• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban finally speaks about 10 second rule

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama's Nick Saban talks 10-second rule, pace of play issues - CBSSports.com

Saban claims that he "had nothing to do" with the 10-second idea and most people discussing the issue "don't have all the facts."

Seems like he has some thoughts on why it needs to be looked at and its not just about what many have stated incorrectly to this point. I like his thoughts on a study needing to be done(which was all he ever talked about before).

Thought I would start this since it is inevitable that it was going to happen anyway. Let the "Saban hate" begin.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama's Nick Saban talks 10-second rule, pace of play issues - CBSSports.com

Seems like he has some thoughts on why it needs to be looked at and its not just about what many have stated incorrectly to this point. I like his thoughts on a study needing to be done(which was all he ever talked about before).

Thought I would start this since it is inevitable that it was going to happen anyway. Let the "Saban hate" begin.

I'm with slick Nick.

"So I think those are all issues that people need to look at. In the NFL, what they did is the officials stand over the ball until the officials are ready to call the game. All right, that's how they control the pace of play. The coach at Philadelphia ran 83 plays a game at Oregon, and ran 65 a game in Philadelphia. So why do they control the pace of play in the NFL? I mean, I'm just asking.
But anyway, there's just a lot of issues that need to be looked at, but I think the bottom line is, was football intended to be a continuous game?"

The game has changed radically towards a huge favor for the offense.

Our instant gratification society keeps pushing for more up tempo...everything. Faster, faster, faster. Is faster really better?

I want the best teams to win.

Why does every rule change have to be in favor of fast paced offenses? Isn't that a single niche of football? Why should that style be rewarded so handsomely?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

"look at us! Look at us! Pleeeeeaaaaaase? We're Bama!"

5 threads started about Bama or Saban that are on the first page of threads, only one(this one) started by a Bama fan about Alabama(or Saban). Hardly falls in the "look at us!" category, more like rent free living category. Thought I would beat you haters to the punch this time and start it for you.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 threads started about Bama or Saban that are on the first page of threads, only one(this one) started by a Bama fan about Alabama(or Saban). Hardly falls in the "look at us!" category, more like rent free living category. Thought I would beat you haters to the punch this time and start it for you.

Not me, I love Bama aparently, since every other poster in here attempts to call me a "team SEC nutswanger."

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me, I love Bama aparently, since every other poster in here attempts to call me a "team SEC nutswanger."

If you are a fan of an SEC school, you are a "nutswanger", its guilt by association to them.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does every rule change have to be in favor of fast paced offenses? Isn't that a single niche of football? Why should that style be rewarded so handsomely?

Because it's exciting and excitement brings tv contracts and tv contracts brings lots of money and power. You really didn't think this is about college football, did you? :lol:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3417156790_e339862556.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice explanation. Not sure I buy it. First of all, he asked to speak to the committee, he wasn't invited. Then the committee decides to present the new rule for approval.

If all he truly wants is for the player safety issue to be looked at, then why go before the committee. Why not simply call a press conference and say "I think we need to look at this, there could be a safety issue"? Also, why has it taken him so long to speak up given all of the heat that he's been taking since then?

Also, the anti-hunh crowd says they want "the best team to win". Why is it assumed that a team that runs hunh is not the better team? What is stopping some of these slower paced teams from speeding up the pace themselves?

Heck, USC has run an offense that is very similar to 'Bama's for as long as I can remember. Now Sark says he's going to implement some hunh. I have no problem as long as it works.

Not trying to hate on 'Bama or Saban, but also not willing to just buy into his explanation either.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's exciting and excitement brings tv contracts and tv contracts brings lots of money and power. You really didn't think this is about college football, did you? :lol:

True. Sorry for the obvious stupid post.

Whatever ADD attention span Americans can take, ADD attention span Americans will get.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice explanation. Not sure I buy it. First of all, he asked to speak to the committee, he wasn't invited. Then the committee decides to present the new rule for approval.

If all he truly wants is for the player safety issue to be looked at, then why go before the committee. Why not simply call a press conference and say "I think we need to look at this, there could be a safety issue"? Also, why has it taken him so long to speak up given all of the heat that he's been taking since then?

Also, the anti-hunh crowd says they want "the best team to win". Why is it assumed that a team that runs hunh is not the better team? What is stopping some of these slower paced teams from speeding up the pace themselves?

Heck, USC has run an offense that is very similar to 'Bama's for as long as I can remember. Now Sark says he's going to implement some hunh. I have no problem as long as it works.

Not trying to hate on 'Bama or Saban, but also not willing to just buy into his explanation either.

Good question!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didnt realize he had to explain himself to America. Whether he asked to speak to them or they asked him to come has no bearing on what he spoke with them about when he went there, so this part is irrelevant and only seeks to discredit him for biased reasons IMO.

His reasons make sense to me and would even if I was not an Alabama fan. He made good points and used the speed of the game in the NFL as a reference point, incorporating a recent defector that runs the HUHN at the NFL level as an example. He has done some homework on the subject apparently and stated plainly that it warrants a study and consideration. He didnt say anything about wanting the rule implemented nor is he the originator of the rule, he just thinks it warrants a look into for a few sound reasons.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like St. Nicky is back-peddling from his original stance and trying to save face when maybe 25% of college coaches want that stupid rule he does. He would make a fine politician, perhaps after he is done with Bama. Gawd knows the South needs some compromising.

Oregon State doesn't play a HUNH on offense in the Pac, but damn...I think we do a pretty good job of slowing it down with our 3* athletes on defense. Nicky should be fine with all his 5* players. Quit whimpering and get the job done Nick! Comes down to coaching I spose, maybe Bama's coach aint up to the task at hand.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think that is what they meant by the question at all. But why does a team want to make this about scheming and the element of surprise and not about your best against our best. Personally i can accept losing if a team lines up and whips us, but to lose to a slight of hand trick or lining up 4.5 speedsters against linebackers is a mismatch and not playing your best against our best. Its deception and not necessarily seeing who the best team is, but who is better at getting back to the line with the fastest players, not best players necessarily.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like St. Nicky is back-peddling from his original stance and trying to save face when maybe 25% of college coaches want that stupid rule he does. He would make a fine politician, perhaps after he is done with Bama. Gawd knows the South needs some compromising.

Oregon State doesn't play a HUNH on offense in the Pac, but damn...I think we do a pretty good job of slowing it down with our 3* athletes on defense. Nicky should be fine with all his 5* players. Quit whimpering and get the job done Nick! Comes down to coaching I spose, maybe Bama's coach aint up to the task at hand.

This is not backpedaling, this has been his stance all along. He hasnt changed a thing. He stated in this about player safety, he also talked about speed of the game and best on best. This is all the same things he has talked on in the past and I am sure exactly what he spoke on in the meeting with much more depth.

Let me ask this of anyone in here. What does he have to gain by backpedaling? Your respect? like he needs it or even cares about it. What i find laughable is that it wouldnt matter if he said anything at all or told you the truth, he is still going to be labeled a liar. That says more about the people involved than it does him.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not backpedaling, this has been his stance all along. He hasnt changed a thing. He stated in this about player safety, he also talked about speed of the game and best on best. This is all the same things he has talked on in the past and I am sure exactly what he spoke on in the meeting with much more depth.

Let me ask this of anyone in here. What does he have to gain by backpedaling? Your respect? like he needs it or even cares about it. What i find laughable is that it wouldnt matter if he said anything at all or told you the truth, he is still going to be labeled a liar. That says more about the people involved than it does him.

Evening Bo, longtime no speaky. Hope all is well in your world.

It's like getting a mulligan off the 1st teebox after ya sent your first ball into the pond directly in back of the teebox. I am not calling your coach a liar Bo. Games changing and evolving every year, teams have to adapt, not make new rules under the guise of player safety issues with no data to back it up. That's all I'm saying.

Anywhoze, you know me...I like to throw rocks at hornet nests from 2 feet away.:gaah:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evening Bo, longtime no speaky. Hope all is well in your world.

It's like getting a mulligan off the 1st teebox after ya sent your first ball into the pond directly in back of the teebox. I am not calling your coach a liar Bo. Games changing and evolving every year, teams have to adapt, not make new rules under the guise of player safety issues with no data to back it up. That's all I'm saying.

Anywhoze, you know me...I like to throw rocks at hornet nests from 2 feet away.:gaah:

Sup Wallace, Worlds not bad to me right now. Back in the South again doing work closer to home for IBM, so I am getting to spend more time on the lake at home. Cant complain, just wish winter would give us a few more warm days to enjoy more lake time.

I know Nick has stepped in it, but I still stand on the premise that football should be about the best on best, not about who can get to the line first and snap the ball.