• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogers fears it overbid, using cost-cutting measures

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the Rogers coverage but yeah George should not be the host for this, they could have got someone a heck of a lot better than George.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

I've watched less hockey this year. I'll admit it's because they black out the Montreal games on TSN and RDS.

And I am not a fan of the bozos doing the intermission stuff. Cannot stand Cue Ball Cox. In fact I dislike the whole sit around and bullshit format.

I'm glad I record all games I watch so I'm not subject to that horse hooey.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the good news for Rogers:

• Wednesday night games are averaging an impressive 849,000, a 21 per cent increase over last season. That puts Sportsnet 12 per cent above what TSN averaged in its final year.
  • The late Hockey Night In Canada games are averaging 815,000, up 1 per cent over last season, though still down (13 per cent) from the pre-Rogers days.
  • Regional ratings for the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers are up 4 and 19 per cent respectively.

Unfortunately for Rogers, those gains are offset by plenty of bad news:

• The early Hockey Night In Canada offering continues to disappoint, averaging a solid 1.86 million but still down 7 per cent from last year and 9 per cent since Rogers took over.
  • Sunday night's Hometown Hockey was moved from City to Sportsnet this season in hopes of boosting ratings. The opposite has occurred, with the 417,000 average down 30 per cent from its inaugural year.
  • Regional ratings are down for the Maple Leafs (9 per cent), Canucks (27 per cent) and Flames (5 per cent.)

Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and Rogers NHL operations, says he still has faith that Rogers will eventually reach its goals as long as certain teams start to perform better, namely the Leafs and Canucks.

``The real driver of all of this is team performance and interest in the regions," he said. ``The Leafs and Canucks are concerns for us, especially because they are our two biggest markets.

``The Leafs have had a bit of an upswing in the last month. People are starting to see there's some discipline ... and that there's a plan that seems to be playing out. In Vancouver, which is a very fickle market at the best of times, and that team's performance has been concerning."

Rogers still struggling to find television ratings success with its big NHL gamble

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought i posted the link somewhere but maybe i didnt ... it was floating around in November i think that the rogers sportsnet magazine sold an average of 850 copies at newstands across canada per month :wtf2:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the good news for Rogers:

• Wednesday night games are averaging an impressive 849,000, a 21 per cent increase over last season. That puts Sportsnet 12 per cent above what TSN averaged in its final year.
  • The late Hockey Night In Canada games are averaging 815,000, up 1 per cent over last season, though still down (13 per cent) from the pre-Rogers days.
  • Regional ratings for the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers are up 4 and 19 per cent respectively.

Unfortunately for Rogers, those gains are offset by plenty of bad news:

• The early Hockey Night In Canada offering continues to disappoint, averaging a solid 1.86 million but still down 7 per cent from last year and 9 per cent since Rogers took over.
  • Sunday night's Hometown Hockey was moved from City to Sportsnet this season in hopes of boosting ratings. The opposite has occurred, with the 417,000 average down 30 per cent from its inaugural year.
  • Regional ratings are down for the Maple Leafs (9 per cent), Canucks (27 per cent) and Flames (5 per cent.)

Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and Rogers NHL operations, says he still has faith that Rogers will eventually reach its goals as long as certain teams start to perform better, namely the Leafs and Canucks.

``The real driver of all of this is team performance and interest in the regions," he said. ``The Leafs and Canucks are concerns for us, especially because they are our two biggest markets.

``The Leafs have had a bit of an upswing in the last month. People are starting to see there's some discipline ... and that there's a plan that seems to be playing out. In Vancouver, which is a very fickle market at the best of times, and that team's performance has been concerning."

Rogers still struggling to find television ratings success with its big NHL gamble
27% down for the Canucks?! Fuck is that some sort of record?

Leafs are down about as much as expected, including the HNIC numbers, but worth mentioning that the weather here's been pretty good which might be having an adverse effect - for example, I was drinking on a patio in a sweater in the evening as recently as mid-November. There are definitely more people out and about than there was this time last year.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
27% down for the Canucks?! Fuck is that some sort of record?

the fan apathy is real but the radio bbm numbers are slightly higher for 2015 when you compare v Oct 1 to Dec 1 last year

you cant really discount the sportsnet effect .. it plays a role ... im not saying a large one but their broadcasts are shite and they do the dumbest shit ... case in point ... bringing on Messier during the intermission last night :L tv's turned off across BC

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
botchford:

It’s wild to see how people still cringe every time they see Messier. I get it. He was here for three years. He pulled $26 million in bank. Keenan listened to everything he said. There was his ego. There was the Linden situation.

These things tend to linger, especially when he’s stuffed down your throat with regularity.

screen-shot-2015-12-09-at-11-58-34-pm.png

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hometown Hockey last Sunday from Brantford, Ontario was nauseating as well, yeah we get it Gretzky was a great hockey player blah blah blah, JFC, how many times do we need to see Gretzky on his backyard rink and that grainy black and white footage from when he was scoring eleventy bajillion goals as a 9 year old?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fan apathy is real but the radio bbm numbers are slightly higher for 2015 when you compare v Oct 1 to Dec 1 last year

you cant really discount the sportsnet effect .. it plays a role ... im not saying a large one but their broadcasts are shite and they do the dumbest shit ... case in point ... bringing on Messier during the intermission last night :L tv's turned off across BC
Lol. I was reading last night with the game on in the background and heard "And we have with us Mark Messier" and figured you threw up a little.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hometown Hockey last Sunday from Brantford, Ontario was nauseating as well, yeah we get it Gretzky was a great hockey player blah blah blah, JFC, how many times do we need to see Gretzky on his backyard rink and that grainy black and white footage from when he was scoring eleventy bajillion goals as a 9 year old?
:D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say August 9th, 1988 was one of the greatest days in hockey history.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't forget to turn down your TV's and turn up your radio to listen to the Canucks game synced with your TV. #Canuckson1040

— TSN Radio Vancouver (@TSN1040) December 14, 2015

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3