• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban finally speaks about 10 second rule

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true. But welcome to other conferences. Where you have to prepare for several vastly different offensive styles.

Other coaches just deal with it and don't bitch about it.
I'm not defending Saban, nor the way the rule was proposed. I simply think the rule makes sense to me, creates a better O v. D balance, and it is the way I want my college football played. I've been very clear on this throughout this discussion on other threads. I want 28-21 games, not a 57-42 SEC championship game. Just my opinion.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I promise you that would not go away. There is no way that the offense will be allowed to sub in/out a kicking unit without giving the defense a change to respond.
I promise you it would go away. See where that got us?

I am being serious in asking the question ... I can't in any way seeing a rule that gives the D 10 seconds to sub, then if the O subs, the D gets to sub again. Perhaps with a kicking unit, but not on every play. That simply would not make sense. But, I am totally open to you pointing me to references that say otherwise.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he recruit players against the spread when he mostly plays against Pro style O's? That would seem to be kind of dumb.

This is changing fast. In fact Bama will play more spread offenses in the SEC West than pro style. Why he hates it. Has to change his recruiting tactics midstream.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps that is not true. You may see a dawn of the "tweener". You will see Safeties and LBs' appearances merge. Defenses will rely on 200-215 LB athletes that can run to shore up defenses. That play for 3 downs. 250 LB MLB is pretty much dead in football, outside of high school football and the SEC.
Maybe, but I don't think that you will see serious football taking situational defense out of the game.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but I don't think that you will see serious football taking situational defense out of the game.

It is a bigger issue in the NFL than CFB. Not sure what the term "serious football" means

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps that is not true. You may see a dawn of the "tweener". You will see Safeties and LBs' appearances merge. Defenses will rely on 200-215 LB athletes that can run to shore up defenses. That play for 3 downs. 250 LB MLB is pretty much dead in football, outside of high school football and the SEC.

I actually think the MLB position is disappearing in high school the spread has become so prominent that you rarely see a huddle anymore and inside linebackers are more safety oriented guys that fill holes or cover backs out of the backfield.

You see so many 4 and 5 receiver sets (including the TE and back in motion) the lead option out of an I formation has almost disappeared. You see a lot more offensive linemen pulling down the line as well the athletes that used to be at the middle LB position are now on the outside as DE or straight up DT.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the way the game is played today and in the NFL I don't think that we need to look at posts here to know that situational defense and special package defense is the way the game is played today. You may want to go back to 11 v .11, but that isn't the way it is played today, and not the way it will be played in the future.

We're talking college football. Who gives a rat's ass about the NFL. It became a joke in the early 90's because of situation football and hasn't been worth watching since. If anything the NFL should take a clue from the college game to put some excitement back into the NFL.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is changing fast. In fact Bama will play more spread offenses in the SEC West than pro style. Why he hates it. Has to change his recruiting tactics midstream.
I am trying to stay out of the Bama/Saban discussion/hate here ... I don't find the defending Saban at all costs position very tenable, but the anti-Saban/Bama hate is pathetic in my mind. With that said, do you realize how dumb it is to think think that Saban couldn't make the adjustment? Seriously? He doesn't recruit ... he selects the players he wants and pretty much gets whoever he wants. I hate him for it, especially because we have to recruit against him for our own home grown players. But, the idea that Saban is afraid of it, or couldn't do it is really idiotic. Sorry, but that is the objective truth.

I also don't think you are right about the spread in the SEC. Who do you have as running the spread?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bigger issue in the NFL than CFB. Not sure what the term "serious football" means
Yeah, not sure why I typed that. Certainly the NFL, and I don't see the CFB game that far away from the NFL when players want to be NFL ready.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking college football. Who gives a rat's ass about the NFL. It became a joke in the early 90's because of situation football and hasn't been worth watching since. If anything the NFL should take a clue from the college game to put some excitement back into the NFL.
This statement should disqualify you from participating further in the discussion. :whistle: :nod:

There isn't a healthier, wealthier sport in the US than the NFL. So, while you find it not worth watching, it remains the no. 1 watched sport in the land. I wonder who is right on this one ... you or everyone else? Yeah, I am going with everyone else, too.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor troll is poor.

You stated it was from many sources and then tried to pass off (again, I should add - not the first time you posted that) a misquoted webpage without actually providing the link. Were you hoping no one would check that you mashed up the actual article with a reader comment?

Well Potsie, I would love to see the link to your accusation! I call BS!!! Also, I know what I know. Really don't give a shit on the link or not. A real live person didn't provide me that. I was just trying to google an article that might for other benefits, not mine. I have no clue to who that was. Pretty sure my post indicated that. However, if you want to feel like you uncovered something Columbo, you go right ahead!

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trying to stay out of the Bama/Saban discussion/hate here ... I don't find the defending Saban at all costs position very tenable, but the anti-Saban/Bama hate is pathetic in my mind. With that said, do you realize how dumb it is to think think that Saban couldn't make the adjustment? Seriously? He doesn't recruit ... he selects the players he wants and pretty much gets whoever he wants. I hate him for it, especially because we have to recruit against him for our own home grown players. But, the idea that Saban is afraid of it, or couldn't do it is really idiotic. Sorry, but that is the objective truth.

I also don't think you are right about the spread in the SEC. Who do you have as running the spread?

Good luck rationalizing with unrational people! :rollseyes:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Finebaum is your "inside" source that none of us have access to except you?

And no he doesn't count if Saban came on the show and said it publicly then yes but feeding Finebaum info so you don't have to be publically accountable for those statements absolutely does not count.

An official release from the University Athletic Department would count so maybe you can use your "sources' to get one issued.

OMG WT! Has SportsHoopla rubbed off on you and made you a blubbering idiot too? I mentioned him because he did say it. Does that make him my source? Is Deb my source since I googled to try and find an article outside of Redding quote? I wouldn't give you or anyone the satisfaction to know who it is but I promise you I feel very comfortable saying Saban was asked! I find this kind of ironic since you have written many a post insinuating how many important people you know at Auburn.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG WT! Has SportsHoopla rubbed off on you and made you a blubbering idiot too? I mentioned him because he did say it. Does that make him my source? Is Deb my source since I googled to try and find an article outside of Redding quote? I wouldn't give you or anyone the satisfaction to know who it is but I promise you I feel very comfortable saying Saban was asked! I find this kind of ironic since you have written many a post insinuating how many important people you know at Auburn.

I never insinuate that I know important people I do occasionally pass on information I hear on the "street" but I absolutely never try to pass it on as 100% accurate and to be honest I never believe 100% what anyone tells me.

The truth is sometimes information is correct today and can change dramatically tomorrow and I typically avoid statements that are absolute unless I am sure. However you know this because you accuse me of it all the time and get pissy because I won't back myself in a corner and let you hammer on me.

Guess what you might should follow my example and you wouldn't be stuck in a corner with Paul and Deb your ace sources.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be candid here, both sides are whining about it being unfair, just for different reasons. Both sides are simply trying to protect or advocate for the position that is their best interest. Nothing special about that.

I can agree with that.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never insinuate that I know important people I do occasionally pass on information I hear on the "street" but I absolutely never try to pass it on as 100% accurate and to be honest I never believe 100% what anyone tells me.

The truth is sometimes information is correct today and can change dramatically tomorrow and I typically avoid statements that are absolute unless I am sure. However you know this because you accuse me of it all the time and get pissy because I won't back myself in a corner and let you hammer on me.

Guess what you might should follow my example and you wouldn't be stuck in a corner with Paul and Deb your ace sources.

Some things are absolutes, but how did Paul or Deb become my sources? Because you said so? I googled an article and pasted it and even said not sure what this is. As for Paul, he did say it. I heard him but it makes neither my source. Again, it amazes me how many people add their own shit to something to come to a conclusion on here. And you have made comments about Auburn's Cam case that made it sound like you were sitting at the lawyers table when they were discussing the facts! There was no doubting it was 100% with you on that subject. Pissy? Nice word Deb!

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some things are absolutes, but how did Paul or Deb become my sources? Because you said so? I googled an article and pasted it and even said not sure what this is. As for Paul, he did say it. I heard him but it makes neither my source. Again, it amazes me how many people add their own shit to something to come to a conclusion on here. And you have made comments about Auburn's Cam case that made it sound like you were sitting at the lawyers table when they were discussing the facts! There was no doubting it was 100% with you on that subject. Pissy? Nice word Deb!

So what you're saying is I sound like an attorney and you sound like a Finebaum caller?