• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Pole Hired as Bears GM

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im wanting some hipowered offense.....Love to a Mahomes,Burrows,Herbert,Brady type of offense.......but we'll see.....just be a coach we can depend on.....
Apparently, he would be bringing KC's QB coach and passing coordinator with him to be the OC. Plenty of teams with a defensive minded coach have had great offenses. Hell, Dan Quinn is an example. His D sucked but he had a stretch where he won a good deal.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polian was more or less running the search. But I understand the trepidation.
Yeah, I think all of us feel some anxiety. But the more I read about Poles the better. Sounds like he can be a great asset.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. I'm just a bit confused about those two in the mix.
That, I will admit, is a total McCaskey thing. They always want these older/experienced "leader of men" and "change the culture" types. This is just like how they got to pick John Fox out for Pace.

I don't care if you're a "leader of men". I care if you can game plan, adjust, and call f'n plays. "Men" don't need leaders. They're freaking men. They are professionals paid millions. They shouldn't need a god damn cheerleader. I don't care if our next HC is passed out drunk in his office in between film sessions, if he still gets the game plan together and executes on Sundays.

Pop Warner kids need a leader at HC, high school kids need a leader at HC, and hell... college kids need it too. Professionals should not need that. Coach does his job. You do yours.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of that cliche. It's the second time I've heard it coming out of Hallas Hall and the last time it led to a piss poor hire.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That, I will admit, is a total McCaskey thing. They always want these older/experienced "leader of men" and "change the culture" types. This is just like how they got to pick John Fox out for Pace.

I don't care if you're a "leader of men". I care if you can game plan, adjust, and call f'n plays. "Men" don't need leaders. They're freaking men. They are professionals paid millions. They shouldn't need a god damn cheerleader. I don't care if our next HC is passed out drunk in his office in between film sessions, if he still gets the game plan together and executes on Sundays.

Pop Warner kids need a leader at HC, high school kids need a leader at HC, and hell... college kids need it too. Professionals should not need that. Coach does his job. You do yours.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of that cliche. It's the second time I've heard it coming out of Hallas Hall and the last time it led to a piss poor hire.
I think a lot not us are at this point as well.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But damn... Quinn and Caldwell are really 2 of our 3 finalists? Shit man. 66% chance we get one of two guys who have already failed.
Call it coincidence, but the same time the Bears made it official that Pole was named our GM, Caldwell just so happened to be in the building at the same time. So naturally Pole has interviewed Caldwell or will be likely by no later than tomorrow. Actually, while he was not on my top list of potential hires, I always thought Caldwell did a decent job with the two teams, the Colts and the Lions, who previously employed him as their head coach. At the time of his hire, the Colts were a good team, and Caldwell took them to the SB. And how many Lions head coaches can actually brag about having a winning record during their tenure.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe the hype this far, Ryan 2.0 is an A++ hiring. If he is all that the hype suggests, maybe he has his own agenda for next HC - not named Cald, Uber, or Quinn.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call it coincidence, but the same time the Bears made it official that Pole was named our GM, Caldwell just so happened to be in the building at the same time. So naturally Pole has interviewed Caldwell or will be likely by no later than tomorrow. Actually, while he was not on my top list of potential hires, I always thought Caldwell did a decent job with the two teams, the Colts and the Lions, who previously employed him as their head coach. At the time of his hire, the Colts were a good team, and Caldwell took them to the SB. And how many Lions head coaches can actually brag about having a winning record during their tenure.
At the time of his hire, the Colts were a good team, and Caldwell took them to the SB.

Yes, he took over a SB caliber team. Peyton Manning took them to the SB. He was totally outcoached and lost. Then, ya know what? Never won another playoff game with them and finished with a 26-22 record.

And how many Lions head coaches can actually brag about having a winning record during their tenure.

Jim Schwartz and his job with the Lions were pretty much negligible in difference, when you consider the fact that he took over an 0-16 team from the year prior. He also had a playoff appearance and lost in the first round.

Caldwell took over a team with Stafford, Megatron, Burleson, Suh, Fairley, and some other talent. Did nothing.

Caldwell wasn't like a total train wreck at either stop. However, he was pretty much just above average with a HOF QB. I guess he rode him to one SB loss. Then, he was mediocre with the Lions. Don't just use the "Detroit Lions" excuse. That team had talent 2014-2018.

He's just such a "meh" hire. A guy where... we know what he is and it ain't that great. That's so uninspiring for a fanbase begging for something fresh to fuel some optimism.

And apparently Brown demanded full control over the hire. So, we shall see.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe the hype this far, Ryan 2.0 is an A++ hiring. If he is all that the hype suggests, maybe he has his own agenda for next HC - not named Cald, Uber, or Quinn.
Yeah, reportedly, he demanded full control over his HC hire. So, I feel better.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time of his hire, the Colts were a good team, and Caldwell took them to the SB.

Yes, he took over a SB caliber team. Peyton Manning took them to the SB. He was totally outcoached and lost. Then, ya know what? Never won another playoff game with them and finished with a 26-22 record.

And how many Lions head coaches can actually brag about having a winning record during their tenure.

Jim Schwartz and his job with the Lions were pretty much negligible in difference, when you consider the fact that he took over an 0-16 team from the year prior. He also had a playoff appearance and lost in the first round.

Caldwell took over a team with Stafford, Megatron, Burleson, Suh, Fairley, and some other talent. Did nothing.

Caldwell wasn't like a total train wreck at either stop. However, he was pretty much just above average with a HOF QB. I guess he rode him to one SB loss. Then, he was mediocre with the Lions. Don't just use the "Detroit Lions" excuse. That team had talent 2014-2018.

He's just such a "meh" hire. A guy where... we know what he is and it ain't that great. That's so uninspiring for a fanbase begging for something fresh to fuel some optimism.

And apparently Brown demanded full control over the hire. So, we shall see.
I wasn't trying to sing praises about him. I just thought if the Bears are set on hiring him, we could do worse. Of course we could do better, but from what I've been reading, he appears to be among the few finalists, so he wouldn't be my top choice, but I'd be willing to give him a shot. Remember, my first choice was Brian Daboll, but he appears to be out of the running. Actually, I'd like to see Pole give a call to Sean Payton and see if he'd be interested.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eberfluss is Bill Polian's recommendation after we brought him on as an outside consultant. Indy's DC. 5 straight top 10 finishes or something for that D under him. Supposed to be a real bright up and coming coach. Which I'd rather have than two guys who have already been through the mill and got washed out. I want him, even if by default. If he can bring a good offensive mind along with him, I would be into that.

Quinn and Caldwell wreak of McCaskey guys. Just another John Fox.
They chose fox because of his experience with a new GM. Make no mistake, Andy Reid built the Chiefs roster, so as far as experience goes, no different than pace being 2 steps behind making roster choices being a helper doing paperwork. He basically has the same scouting history as pace, only difference is he might have scouted mahomes.

Give him a chance, sure, but might just be the McCaskeys are fans of Rocks HBO football show Ballers.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make no mistake, Andy Reid built the Chiefs roster, so as far as experience goes, no different than pace being 2 steps behind making roster choices being a helper doing paperwork
Based on the details of Pole's background flooding the media over the past 24 hours, i would disagree with this. Sources say he hand-picked several KC players that the GM and Reid essentially signed off on.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, reportedly, he demanded full control over his HC hire. So, I feel better.
Well see if that claim is legit soon. If Ryan Poles expands his HC search beyond the three listed candidates then I'll believe it. If he only keeps it to the picks his boss(es) laid before him then no he really doesn't have full control like he's claiming. I find it hard to believe that Caldwell, Eberflus, and Quinn where the only guy's he had in mind to run the Bears if he became GM.

If he looks outside and interviews his own candidates and comes back to the aforementioned three I can believe it's his choice then. If not he's just another "yes man."

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They chose fox because of his experience with a new GM. Make no mistake, Andy Reid built the Chiefs roster, so as far as experience goes, no different than pace being 2 steps behind making roster choices being a helper doing paperwork. He basically has the same scouting history as pace, only difference is he might have scouted mahomes.

Give him a chance, sure, but might just be the McCaskeys are fans of Rocks HBO football show Ballers.
No one claimed Pole built the Chiefs roster. Clearly, he was not the GM. Unless you hire someone who was already a GM (rare, obviously) you're not getting someone who "built" that team's roster. No one is hiring a GM this year who "built" their former team's roster.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one claimed Pole built the Chiefs roster. Clearly, he was not the GM. Unless you hire someone who was already a GM (rare, obviously) you're not getting someone who "built" that team's roster. No one is hiring a GM this year who "built" their former team's roster.
As usual, you are upset that you are missing the point again.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the details of Pole's background flooding the media over the past 24 hours, i would disagree with this. Sources say he hand-picked several KC players that the GM and Reid essentially signed off on.
yeah, flooding the media, all the pudcasters and sports writers who post shit to see what sticks and earn their spot. The people that do that here are called morons.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of the Ryan pace hire. They practically have the same name. :eyebrows:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, flooding the media, all the pudcasters and sports writers who post shit to see what sticks and earn their spot. The people that do that here are called morons.
Just... what? lol