• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary cap

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone posted a link on the other board showing our 2019 cap situation.

says we will be 51 million surplus & 48 players signed!

Pretty sure our extensions are gonna be fine.

Romos dead money now off the books will go to D-Law.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are finally in a decent cap spot. Let's hope we don't start doing stupid things like we did in the past and screw it all up again. Take that available cap space and start subtracting off our FAs and "FAs to be" and it disappears pretty quickly. Plus, it's important to be able to bring in at least one decent FA per year, which we were unable to do for years. No coincidence those years corresponded to little playoff success

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 will eat a lit of that cap space as we will have a lot of guys to sign that year.

Hoping to sign a few guys a season early.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is going to $191 million, we will be $54 million under the cap, but can get to $75-80 if we needed to with a couple of restructures. Bottom line is all these national articles about the Cowboys having to part ways with young stars is horseshit. They are like, ''22 million for Dak, 20 million for DLaw, 15 million for BJones, cut Zeke''. So stupid. They could sign a player to a 5 year $100 million contract but give them a $40 million bonus and a first year salary of $1 million and his cap hit is $9 million. The cap is going to do nothing but go up. The Cowboys won't get in trouble extending guys in their 20's, it's when you extend guys in their mid 30's that you get in a bind

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I don't want them to do. Front loading contracts and then restructuring is what killed us for years. I pray we don't start that crap again. Yes, it's much worse with older guys though. Now that we are out form under our cap hell we'll be able to sign our own if we are smart and even add some players (we kind of already added Cooper even though not a FA).

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what I don't want them to do. Front loading contracts and then restructuring is what killed us for years. I pray we don't start that crap again. Yes, it's much worse with older guys though. Now that we are out form under our cap hell we'll be able to sign our own if we are smart and even add some players (we kind of already added Cooper even though not a FA).

Go getEarl Thomas and the D will be special. A star on every level of that D.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go getEarl Thomas and the D will be special. A star on every level of that D.
It may already end up special. I think trading for Cooper means no ET even if he gets healthy next year.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may already end up special. I think trading for Cooper means no ET even if he gets healthy next year.

I think it would be the one guy that just makes the D really special. It’s damn good now. Star DE, two star LB (actually 3), star CB... plug in a ball hawk like Thomas and it’s on. Seems like all they really would need to pull out the draft is a DT and TE.
To be honest Irving might be the best of all of them. Do you put up with his shenanigans or move on?
Guess it depends on what Thomas is trying to get? Some humongous deals coming.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sign him. He is totally dominant. But I think most want to move on.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see how it goes. Let's say the Cowboys extend Dak, Byron Jones Amari and Zeke, but then say they don't have the money to keep Tank Lawrence and will let him walk. That doesn't work for me. When you have great players, you have to keep them, if you want to be any good. That's where Dak is going to be the key. The market value for Dak isn't going to be $20 million, it's going to be $28 million per. Will he be willing to follow the example set by guys like Tom Brady, who play for less money in order to keep other players around them? If he agrees to $21-22 million, it could be the difference between having to push money back to keep everyone or letting go of an aging star like Sean Lee. The Cowboys might not have to save $7 million by cutting Lee if Dak plays for less. If he pushes for $27-28 million, it's going to get tight. I think the push back on Dak from some of the folks on this board in regards to Dak isn't because he's not a good player, it's more about worrying about overpaying him(like a Bortles or Cousins). Tank, Jones, Cooper, soon to be Zeke and Jaylon Smith, every one of those guys is worth every penny of the going rate. Dak might be worth $18-20, but I would not give him $27-28. I would honestly let him walk if that's what he demands

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see how it goes. Let's say the Cowboys extend Dak, Byron Jones Amari and Zeke, but then say they don't have the money to keep Tank Lawrence and will let him walk. That doesn't work for me. When you have great players, you have to keep them, if you want to be any good. That's where Dak is going to be the key. The market value for Dak isn't going to be $20 million, it's going to be $28 million per. Will he be willing to follow the example set by guys like Tom Brady, who play for less money in order to keep other players around them? If he agrees to $21-22 million, it could be the difference between having to push money back to keep everyone or letting go of an aging star like Sean Lee. The Cowboys might not have to save $7 million by cutting Lee if Dak plays for less. If he pushes for $27-28 million, it's going to get tight. I think the push back on Dak from some of the folks on this board in regards to Dak isn't because he's not a good player, it's more about worrying about overpaying him(like a Bortles or Cousins). Tank, Jones, Cooper, soon to be Zeke and Jaylon Smith, every one of those guys is worth every penny of the going rate. Dak might be worth $18-20, but I would not give him $27-28. I would honestly let him walk if that's what he demands
problem is every Qb getting a new deal will & is overpaid. But it is the going price. So I am pretty sure we will sign Dak & will listen to everyone tell us there is no way he is worth it. Which will be true. However we are not replacing him with a rookie & we would have to overpay a retread if we dont sign Dak. So I completely expect Dak to get signed & I dont expect him to not ask for the going rate.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem is every Qb getting a new deal will & is overpaid. But it is the going price. So I am pretty sure we will sign Dak & will listen to everyone tell us there is no way he is worth it. Which will be true. However we are not replacing him with a rookie & we would have to overpay a retread if we dont sign Dak. So I completely expect Dak to get signed & I dont expect him to not ask for the going rate5b.

While I'm not fully sold on Dak, I do think he's franchised QB capable, I agree that he'll be resigned.
He's not a FA until 2020, but signing him early keep him out of the Goff and Wentz year. Of course Goff and Wentz have that 5th year team option hanging over their heads.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem is every Qb getting a new deal will & is overpaid. But it is the going price. So I am pretty sure we will sign Dak & will listen to everyone tell us there is no way he is worth it. Which will be true. However we are not replacing him with a rookie & we would have to overpay a retread if we dont sign Dak. So I completely expect Dak to get signed & I dont expect him to not ask for the going rate.
I agree with this