• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sark where art thou? Was he fired today?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showing up drunk to practice at 1:00pm is a pretty over the top level of a problem IMO.

I mean the only way I would know that to usually happen is if he had been out all night partying with some other substances.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't fire you for going to rehab but if he was drunk on the job that's usually an insta-fire. So if he's just going to rehab, they have to keep him.

I see people saying this, but I don't see how that can be true given the nature of the employment and offenses.

He's not being fired for going to rehab, he's being fired for being drunk on the job multiple times. Two totally different things. You can't go around fucking up and say - oh well I'm going to rehab, have to keep paying me!

USC has plenty of due cause to terminate the contract at this point. More than enough. But they are not in a hurry here because it's mid season and you aren't going to find a new coach of decent quality in the middle of a season. So they'll stand behind him until he's out and then he'll be getting the axe when coaching searches heat up.

Sark will be lucky to ever get another head coaching job in the FBS. Most likely he is going to be going back to being a coordinator for awhile. He's somewhat young, so in time he could come back. But he has his work cut out for him IMO.

Given USC's recent coaching searches, if I were a Utah Ute - I'd be a bit worried these days.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong showing up to practice looking like this?
waking-up-with-a-hangover.jpg

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting twist. Daelin Hayes is taking his official visit to Notre Dame this weekend, Oct 17.... yup, that's the Irish vs Trojans game!!! Talk about awkward timing for USC!
He was always going to take his OV there this weekend. Has nothing to do with the news. Although I like the timing.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see people saying this, but I don't see how that can be true given the nature of the employment and offenses.

He's not being fired for going to rehab, he's being fired for being drunk on the job multiple times. Two totally different things. You can't go around fucking up and say - oh well I'm going to rehab, have to keep paying me!

USC has plenty of due cause to terminate the contract at this point. More than enough. But they are not in a hurry here because it's mid season and you aren't going to find a new coach of decent quality in the middle of a season. So they'll stand behind him until he's out and then he'll be getting the axe when coaching searches heat up.

Sark will be lucky to ever get another head coaching job in the FBS. Most likely he is going to be going back to being a coordinator for awhile. He's somewhat young, so in time he could come back. But he has his work cut out for him IMO.

Given USC's recent coaching searches, if I were a Utah Ute - I'd be a bit worried these days.
Damn, for once I agree with you. Damn good comment.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if USC is legally obligated to keep Sark on if he is seeking treatment. :scratch:

Typically, that's the law as long as he told them he was an alcoholic. This shit could get complicated.

A good friend of mine is a substance abuse counselor with a Masters in Social Work. He says that alcoholism/addiction is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) so USC cannot simply fire him, especially if he's seeking treatment. My guess is that he will go through rehab, etc. and at some point in the off-season will resign from USC to "concentrate on his personal life" with some sort of hefty severance package.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good friend of mine is a substance abuse counselor with a Masters in Social Work. He says that alcoholism/addiction is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) so USC cannot simply fire him, especially if he's seeking treatment. My guess is that he will go through rehab, etc. and at some point in the off-season will resign from USC to "concentrate on his personal life" with some sort of hefty severance package.

If you show up at work, drunk or high....you can get fired.....period.

If before that happens, you go to your company and tell them you have a problem and need to go rehab...they cannot fire you for that.

Big difference. You can't show up all fucked up...get caught, and say "I have a problem, don't fire me."

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So he will have all kinds of money and no job. Sounds like a great situation for an alcoholic / addict.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you show up at work, drunk or high....you can get fired.....period.

If before that happens, you go to your company and tell them you have a problem and need to go rehab...they cannot fire you for that.

Big difference. You can't show up all fucked up...get caught, and say "I have a problem, don't fire me."

The problem for USC is that they didn't do that. Had they fired him immediately then the ADA protection wouldn't apply. However, when they agreed to allow him to keep working while seeking treatment, the ADA protection applies.

Part of the problem with what happened yesterday is that the details were pretty vague. No one is saying that he was drunk, they are saying that he "didn't seem right" or "didn't seem like himself" and he didn't show up to the 12:30 practice.

My understanding is that they could have tested him on the spot and if he was drunk, they could have fired him. But from what is being said, he was gone before that could happen.

Haden says that when Sark didn't show up for practice, Haden called him and it was obvious the he "wasn't healthy."

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's misleading.

The law is that you can't be fired for alcoholism IN AND OF ITSELF.

You CAN be fired for bad ON-THE-JOB behavior RESULTING from alcoholism, like showing up to work drunk.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's misleading.

The law is that you can't be fired for alcoholism IN AND OF ITSELF.

You CAN be fired for bad behavior RESULTING from alcoholism, like showing up to work drunk.

Addressed that in post #270.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah...I believe this is gonna "pan out" as you have just outlined.

The boosters may want him fired right now, but they don't have to worry... Sark isn't coming back to coach the team anyway.

USC isn't going to be vindicative against Sark... He has a serious problem and they'll work with him to get him the help he needs.

Unfortunately for Sark, his coaching days are pretty much over... especially as a head coach.

Hope the rehab goes well for him and he can get his life somewhat straightened out eventually...

TigerBait1971

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for USC is that they didn't do that. Had they fired him immediately then the ADA protection wouldn't apply. However, when they agreed to allow him to keep working while seeking treatment, the ADA protection applies.

Part of the problem with what happened yesterday is that the details were pretty vague. No one is saying that he was drunk, they are saying that he "didn't seem right" or "didn't seem like himself" and he didn't show up to the 12:30 practice.

Haden says that when Sark didn't show up for practice, Haden called him and it was obvious the he "wasn't healthy."

After the drunk incident at whatever event it was before the season, I assume this was discussed and USC gave him a chance to rehab as an accomodation....

They do not have to tolerate any relapse....

The ADA considers granting an employee appropriate leave to go through alcohol rehabilitation a sufficient and reasonable accommodation, and does not require that an employer tolerate relapse or consistent refusal to obtain help when given the appropriate chance. If an employer offers appropriate accommodation to an alcoholic employee, and the problems with the employee's alcohol abuse and resulting performance persist, than an employer can rightfully terminate the employee.

If he did show up drunk at work...

Exception to the Law
Neither federal nor state law mentioned above protects employees who abuse alcohol while at work, or whose alcohol abuse prevents them from performing any part of their job. If an employee abuses alcohol while on duty, or has some necessary license or authorization (such as a driver's license) revoked due to their drinking then an employer may terminate them without the accommodations required by law. While controlling law and public policy tends to encourage an environment in which alcoholics are able to seek the help they need without concern over losing their jobs, there is no requirement that an employer tolerate alcoholism while an employee is on duty.

:noidea:

I'd fire his ass...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I believe this is gonna "pan out" as you have just outlined.

The boosters may want him fired right now, but they don't have to worry... Sark isn't coming back to coach the team anyway.

USC isn't going to be vindicative against Sark... He has a serious problem and they'll work with him to get him the help he needs.

Unfortunately for Sark, his coaching days are pretty much over... especially as a head coach.

Hope the rehab goes well for him and he can get his life somewhat straightened out eventually...

Agree. I think Haden has handled this in a pretty fair way towards Sark. He's only 41, so he definitely has time to get his life together and get back into coaching football. It just won't be at USC.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the drunk incident at whatever event it was before the season, I assume this was discussed and USC gave him a chance to rehab as an accomodation....

They do not have to tolerate any relapse....

If he did show up drunk at work...

:noidea:

I'd fire his ass...

The problem is that no one is saying that he was drunk yesterday, just that he "wasn't himself" and "seemed off." To my knowledge, he wasn't tested and Haden's only interaction with him was on the phone. From what I'm told, in order to fire him, they'd have to be able to prove he was drunk at work again.

Haden has said that it was obvious that he "wasn't healthy" but not that he was drunk. Haden is a lawyer, so I'm going to guess that he has familiarized himself with what he can and cannot do and is acting on the side of caution.

Personally, I'd have fired him after the Salute to Troy incident, but unfortunately, no one asked me. :lol:

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of those douche bags should be fired; Sark and Haden. Incompetence personified. Let me guess, this was all caused by sanctions. LMAO!!

TigerBait1971

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that no one is saying that he was drunk yesterday, just that he wasn't himself and "seemed off." To my knowledge, he wasn't tested and Haden's only interaction with him was on the phone. From what I'm told, in order to fire him, they'd have to be able to prove he was drunk at work again.

Haden has said that it was obvious that he "wasn't healthy" but not that he was drunk. Haden is a lawyer, so I'm going to guess that he has familiarized himself with what he can and cannot do and is acting on the side of caution.

there were tweets earlier in this thread that said players thought he was drunk at the special teams meeting....

I guess if they didn't send him for a piss test, you are correct though....

BTW, LOL at all the Chip Kelly avy's in this thread.... LOL!

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dumpster fire at USC is personified by their race with the Ducks to lose to the most pathetic teams in the conference. Does USC play Colorado? Mark that down as a win for the Bufs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dumpster fire at USC is personified by their race with the Ducks to lose to the most pathetic teams in the conference. Does USC play Colorado? Mark that down as a win for the Bufs.

Translation = Please don't let our loss to Wazzou be the worst loss for any PAC team. :hope:

:lol: