• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Kesler for Brandon Sutter trade finally happened

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perron-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Bonino-Dupuis
Rust/Sheary/Wilson-Fehr-Bennett

Or flip Fehr and Bonino. And with Sundqvist in until Fehr is ready in November. Four lines capable of scoring...now we get it.

So many punchable faces. Prout and Dubinsky have to be smiling. Like a dog because he belongs to a butcher. Or something.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many punchable faces. Prout and Dubinsky have to be smiling. Like a dog because he belongs to a butcher. Or something.

Au contrare good sir, you hath mentioned one of the most punch able faces in the league...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the proof is piling up

i cant see him trading the first rounder like you said int he other thread though ... he's not that imbecilic ... seems to be in tank mode without publicizing it

A tank doesn't really work with the Sedins still there though. I'm assuming they "can't" trade them because they're Canucks lifers. And seems kind of risky to me with the new draft lottery next year.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Au contrare good sir, you hath mentioned one of the most punch able faces in the league...

Dubi?

Probably. However Sid got a least fifty slaps towards it last year and didn't land one. :D

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A tank doesn't really work with the Sedins still there though. I'm assuming they "can't" trade them because they're Canucks lifers. And seems kind of risky to me with the new draft lottery next year.

true ... the franchise is in purgatory until the sedins go away ... Bennings maybe trying to follow the Calgary model of being shitty but not outright shittiest in the league and hoping you hit on high-ish draft picks

can they get into the top 5 picks with the sedins around ... not sure if possible ... maybe they need to bring back Torts lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true ... the franchise is in purgatory until the sedins go away ... Bennings maybe trying to follow the Calgary model of being shitty but not outright shittiest in the league and hoping you hit on high-ish draft picks

It makes me go back to last year's Canucks summer summit when a Canucks fan took the mic and proclaimed "The last thing we want to do is turn into the Calgary Flames"

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes me go back to last year's Canucks summer summit when a Canucks fan took the mic and proclaimed "The last thing we want to do is turn into the Calgary Flames"

to be fair (exported) ... who wants to be out of the playoffs for 5 years?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair (exported) ... who wants to be out of the playoffs for 5 years?

Yeah, that's true - I loved Kipper, but he was the biggest reason the Flames weren't an absolute tire fire (and unfortunately fooled management into thinking a re-build on the fly could work.

/Flames also got very lucky with some draft picks, who thought that Gaudreau and Monahan would contribute as much this early and T.J. Brodie looks to be a fine defensemen.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Wheeler @scottcwheeler
Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Markstrom, Horvat, Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett, McCann, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, retained salary on Luongo.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...Flyers fan thinking so highly of Sutter. Please, I liked Sutter but this makes the Pens even better and for less money.

Yes, because it's a Flyers fan, that opinion on said player should be discounted

And this is why I've been on the message boards less and less lately - besides the fact is it summer time, more people feel the need to make snarky comments like this

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because it's a Flyers fan, that opinion on said player should be discounted

And this is why I've been on the message boards less and less lately - besides the fact is it summer time, more people feel the need to make snarky comments like this

That's just scouty being scouty. I wouldn't take that seriously.

I still fail to see how you think this isn't a win for the Pens, though. It's true that Bonino isn't an upgrade over Sutter, but Brandon Sutter isn't exactly a world-beater. He's a luxury to have, but at 3.3 AAV, just too expensive for a cap-strapped team like the Pens. They shed salary cap space in this move, and really, the guy who is replacing Sutter is Eric Fehr. And in my humble opinion, that is a definite upgrade!

Last edited:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sutter has more foot speed than Bonino and he is a year younger, so I will give credit to Sir Bennington for sticking to the "we need to get younger and faster" mantra.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sutter was weak on the puck and a terrible possession player. He doesn't fit Johnston's system. He's fast and explosive and can finish, but he doesn't fit the possession game Johnston plays. Paying a guy like Sutter who was getting paid to not fit the system is an inefficient use of assets.

This move saved the team money, added depth (when factoring in Fehr), and I see Bonino fitting better with the Pens than did Sutter. Kind of like how Neal was a better player than Hornqvist, but Hornqvist better fit the team's needs.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gecha popcorn ready ... SBISA DOLLARS!!!! 15 years 100 shmill????

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
foundation piece???
:wtf:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry paisan ... your house flip profit will warm your heart tho

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benning saying "foundation piece" is...uhhhh...yeah. Look, I know fancy stats aren't the be all end all, but Sutters are just awful.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CLBJVw6UAAAIQnJ.jpg

NICE HAIR THOUGH!!!!

o-CONSERVATIVE-JOB-AD-570.jpg

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just scouty being scouty. I wouldn't take that seriously.

I still fail to see how you think this isn't a win for the Pens, though. It's true that Bonino isn't an upgrade over Sutter, but Brandon Sutter isn't exactly a world-beater. He's a luxury to have, but at 3.3 AAV, just too expensive for a cap-strapped team like the Pens. They shed salary cap space in this move, and really, the guy who is replacing Sutter is Eric Fehr. And in my humble opinion, that is a definite upgrade!

I liked the Eric Fehr signing btw, I'm just strictly talking about the trade itself - and as mentioned in another post, yes, certain players who might be less talented might fit better in a system like the Penguins but I feel like over the long run, trading more talented players for lesser players just because they fit your system will end up hurting them - I feel like a great coach adjusts to any type of player and gets that player to play any type of game - that's where the Penguins need a top level coach that can do things like that, not just be stuck with one system and have to trade more talented players just so you can get the right fits for the system - I don't think Mike Johnston was out of place in the series against the Rangers but there were moments during the season where I thought "He might get eaten alive by better coaches in bigger games" because of some of his habits

The Penguins still have to draft way better though so that they don't get in put in situations like this where they have to trade players because they can't pay them later on