• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Kesler for Brandon Sutter trade finally happened

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are all relatively high draft picks and usually most teams can hit on a first round pick and get at the very least, an NHL calibre player

But there are two problems with their drafting:

1) They really haven't drafted a bona-fide offensive forward - Beau Bennett is streaky and injury prone and while I like Kasperi Kapanen a lot, who knows what type of player he is?

2) Their drafting later in rounds hasn't been that great and I think that's where the real problem lies - you need 3rd-4th-5th-6th-7th round picks to be able to produce for you - that's why Chicago, Tampa and a few others are as good as they are, they have so many homegrown players from those rounds and that's how they're able to win in big games - Pittsburgh has relied too often on having to make trades for 3rd and 4th line types instead of drafting and developing their own bottom six players

But that is more of an indictment of the previous regime than the current one. They have quality picks in the later rounds that just haven't been given their shot at the NHL level, yet. I personally think the Pens have a few youngins' who would profile as 3rd and 4th line types, but under Shero/Bylsma, those players were always given the boot in favor of "experience", "grit", "veteran presence".

I think you will see at least two to three late round picks make this team out of camp. Sheary, Sundqvist and Rust are the three I'm picking. The previous regime would never give the young guys a chance. I don't see that as being a problem with JR and Johnston.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago really only has Kruger and Shaw that were taken after the 2nd round that have been good NHL'ers. Even for TB, it's pretty much only Gudas and Paquette. The problem is those guys are usually not too difficult to come across, and Shero did a poor job of finding exactly where to look. JR's doing a much better job of it.

You're forgetting about Palat. Killorn too I suppose.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're forgetting about Palat. Killorn too I suppose.
I only went back to 2009 because I knew TB had complete roster turnover since then. Killorn was still in college at the time so I missed that.

Palat slipped by, though. But that's unrealistic - the number of teams finding Ondrej Palat's in the 7th round is the same number of teams finding Tyler Johnson's in the undrafted pool. You can't really fault Shero for not finding a Tyler Johnson.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true story theres a white guy who works at the tim hortons near my place of work and he looks just like Phil Kessel ... same hair ... same body type ... but this one is slow as fuck

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benning on the cesspool referred to Sutter as a "foundational piece"

That's gotta be at least 5 million per season on a 5 year contract, right?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Sutter's agent should hold out for what the Rags just gave Stepan :D :behindsofa:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had it at 15 years $100 shmill on page 3 of this thread when I mentioned Benning called him a foundation piece :whistle:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry paisan ... your house flip profit will warm your heart tho

this one made me chuckle ... Trevor Linden calls Bonino telling him he was traded... but he had an important question before breaking the news

Bonino: "Hey Trev... Yes, I renewed at Club 16..."

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for those not in the know ... TRUTH BOMB TIME ... this is how Benning negotiations go

Player agent for player X: "how bout 2 million per for 2 years ?"
Benning: "How about 3.6 million per for 3 years?"
Player agent for player X: "Umm??? yah? ... ok? ... I guess?"