he deserved......

Thats was the word out of A2 and from guys connected to the situation.

He may have had a great epiphany and matured but I just see him as a less talented Jeff George.

The Pats have a very good offense and game plan and Im in the belief even without Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, and Lloyd the Pats will still be at a high level in no small part because of Brady and it might help to Pats more to have a solid veteran.