• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Pole Hired as Bears GM

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get excited because of some rah rah articles about Poles (or whoever our new coach turns out to be)....Been there before. Nagy/Pace sounded like a great thing and had all kinds of similar rah rah going on. The most important thing is that we made enough change to get a new lease on this thing. We needed it sorely last offseason at HC at a minimum and didn't get it and suffered this sh*tty past season because of it. If it wasn't for the Justin Fields draft pick, we would be looking at about 2 years of straight up misery/negativity.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get excited because of some rah rah articles about Poles (or whoever our new coach turns out to be)....Been there before. Nagy/Pace sounded like a great thing and had all kinds of similar rah rah going on. The most important thing is that we made enough change to get a new lease on this thing. We needed it sorely last offseason at HC at a minimum and didn't get it and suffered this sh*tty past season because of it. If it wasn't for the Justin Fields draft pick, we would be looking at about 2 years of straight up misery/negativity.
I think we all can agree on that. No one is jumping up and down. I am more just relieved that our new hire is seemingly very qualified, had a good share in helping to build what could be a dynasty, and is highly praised by many respectable minds around the league. Pace had some of these attributes as well. So, no one is doing cartwheels (I still don't hate Pace and think he did some good things). However, it certainly is not a head scratching hire and there's elements to be happy enough about.

Like any GM - true judgement won't come until year #2, at the earliest.

And yes... without Fields. This would be like the 2015 off-season all over again. Pure misery. Bleak and utter hopelessness. It makes it hurt less when you have young and talented QB that you THINK may have a bright future.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all can agree on that. No one is jumping up and down. I am more just relieved that our new hire is seemingly very qualified, had a good share in helping to build what could be a dynasty, and is highly praised by many respectable minds around the league. Pace had some of these attributes as well. So, no one is doing cartwheels (I still don't hate Pace and think he did some good things). However, it certainly is not a head scratching hire and there's elements to be happy enough about.

Like any GM - true judgement won't come until year #2, at the earliest.

And yes... without Fields. This would be like the 2015 off-season all over again. Pure misery. Bleak and utter hopelessness. It makes it hurt less when you have young and talented QB that you THINK may have a bright future.
Pace always seemed a tad on the spectrum to me. :D

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official. Will interview Caldwell, Quinn, and Eberflus for HC gig.
Anyone that's signed a contract with the Lions as HC has never went on to hold another HC position in the NFL since George Wilson. It would be AWESOME to see the Lions HC graveyard come to an end. But it looks like Jim Caldwell wont get it...

See the source image

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of the Ryan pace hire. They practically have the same name. :eyebrows:
you are correct sir. same guy three rungs away from a guy who actually selected the roster with the consultant pushing Jim Caldwell for experience (age) like last time.
I love that line about not having to change the embroidered towels. I can see Virginia liking that.
We needed a president of football operations, not another guy reporting to Ted Phillips.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moved up a notch or two this morning after watching this...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fields works out then both the coach and GM will. Get who can get the most out of Fields.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music to my ears........

There will also be an emphasis for Poles on continuing to build out the offensive line.

“It’s always going to be a point of emphasis,” Poles said. “Your starting five rarely ends up being the five at the end of the season, so not only do you need really good starters, but you need depth as well. I’ve always felt that’s the foundation. Establishing the run game, having protection, allows you to dictate the game. Especially here, having to go up to Lambeau in December, or games at home late in the season, you gotta be able to have that line to be successful, in my opinion. So it’s definitely going to be an emphasis.”

I've said it on many occasions, I'm a trenches guy. Build from the inside out. Both sides of the ball are the closest to the point of attack, respectively. When you're strong on the lines, it's the foundation of a solid, successful team.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music to my ears........

There will also be an emphasis for Poles on continuing to build out the offensive line.

“It’s always going to be a point of emphasis,” Poles said. “Your starting five rarely ends up being the five at the end of the season, so not only do you need really good starters, but you need depth as well. I’ve always felt that’s the foundation. Establishing the run game, having protection, allows you to dictate the game. Especially here, having to go up to Lambeau in December, or games at home late in the season, you gotta be able to have that line to be successful, in my opinion. So it’s definitely going to be an emphasis.”

I've said it on many occasions, I'm a trenches guy. Build from the inside out. Both sides of the ball are the closest to the point of attack, respectively. When you're strong on the lines, it's the foundation of a solid, successful team.
I agree on building the lines. However, it's odd to use the Bengals as a reasonable comparison to assert we can compete next year. While Poles is quoted as talking about building from the inside out. The Bengals don't do a good job of protecting Burrow. Burrow does tend to hold the ball, but still. He gets hit way too much.

And I mean, I suppose we "could" compete if we nail a couple of picks/signings like the Bengals did. Oh, and Fields has to play like an all-pro, as Burrow currently is. It's still a total outlier for everything to fall into place like that. At best, we trudge our way to 9-10 wins and eek out a week north. Fields is obviously the wild card in the scenario, but he clearly has work to do. Burrow was light years ahead of where Fields currently is after one year. Even with the ACL tear having occurred.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh please. I've been saying this for years. Idiots in here want to draft WRs every year. I have no recollection of you ever emphasizing the lines. I do have recollection of you de-emphasizing the importance of the draft however.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please. I've been saying this for years. Idiots in here want to draft WRs every year. I have no recollection of you ever emphasizing the lines. I do have recollection of you de-emphasizing the importance of the draft however.
Don't blame me because you have the memory of a wart. I've been stating this from the day I joined this board, and previous sports boards before that, including the long defunct ESPN. Oh, and show me one post where I said the draft wasn't important. But you won't. Because you can't. You're just hoping as usual that no one challenges your ignorance. You've forgotten that about me as well......Mr. Let's Throw the Season.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't blame me because you have the memory of a wart. I've been stating this from the day I joined this board, and previous sports boards before that, including the long defunct ESPN. Oh, and show me one post where I said the draft wasn't important. But you won't. Because you can't. You're just hoping as usual that no one challenges your ignorance. You've forgotten that about me as well......Mr. Let's Throw the Season.

..and where did not tanking lead us? How's our draft capital looking? All that winning must have given you amnesia.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and where did not tanking lead us? How's our draft capital looking? All that winning must have given you amnesia.
The Lions, the Jets, and the Jaguars all say howdy.

And a wink o' the eye from the Packers, Patriots, and Chiefs.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genius got a woody when he saw that Flores got offered money to tank.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions, the Jets, and the Jaguars all say howdy.

And a wink o' the eye from the Packers, Patriots, and Chiefs.

What is your point? Are you having problems connecting things again?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your point? Are you having problems connecting things again?
Um, not at all. I think it's the other way around. You constantly over and over point out how we should have thrown the season for a better draft slot, giving no other reason than it provides us a better pick. As in duh. In addition to the myriad number of reasons that I've previously explained why this is dumb, I just thought it would be fun to point out how a number of teams who year after year after year have excellent draft slots, yet year after year after year continue to post terrible seasons. I also pointed out how a number of teams who year after year after year have poor draft slots, yet year after year after year continue to have much success in the league. So I hope this 3rd grade level of explanation didn't go over your head.