• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogers fears it overbid, using cost-cutting measures

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess everybody at Sportsnet forgot that Johnny Hockey played his first NHL game last season against Vancouver and scored his first NHL goal in that game. Thus, tonight's goal was his 2nd career NHL goal. Also, Reto Berra is no longer the Flames backup, but Glenn Healy believes that he is. Friggin amateur hour boys, get your shit together.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess everybody at Sportsnet forgot that Johnny Hockey played his first NHL game last season against Vancouver and scored his first NHL goal in that game. Thus, tonight's goal was his 2nd career NHL goal. Also, Reto Berra is no longer the Flames backup, but Glenn Healy believes that he is. Friggin amateur hour boys, get your shit together.

12 years Dash... 12 years

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In Healy and the SN boys defense NONE of those people actually play for the Leafs.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more After Hours either? That was a great segment.

I tune in for this,and see Friedman and the 3 stooges.Does anyone else think Strombo is on speed?
Dial it down a notch George.

Strombo is knowledgeable,and does his research on most things(if any of you watched his talk show would know this),he just seems to be trying too hard.IMO

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply put, nothing got better this week.

Looks like they tried to replace the After Hours with Cassie Campbell interviewing a Sedin who was still on his skates after a tough loss for about 20 minutes. Besides the fact Campbell is probably the third last person involved with the broadcast I would want to watch interview anybody, I felt bad for the player. Get him a fucking chair.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome...

B0hZNE0CUAEel-1.jpg:medium

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do not like geroge stroumboulopoulos on CBC not one bit. so monotone, so boring. I look at him and he doest indicate hockey to me at all

Oldtom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does he get his feet through those pant legs? He must be over-compensating.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are losing me for this format, I can't stand anything they do. The people they have chosen to panel and host is garbage and it ain't changing. Rogers also fired the CBC montage guy who. IMO was the best you could have. They will probably replace him with some student.

This new HNIC is like a bad George Lucas prequel.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So during the 2nd period intermission tonight, they ran the "To The Point" feature where they ask three questions and the two guys debate the choices available. One of the questions was which injury is a bigger hit to their respective team, Patrick Kane or Mark Giordano? Good debate, only problem was the picture above the Mark Giordano caption was PK Subban.

:L

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So during the 2nd period intermission tonight, they ran the "To The Point" feature where they ask three questions and the two guys debate the choices available. One of the questions was which injury is a bigger hit to their respective team, Patrick Kane or Mark Giordano? Good debate, only problem was the picture above the Mark Giordano caption was PK Subban.

:L
In fairness they do look alike

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jebus Gary!!! :L

Broadcast deal hurting NHL as Canadian dollar declines - The Globe and Mail

Rogers Media isn’t the only struggling partner in the NHL’s $5.2-billion, 12-year Canadian broadcast deal. The league itself is hurting, too.

The contract with Rogers is paid in Canadian dollars, which sharply declined in value against the U.S. dollar after the deal was announced on Nov. 26, 2013. As a result, the NHL is taking a large hit in the contract’s first season: One NHL governor, who spoke anonymously because league officials are forbidden to publicly discuss NHL business, said the currency hit for the 2014-2015 season was pegged at about 17 per cent, which, based on the annual average rights fee of $433-million, works out to a $73.61-million loss for the league.

When Rogers and the NHL first announced the deal, the Canadian dollar was worth 94 cents U.S. On Monday, after a week-long roller-coaster ride, the Canadian dollar closed at 81.71 cents U.S., an improvement from the March low of 78.2 cents.

Other than confirming the Rogers contract is paid in Canadian dollars with no allowances for currency fluctuations, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman declined to say how much the currency issue will cost the league this season. Outgoing Rogers Media president Keith Pelley said Rogers “does not discuss contracts in detail.”

Another NHL governor said he could not confirm the claim of a 17-per-cent loss on the TV contract for this season. He said the extent of the loss should be revealed to the NHL’s governors at their annual entry-draft meeting in late June.

Over the years, the NHL and its Canadian teams routinely hedged against currency fluctuations though trading. This was done mainly to protect teams against huge increases in their biggest costs – player salaries that are paid in U.S. dollars.

But more than one league insider is concerned the NHL’s brass failed to protect itself in the Rogers deal, either by hedging or requiring that it must be paid in Canadian dollars at or near the rate that was in effect on the day it was signed. Bettman declined to say if any hedging was done to minimize losses on the Rogers deal.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any truth to the rumor that Rogers had Maggie The Monkey put down because they couldn't afford to look after her?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But more than one league insider is concerned the NHL’s brass failed to protect itself in the Rogers deal, either by hedging or requiring that it must be paid in Canadian dollars at or near the rate that was in effect on the day it was signed. Bettman declined to say if any hedging was done to minimize losses on the Rogers deal.
All that tells me is that they may or may not have hedged? I doubt Bettman wouldn't. He may be a twerp, but he isn't stupid.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any truth to the rumor that Rogers had Maggie The Monkey put down because they couldn't afford to look after her?

Maggie the monkey worked for Bell (TSN) ... since they lost broadcast rights theyre putting her to work bigtime ... monkey **** after 9pm eastern

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if thats the case, not pegging the deal to a certain currency rate is still pretty stupid
If they hedged, they shouldn't be in too bad shape. I think there'd be some problems if a Canadian television contract were valued in foreign currency; can't imagine there is much precedent for that.