• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumors, Rumors, Rumors........

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Pats want me for QB... This time I didn't hear it when I said it (I heard it after I asked Alexa to repeat it)
I can believe the Rosen deal. The Dolphins have no use for him with Fitzy and Tua. A fifth round pick sounds almost reasonable. I don't see BB doing anything until gets a chance to look over Smith and Lewerke.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can believe the Rosen deal. The Dolphins have no use for him with Fitzy and Tua. A fifth round pick sounds almost reasonable. I don't see BB doing anything until gets a chance to look over Smith and Lewerke.

I'm not sure Rosen is an upgrade over Hoyer?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Rosen is an upgrade over Hoyer?
You're proably right but then there's the salary and just as important, the age. Hoyer has been around for 13 years and has never been able to claim a starting spot. Rosen is younger and could possibly be a starter if things went his way. Right now BB has to do something and find $750,000 to sign Kyle Dugger. He's got two rookies waiting in the wings and if he wants to move Hoyer he can cut him and pick up $1.5M and hope that Smith or Lewerke is a diamond covered with dust. I think Rosen is waste of time. And a late round draft pick.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Pats want me for QB... This time I didn't hear it when I said it (I heard it after I asked Alexa to repeat it)

I heard that same rumor a few weeks back.

I may have read it here.
I forget who posted it, but if it's being repeated there must be a lot of truth to it.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. No more rumors from me. Just repeating what I read and told you where I read it. Go look for yourselves. Things are slow but you guys are more interested in bread.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. No more rumors from me. Just repeating what I read and told you where I read it. Go look for yourselves. Things are slow but you guys are more interested in bread.
For the record, I was mocking the Watson rumor, not the Rosen rumor. Rumors with SOME merit, whether a suitable match or the player seems expendable are reasonable. But those out of left field with zero details aren't even worth your time to paste or anyone's time to read.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got no quarrel with someone posting out of leftfield rumors. So long as you’re willing to accept that the commentary will be correspondingly silly, as well. :p

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got no quarrel with someone posting out of leftfield rumors. So long as you’re willing to accept that the commentary will be correspondingly silly, as well. :p
I could not agree more. If you waste my time you should at least allow me to waste some of your time, even if it's just for me to reclaim my wasted time by putting a smile on my face.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I traded for Rosen in the first mock off-season I did (they hadn’t signed Hoyer yet at that point though). He’s certainly more talented than Hoyer, but probably isn’t better-suited to being a veteran mentor and backup. There were questions about how important football was to him coming out...assuming he didn’t beat Stidham out, would he be willing to subjugate himself to a backup role again? Could McD even draw the talent that made him a top 10 pick out again after two years of questionable coaching and poor OL play in front of him?

I think he’d be worth the gamble if they were unsure about Stidham’s chances but everything they’ve done this off-season seems to be geared toward building a support system around him. Adding a guy who was a high pick 2 years ago into the mix now feels like it would run counter to that.

I kinda feel bad for Rosen, though...I can’t recall a player who’s been subjected to more circumstances outside his control in his first two years (admittedly he didn’t play well when given the chance last year)

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like, if they still had Brady and didn’t have Stidham, then Rosen would be a perfect acquisition to gamble on unlocking the talent in the background (like the Saints signing Jameis).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Eagles could pursue trade for Pats guard Joe Thuney

1. Patriots
New England Patriots rumors: Eagles could explore Joe Thuney trade after losing Brandon Brooks for season (report)
Updated Jun 17, 2020; Posted Jun 17, 2020
L7FHI6MWMZB3FODHJRIWBB2D6E.jpg

New England Patriots offensive guard Joe Thuney (62) stands on the sidelines, during the first half of an NFL football game against the Miami Dolphins, Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)AP

shares
By Chris Cotillo | [email protected]

The Eagles could explore a trade for Patriots guard Joe Thuney, according to a report from Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. Philadelphia recently lost Pro Bowl guard Brandon Brooks for the season due to a torn Achilles.

Thuney, 27, received the franchise tag after last season and is due to earn $14.78 million in 2020. Though the North Carolina State product was a second-team All-Pro in 2019, his high salary has led some to speculate that the Patriots could look to trade him before Week 1.

Breer thinks the Eagles could be a fit after losing Brooks.

“Would they take a big swing on someone like New England’s franchise-tagged All-Pro guard, Joe Thuney? Based on what I know … I think they’d at least explore it,” Breer wrote. “But, again, that’s probably more of a down-the-road contingency thing for now.”

Back in April, NBC Sports’ Peter King listed Thuney as one of the most likely players to be traded during the NFL draft. No deal ever materialized, but the Dolphins (who are led by former Patriots assistant Brian Flores) were rumored to have interest.

At the same time, ESPN’s Adam Schefter threw cold water on the idea of a Thuney trade, telling WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show” that he believed New England would hold on to its best offensive lineman.

“I don’t see that. I’m not sure where that’s coming from,” Schefter said about a potential Thuney trade. “First of all, when you’re dealing a player like that .... teams are going to want to have a big contract extension with him. We’re not in a time in our country where I think teams, many teams, are all that enthralled with giving out big-money extensions. There’s a lot of uncertainty surrounding football. And I’ve spoken to enough teams and enough people to know that while there are exceptions like Christian McCaffrey and Tom Brady, I think with the pandemic in full swing, teams are more hesitant than ever to sign certain players to longterm extensions. And that’s why I think you’ll see certain players stay with their teams rather than moving on.”

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Eagles could pursue trade for Pats guard Joe Thuney

1. Patriots
New England Patriots rumors: Eagles could explore Joe Thuney trade after losing Brandon Brooks for season (report)
Updated Jun 17, 2020; Posted Jun 17, 2020
L7FHI6MWMZB3FODHJRIWBB2D6E.jpg

New England Patriots offensive guard Joe Thuney (62) stands on the sidelines, during the first half of an NFL football game against the Miami Dolphins, Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)AP

shares
By Chris Cotillo | [email protected]

The Eagles could explore a trade for Patriots guard Joe Thuney, according to a report from Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. Philadelphia recently lost Pro Bowl guard Brandon Brooks for the season due to a torn Achilles.

Thuney, 27, received the franchise tag after last season and is due to earn $14.78 million in 2020. Though the North Carolina State product was a second-team All-Pro in 2019, his high salary has led some to speculate that the Patriots could look to trade him before Week 1.

Breer thinks the Eagles could be a fit after losing Brooks.

“Would they take a big swing on someone like New England’s franchise-tagged All-Pro guard, Joe Thuney? Based on what I know … I think they’d at least explore it,” Breer wrote. “But, again, that’s probably more of a down-the-road contingency thing for now.”

Back in April, NBC Sports’ Peter King listed Thuney as one of the most likely players to be traded during the NFL draft. No deal ever materialized, but the Dolphins (who are led by former Patriots assistant Brian Flores) were rumored to have interest.

At the same time, ESPN’s Adam Schefter threw cold water on the idea of a Thuney trade, telling WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show” that he believed New England would hold on to its best offensive lineman.

“I don’t see that. I’m not sure where that’s coming from,” Schefter said about a potential Thuney trade. “First of all, when you’re dealing a player like that .... teams are going to want to have a big contract extension with him. We’re not in a time in our country where I think teams, many teams, are all that enthralled with giving out big-money extensions. There’s a lot of uncertainty surrounding football. And I’ve spoken to enough teams and enough people to know that while there are exceptions like Christian McCaffrey and Tom Brady, I think with the pandemic in full swing, teams are more hesitant than ever to sign certain players to longterm extensions. And that’s why I think you’ll see certain players stay with their teams rather than moving on.”

Yeah, I'm with Shefter on that one.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles drafted both of Auburn’s starting OT’s last year and signed a UDFA IOL I think can make it in the league...at the very least I’d imagine they’ll want to see how those guys look as potential replacements before expending 2/3 of their cap space plus an asset or assets on a 1 year fill-in at arguably the least valuable position on the field.

Not a wholly illogical rumor, at least, but I’d be surprised. I’m still like at least 73.6% sure Thuney will be playing somewhere on the Pats OL this season. If there is a season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Rumors Are Starting.......................................

New England Patriots Trades: J.C. Jackson

By: Ryan Queen | July 24, 2020

The New England Patriots had one of the best secondary groups throughout the NFL last season. Lead by an All-Pro cornerback in Stephon Gilmore along with one of the league’s best free-range safeties in Devin McCourty, the Patriots secondary is their biggest strength. However, that dominance has come with a hefty price tag for New England. Collectively, New England has just under 43 million cap dollars distributed amongst players such as Patrick Chung, Stephon Gilmore, Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Adrian Phillips, Jonathan Jones, and J.C. Jackson.

Jackson carries the lowest cap hit of the group as he is entering the final year of a three-year contract which will make him a restricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2020 season. Given New England’s secondary depth in conjunction with their current cap spending and needs at other positions, it is very possible that Jackson could be moved before the start of this season.

Jackson’s Trade Value
Jackson has been one of the most underrated players in the NFL since entering the league and has largely been overshadowed by other big names on the Patriots defense. According to Pro Football Focus, since 2017 Jackson has allowed the lowest completion percentage, including postseason, among all NFL corners (49.6%). Comparably, Gilmore was ranked third under the same criteria, allowing a 50% completion rate and Los Angeles Chargers cornerback, Casey Hayward, ranked fifth allowing a 51% completion rating.

Moreover, Jackson is coming off a phenomenal 2019 season in which he dominated offenses when defending deep passes. Again, from Pro Football Focus, when being targeted over 20 yards Jackson tallied five interceptions while giving up zero touchdowns and allowed just two catches for 42 yards on 18 targets. In today’s pass-happy NFL, the 24-year-old Jackson has become a proven commodity and one which teams will pay a lot for on the open market.

Arizona Cardinals
The Cardinals secondary struggled much of last season as they gave up the second-most touchdown receptions throughout the league. Additionally, Arizona allowed 72 receptions of 20 or more yards, a number which lead the league. After electing to bolster their linebacking core this past spring by selecting Isaiah Simmons in the first round, Arizona still has a strong need at corner. The Cardinals could offer a trade package centered around their 2017 former first-round linebacker, Haason Reddick. Reddick has failed to reach his potential thus far, but the 25-year-old 6-foot-1 230-pound Temple alum would slot in nicely with New England as he brings size, range, and youth to a rebuilding Patriots linebacking core.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Jacksonville is another team on the rebuilding path and after parting ways with corners Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye, the Jaguars are in need of secondary help. Fortunately, positions where New England lacks a surplus of talented players, the Jaguars have depth at. Jacksonville could put together a trade package centered around receiver Dede Westbrook, or defensive tackle Taven Bryan.

Westbrook, a 26-year-old 6-foot 180-pound wideout, has had his highs and lows throughout his career. Westbrook’s best season came during 2018 when he tallied 66 receptions for 717 yards and five touchdowns along with adding nine rushing attempts for 98 yards. Westbrook is entering the final year of his contract and could be a good fit in this offense. Bryan, a 24-year-old 6-foot-5 291-pound former first-rounder is another option for the Patriots. He failed to reach his full potential in Jacksonville and with just two years in the league, a change of scenery could do his development wonders. Bryan would bring versatility and toughness to New England’s defensive front as well as bringing a contract with multiple years of team control left.

Main photo:

Embed from Getty Images
Posted in Editorials, New England PatriotsTagged Arizona Cardinals, Dede Westbrook, Football, Haason Reddick, J.C. Jackson, Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots, NFL, NFL Trade Rumors, Taven Bryan

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Rumors Are Starting.......................................

By: Ryan Queen | July 24, 2020

The New England Patriots had one of the best secondary groups throughout the NFL last season. Lead by an All-Pro cornerback in Stephon Gilmore along with one of the league’s best free-range safeties in Devin McCourty, the Patriots secondary is their biggest strength. However, that dominance has come with a hefty price tag for New England. Collectively, New England has just under 43 million cap dollars distributed amongst players such as Patrick Chung, Stephon Gilmore, Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Adrian Phillips, Jonathan Jones, and J.C. Jackson.

Jackson carries the lowest cap hit of the group as he is entering the final year of a three-year contract which will make him a restricted free agent at the conclusion of the 2020 season. Given New England’s secondary depth in conjunction with their current cap spending and needs at other positions, it is very possible that Jackson could be moved before the start of this season.

Don't f'in do it.

Losing too many old DB's soon......

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a rumor about Marcus Cannon opting out this year. It would free up about 9.5 million. Giving the Patriots about 18 million in cap space. Also talk about Thuney going to tackle.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 248735

I know... I know.... this is BigKen type of stuff...... So don’t boo me!

Even if it turns out not to be true, these types of headlines are definitely coming.

The one I worry about is Andrews, since Covid often causes clotting issues.....

Thuney played well at tackle, but not the level of play he has at guard.....