• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

About the last second Kick return/ Play of game.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to thinking about this while discussing the Fumble out of the endzone rule. When people were talking of not being able to advance the fumble.

I know the rule is supposed to be something like. Only the guy that fumbles can advance a fumble in the last 2 minutes or 5 minutes of the game. Whatever that rule is.

So we watch the final KO return or even final play of the game. when the guys keep throwing it backwards trying to keep the ball alive. The refs let it go until someone is finally tackled or a turnover occurs. Thing is if this fumble rule is being enforced & a player throws an incomplete backward pass, that should mean only that player should be able to keep the ball alive. He is the fumbler. But the player he was trying to throw too picks it up & runs around with it. Why isnt this play blown dead at that point? I know I am missing something, so what am I missing?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume the rule exists so a fumbling player cannot intentionally fumble a ball forward to a teammate in the waning moments of a game

think a player getting tackled at the 2 on the final play of a game and he “fumbles” the ball into the end zone in an attempt to create a melee for the ball and potential TD

if that player was to “lateral” to a teammate, that would be legal

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume the rule exists so a fumbling player cannot intentionally fumble a ball forward to a teammate in the waning moments of a game

think a player getting tackled at the 2 on the final play of a game and he “fumbles” the ball into the end zone in an attempt to create a melee for the ball and potential TD

if that player was to “lateral” to a teammate, that would be legal
I know why the rule is in place. but when the ball hits the ground on a backward pass/pitch. That is also a fumble.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know why the rule is in place. but when the ball hits the ground on a backward pass/pitch. That is also a fumble.

dont think that’s how it’s viewed on a lateral

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont think that’s how it’s viewed on a lateral
I dont know.
I do know in the regular part of the game if a QB throws it backwards or pitches to no one, he gets credited with a fumble.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
You can't fumble the ball forward to gain yards. Anyone can advance it when you fumble backwards as in the case you mentioned