• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban to Texas --- $10 million/year

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas President Bill Powers said this is all rumors and Nick Saban has not been hired and he has never even met Saban or spoken to him. He did not give Mack much of a vote of confidence though like he has done in the past when asked about his future.

bagdad_bob_large.gif

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest folks, until the start of the 2014 season, and Saban is on the Alabama sideline and Mack Brown (or someone else other than Saban) is on the Texas, Nick Saban becoming the Texas headcoach is a real possibility. Because if we know one thing, Nick Saban only cares about one thing, Nick Saban's wallet. And Texas has plenty of money to fill it.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda surprising Powers made a statement to the media on the subject today. Bama leaders must have called him and asked him to set the record straight before a Bama fan goes all Toomers trees crazy up in Austin.
No he didn't want distractions for the Baylor game. Read his statement he keeps excluding certain activities from his statement to the point it's almost a non-statement.

I'm not saying it is or isn't happening but I'm 90% sure a preliminary offer from someone was made. Also hearing that his son and pregnant daughter in law bought a house in Austin. Have no idea if it's true but it was stated that it is a fact from the person who told me.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how so many posters say shit but stop just short enough so they can wiggle out of anything that comes back at them! :doh:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how so many posters say shit but stop just short enough so they can wiggle out of anything that comes back at them! :doh:

Just keep in mind - None of these threads that I have seen have been started, nor really backed by Texas fans.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep in mind - None of these threads that I have seen have been started, nor really backed by Texas fans.
I think it is bizarre I didn't believe a word of it then boom everyone in town is talking about it. This thing went zero to 60 in 24 hours. And there are several Texas sites that are blowing up about it.

I've gone from no way to 60/40 he stays.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is bizarre I didn't believe a word of it then boom everyone in town is talking about it. This thing went zero to 60 in 24 hours. And there are several Texas sites that are blowing up about it.

I know, but we are pretty much staying quiet (at least on here about it). I've said all along I don't think he will leave Bama. Hell, Mack may end up winning a Big 12 conference championship and a BCS bowl game this year. How in the hell do you want a coach who has won you 4 BCS bowl games including an NC to leave right after winning another?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But let's also keep in mind I highly doubt we will hear anything until bowl season concludes. Because while yes, there may be some back channel comms that have this thing all but official, there still would be several steps (most for PR). First Mack Brown would have to actually announce his retirement, and he is not likely to do that before the bowl. Then Texas would have to "start" a search process. While it might all be for show, they are probably going to go through the dance for a while. Then and only then would Texas make the announcement of the hiring of Nick Saban.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, codaxx, has previously mentioned the 15 day no-contact period for recruits after the regular season ends as a viable time to replace Mack. I can't remember when this period begins or ends other than it's before the bowl season.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might see Alabama make Saben an offer he can't refuse and end this thing early.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but we are pretty much staying quiet (at least on here about it). I've said all along I don't think he will leave Bama. Hell, Mack may end up winning a Big 12 conference championship and a BCS bowl game this year. How in the hell do you want a coach who has won you 4 BCS bowl games including an NC to leave right after winning another?

Best point on the thread! I guess you then tell Saban he can't come. :noidea:

Wonder how that would go over? :scratch:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might see Alabama make Saben an offer he can't refuse and end this thing early.
Well I thought about that and if the rumors are correct and we are looking at 8 to 10 million I don't think Alabama should match that number.

Each team took in about 25 million (note I'm going from memory so don't start posting links where I am wrong if I am then fine) each. If Alabama offered to match 8 million that is one third and lets be honest most sports don't even break even so this ends up being a material number in regards to the overall athletic budget (note not many are making money). Then you have the political aspects of the schools facility that will lose their minds if they made such an offer.

On the other side Texas could pull this from their LHN money without much problem.

The interesting side part of this if a mega deal goes through is those coaches at other schools that have clauses stating they have to be paid X amount or X percentage based on the highest paid coach. A mega deal has the potential to cause several schools a huge problem (assuming these clauses still exist and they did at least several years ago).

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought texas was mahlzan's dream job....
Might be I guess he could be plan B. Auburn wouldn't be able to outbid Texas so it is what it is.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we've gone from rumors to it is definitely plan A and we even got a plan B figured out too? Interesting? :scratch:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sources (former Alabama player and family friend of the Sabans, as well as another man close to the program) tell me it's a done deal. Expect to hear something official in the next few weeks.

Your sources are shit. What a surprise.