• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban finally speaks about 10 second rule

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read where he was asked turned them down. they kept asking and he accepted. You believe what you want and I will too. I live here and I have very good reasons to believe what I wrote!

Providing a link would help your case.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Providing a link would help your case.

I find something like below but it never mentions in article. I have always said I know based on some information outside the media but try to make some comments on a message board to the connections you have and it only becomes ammunition for jokes! It is what it is.

It's about time Steve Spurrier sounded off on “The Saban Rule ...
collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/.../its-about-time-steve-spurrier-sounde...‎
Feb 20, 2014 - Saban was on hand for the Football Rules Committee meeting that led to .... but they kept asking and he finally agreed to come speak to them.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find something like below but it never mentions in article. I have always said I know based on some information outside the media but try to make some comments on a message board to the connections you have and it only becomes ammunition for jokes! It is what it is.

Feb 20, 2014 - Saban was on hand for the Football Rules Committee meeting that led to .... but they kept asking and he finally agreed to come speak to them.

Well, of course it's going to be ammunition for jokes. People can make all kinds of crazy claims on the internet. I can claim that I know everything that's going on with USC's team because I'm Steve Sarkisian. How are you going to disprove that?

For all any of us know, you may have dinner at Nick Saban's house every Sunday or you may be a 45 year old sitting in his Mom's basement. That's why I try not to post anything that I can't back up with a link. Otherwise, it just comes off as someone trying desperately to get people off his coaches/teams back by making claims that he can't back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, of course it's going to be ammunition for jokes. People can make all kinds of crazy claims on the internet. I can claim that I know everything that's going on with USC's team because I'm Steve Sarkisian. How are you going to disprove that?

For all any of us know, you may have dinner at Nick Saban's house every Sunday or you may be a 45 year old sitting in his Mom's basement. That's why I try not to post anything that I can't back up with a link. Otherwise, it just comes off as someone trying desperately to get people off his coaches/teams back by making claims that he can't back up.

B-I-N-G-O

BTW: I had no idea you were Steve Sarkisian can you hook me up with sideline passes? I would totally make the trip for that!

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, you auburn fans are relentless :lol:
:twitch:

Could you actually provide the LINK? :L

It's about time Steve Spurrier sounded off on The Saban Rule? | CollegeFootballTalk
Saban was on hand for the Football Rules Committee meeting that led to the proposal being drafted. Saban has long been vocal about slowing down the pace of college football, and he reportedly addressed his concerns with the committee.

:lol:

Your "source" is "Deb" on the NBC sports comment page?
Deb says:
Feb 20, 2014 10:50 PM
It won’t be popular to say so, but the funny thing about the “Saban Rule” is that Saban didn’t propose it. The committee called asking him to come in and give them his thoughts on the proposed rule. He turned them down a couple of times, but they kept asking and he finally agreed to come speak to them. He may like it, but it wasn’t his idea.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deb is the Matt Drudge of Bama football.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Finebaum count? He said Saban was asked several times. One might not like him but he is good. Again, I have my own reasons for knowing as well! But since I'm really Kirby Smart I can't reveal that because no one will believe me! :L

potzer25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor troll is poor.

You stated it was from many sources and then tried to pass off (again, I should add - not the first time you posted that) a misquoted webpage without actually providing the link. Were you hoping no one would check that you mashed up the actual article with a reader comment?

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Finebaum count? He said Saban was asked several times. One might not like him but he is good. Again, I have my own reasons for knowing as well! But since I'm really Kirby Smart I can't reveal that because no one will believe me! :L

So Finebaum is your "inside" source that none of us have access to except you?

And no he doesn't count if Saban came on the show and said it publicly then yes but feeding Finebaum info so you don't have to be publically accountable for those statements absolutely does not count.

An official release from the University Athletic Department would count so maybe you can use your "sources' to get one issued.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. Finebaum doesn't count. :L

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see people still don't understand what is happening. The 10 second rule does nothing but allow defenses a guaranteed substitution first. The facts that few plays would be impacted by this argues against the reason for implementing it: it does not reduce the number of plays - which is what was suggested could result in injury.

Currently the defense is guaranteed a substitution if the offense subs first. With the 10 second rule, if the defense subs during the first 10 seconds and then the offense subs out two players, does the defense get ANOTHER substitution? Why? The defense already has the advantage of substituting LAST - that is an advantage for the defense. :L

Potzer ... you've said this in many posts. Yet, I haven't seen a single article mention, in any way, that the rule would allow the D to sub, then the O to sub, then the D guaranteed to sub again. I believe you are conflating the rules as they are now - that allow a D to sub if the O subs - with the new proposed rule that gives the D a guaranteed right to sub on every play. If the new rule goes into play, it seems to me that they old rule that the D gets to sub after the O would no longer be in place. Under the new rule bot sides can sub within the 10 second period.

Can you site to an article or post that supports your position?

Does anyone else read the rule this way, because I haven't seen anyone other than Potzer assert this to be true.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, actually it is the folks who are in favor of the 10 second rule that are crying. The whole point of the rule is based on the hunh being "unfair".

Pretty funny that whole rule came up because those against the hunh claimed it was "unfair" and now those same folks want to say it's those against the rule saying it's "unfair".

How have you missed that?
Let's be candid here, both sides are whining about it being unfair, just for different reasons. Both sides are simply trying to protect or advocate for the position that is their best interest. Nothing special about that.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even the biggest Big 12 homer would've thought that Texas A&M would scare Saban so much that he'd ask for rule changes. Here's a thought, recruit against the spread, the big 12 is starting to recruit more Linebacker/safety players more equipped to stay on the field and play in space.
Why would he recruit players against the spread when he mostly plays against Pro style O's? That would seem to be kind of dumb.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes it is the best. Why do you need a package to stop the run anyway...the whole idea of defense is to stop the offense regardless of what play they run. But you (and Saban) are telling me that each play the offense runs needs a "special package" defense...
Based on the way the game is played today and in the NFL I don't think that we need to look at posts here to know that situational defense and special package defense is the way the game is played today. You may want to go back to 11 v .11, but that isn't the way it is played today, and not the way it will be played in the future.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he recruit players against the spread when he mostly plays against Pro style O's? That would seem to be kind of dumb.

That is true. But welcome to other conferences. Where you have to prepare for several vastly different offensive styles.

Other coaches just deal with it and don't bitch about it.

potzer25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potzer ... you've said this in many posts. Yet, I haven't seen a single article mention, in any way, that the rule would allow the D to sub, then the O to sub, then the D guaranteed to sub again. I believe you are conflating the rules as they are now - that allow a D to sub if the O subs - with the new proposed rule that gives the D a guaranteed right to sub on every play. If the new rule goes into play, it seems to me that they old rule that the D gets to sub after the O would no longer be in place. Under the new rule bot sides can sub within the 10 second period.

Can you site to an article or post that supports your position?

Does anyone else read the rule this way, because I haven't seen anyone other than Potzer assert this to be true.

I promise you that would not go away. There is no way that the offense will be allowed to sub in/out a kicking unit without giving the defense a change to respond.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the way the game is played today and in the NFL I don't think that we need to look at posts here to know that situational defense and special package defense is the way the game is played today. You may want to go back to 11 v .11, but that isn't the way it is played today, and not the way it will be played in the future.

Perhaps that is not true. You may see a dawn of the "tweener". You will see Safeties and LBs' appearances merge. Defenses will rely on 200-215 LB athletes that can run to shore up defenses. That play for 3 downs. 250 LB MLB is pretty much dead in football, outside of high school football and the SEC.