• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rudy Gay rumors

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a little slow on here considering the Warriors big recent layoffs, but there have been some whispers of the Grizz contacting the Warriors regarding Rudy Gay.

Apparently the big stalling point is the Grizz don't want to take back another big contract (notably R-Jeff). Chad Ford says he can't believe the Warriors are forcing them to take back a bad contract, but the reality is that we don't have the cap space or enough salaries to match up without giving away a vital piece of our team.

I just don't realistically see a 1 to 1 trade with the Grizzlies for us to acquire Gay. We might be better off going after Granger in the offseason and using Jefferson's expiring contract as a key.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of that. Of course the Grizzlies contacted the Dubs about Gay. Golden State has been contacting Memphis about him for years. The main problem is that they already traded Monta Ellis, and as you pointed out, they wouldn't have room for his contract unless they offloaded Jefferson or Biedrins. Plus, they have a cost-controlled Harrison Barnes that will blossom into the role that they would expect Rudy to play, anyway. Getting rid of Thompson might be an enticing possibility to further improve the defense, but again, he is cost-controlled and only getting better. In short, not gonna happen. The Suns, on the other hand...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of that. Of course the Grizzlies contacted the Dubs about Gay. Golden State has been contacting Memphis about him for years. The main problem is that they already traded Monta Ellis, and as you pointed out, they wouldn't have room for his contract unless they offloaded Jefferson or Biedrins. Plus, they have a cost-controlled Harrison Barnes that will blossom into the role that they would expect Rudy to play, anyway. Getting rid of Thompson might be an enticing possibility to further improve the defense, but again, he is cost-controlled and only getting better. In short, not gonna happen. The Suns, on the other hand...

FWIW, I don't see the acquisition of Gay as a problem regarding the development of Barnes. There are plenty of minutes to go around, and Barnes tends to disappear at times anyway. This lineup:

1. Steph
2. Klay
3. Gay
4. Avi
5. Bogut

With a bench of Jack, Green, Barnes, Landry, and Ezili

would be a pretty damn formidable 10 man rotation. It would also give Jenkins and Tyler time to develop. That said, the Grizz would need to be OK with either Beans or RJeff and I can see that being a dealbreaker.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I don't see the acquisition of Gay as a problem regarding the development of Barnes. There are plenty of minutes to go around, and Barnes tends to disappear at times anyway. This lineup:

1. Steph
2. Klay
3. Gay
4. Avi
5. Bogut

would be a pretty damn formidable 10 man rotation. It would also give Jenkins and Tyler time to develop. That said, the Grizz would need to be OK with either Beans or RJeff and I can see that being a dealbreaker.

Yeah unfortunately in that scenario the Grizz would have to accept a trade of Jefferson and Biedrins for Gay. I think they decline.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah unfortunately in that scenario the Grizz would have to accept a trade of Jefferson and Biedrins for Gay. I think they decline.

Yeah. Even with a pick in the low 20s (which would be a worst-case scenario for that Dubs roster/best-case for Grizz management), their needs are not being met.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always knew that dude from the movie was gay. Weird he went to Notre Dame being a catholic and all. Sinner!!!

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Steph
2. Klay
3. Gay
4. Avi
5. Bogut

I was assuming Barnes or Thompson would have to be included in any feasible trade because they won't (fingers-crossed) have a lottery pick, so they'll have to trade former lottery choices. Plus, the Jazz still get the first-rounder this year, right? More handcuffs. I like how both are developing, and even though I usually favor grabbing a proven commodity, Klay and Harrison are rapidly becoming such. It's time to sit back, draft depth and continue building chemistry. Obviously, no one is untouchable (as always), but this squad needs at least 50 games with Bogut (possible?) before shake-ups should occur.

Caveat: It would be so great to somehow be out from under the Beans and R-Jeff contracts.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love his game, but I don't know if it would really be in the team's best interests to trade for him. The guy's got a monster contract.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always knew that dude from the movie was gay. Weird he went to Notre Dame being a catholic and all. Sinner!!!

LOL, that is what I was gonna say. Something about not letting the ND fans see this!