• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogers fears it overbid, using cost-cutting measures

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can they please start with Romanuk, send him back to Europe so he can call Spengler Cup games for TSN.
Oh god please. When his voice started turning up in Leaf broadcasts last season I was begging for a return of Joe Bowen.

Also, I've seen a lot of complements for Mike Johnson but I just cannot understand why.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportsnet: "I wonder if watching the spark that Connor McDavid provided last night put some pressure on the Flames"

Save the McJesus love for an Oilers broadcast, you ninnies.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of financial hit Rogers takes if none of the Canadian teams make the playoffs. I'm assuming they have full rights for the post-season? I know TSN has some regional rights (Habs, Sens, Jets, etc...), but I'm guessing it's just for the regular season.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's telling that SN's locals for Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver are all tanking but TSN's seem okay if not fantastic.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's telling that SN's locals for Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver are all tanking but TSN's seem okay if not fantastic.

Why is it that the HD broadcast on TSN seems so much crisper and sharper than the HD broadcast on Sportsnet? Is TSN using better equipment?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that the HD broadcast on TSN seems so much crisper and sharper than the HD broadcast on Sportsnet? Is TSN using better equipment?
I honestly think it's experience - I remember even a few years ago Leaf broadcasts on SN weren't in HD yet. TSN was on that shit in like 2005. It was infuriating to watch.

Combine that with the camera technologies and angles TSN perfected over the years and I'm sure didn't share a single lick of with SN and you probably have your answer. SN never put any serious money into perfecting their game coverage until they got the rights then had to play a decade's worth of catchup in 8 months.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if theyre saying the vancouver numbers are in the 300K and under range ... thats actually not as bad as had been talked about a couple weeks back ... they were hitting 400 K in the cup run year and the average id seen is 325 to 350K so its certainly down but less than i would have guessed

the intermissions are trash ... last night just another example ... we get fed John Shannon ... why? ... because he is from these parts? He is SO out of touch with what the fans are talking about and what is going on with the team ... wtf was that depth chart for next season they flashed last night ????

they try to placate the locals by doing the in game spots and they always have Imac who is a Linden apologist (thankfully he has stopped referring to him as "Trev") and Garrrrrrry Valk who just essentially repeats everything he said earlier in the day when he does his spot on the cesspool with the oldies in the afternoon ... at least bring Private Drancer on to talk fancy stats or something

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am tired of the on-air bickering between Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean. Also, somebody needs to throw PJ Stock right through his puckwall. Also, I'm tired of watching Ron MacLean perform on-air fellatio to every former Oilers player who makes an appearance on Hometown Hockey.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the intermissions are trash ... last night just another example ... we get fed John Shannon ... why? ... because he is from these parts? He is SO out of touch with what the fans are talking about and what is going on with the team ... wtf was that depth chart for next season they flashed last night ????
They did the same thing for the Leafs last week and they left out Marner (but included Matthews) lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm tired of watching Ron MacLean perform on-air fellatio to every former Oilers player who makes an appearance on Hometown Hockey.

when they rolled though New Westminster with that dog and pony show, the hometown players they talked to and or brought on were from Burnaby lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am tired of the on-air bickering between Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean. Also, somebody needs to throw PJ Stock right through his puckwall. Also, I'm tired of watching Ron MacLean perform on-air fellatio to every former Oilers player who makes an appearance on Hometown Hockey.
Here's the thing - I'm not a huge Dreger fan, I find it inexplicable how Craig Button is still employed by TSN after all these years, I don't know who on fucking earth finds Jeff O'Neill tolerable...

But I would still take all three of those guys over literally everybody on Sportsnet except for Friedge, Jeff Marek and maybe Pang. I just don't understand how they assembled such a large group of utterly unwatchable and unlistenable personalities. Good hockey players, smarter ones, guys who were captains and quality depth guys retire every year and yet the best guys they can get to show up on their marquee broadcasts are a 4th liner from the 90s, the second-worst GM in league history and a goalie who was mediocre even for his time and have them hosted by the guy who used to show me Sloan videos at 2 AM on Much Music?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sort of an aside .. i will thank sportsnet for sponsoring that First Shift program with Hockey Canada and Bauer that i mentioned in another thread ... this past sunday was equipment fitting and pick up date for my son ... so many happy people ... I talked to another dad and he asked ... do they really have to use these Messier lifesized posters here lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sort of an aside .. i will thank sportsnet for sponsoring that First Shift program with Hockey Canada and Bauer that i mentioned in another thread ... this past sunday was equipment fitting and pick up date for my son ... so many happy people ... I talked to another dad and he asked ... do they really have to use these Messier lifesized posters here lol
Had to look that up. Good program.

And I hope it sticks around because this sport is just going to become more and more expensive as time goes on and it would really suck to start seeing kids turning away from our sport.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to look that up. Good program.

And I hope it sticks around because this sport is just going to become more and more expensive as time goes on and it would really suck to start seeing kids turning away from our sport.

Its certainly good. $199 and your kid is outfitted head to toe. And u get the six on ice sessions

Its basically a loss leader for all parties. As one coach/dad told me ... 2 years from now your son will be asking for a $400 stick so "theyll get you eventually"

The interesting thing for me is that its hosted/put on by richmond minor hockey association here. The program accepts kids from all over but richmond minor is in it because theyve witnessed some serious decreases in registration the past 5 years ... One dad/coach said its because its a heavily asian community :noidea:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, anything that helps kids (and families) handle the expense of playing hockey is a great thing.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its certainly good. $199 and your kid is outfitted head to toe. And u get the six on ice sessions

Its basically a loss leader for all parties. As one coach/dad told me ... 2 years from now your son will be asking for a $400 stick so "theyll get you eventually"

The interesting thing for me is that its hosted/put on by richmond minor hockey association here. The program accepts kids from all over but richmond minor is in it because theyve witnessed some serious decreases in registration the past 5 years ... One dad/coach said its because its a heavily asian community :noidea:
Largely minority communities are definitely seeing decreases in registration here too, and the minority population is a) growing faster than the white population, and b) spreading to towns/cities in the region where ten years ago you would rarely see a non-white face.

In short, if we can't get minority kids into hockey in the cities we're in serious shit down the road.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's give Rogers Sportsnet some credit though, at least they are putting the Preds - Canucks game on CBC tonight and airing the whack-a-puck insomnia curing spectacle that will be Coyotes - Oilers on Sportsnet.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportsnet is gonna run that draft simulator HARD for the next 30 days. Probably half their programming every day