• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Rockets offer 4 firsts for Butler?

Should the T-Wolves accept the Rockets offer of 4 1st-rounders for Butler?

• Heck yeah

• Nah

• Potato salad on the great lakes.

Results are only viewable after voting.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand, I advocate the Wolves taking the best deal they can get for Butler soon and running with it, because we all know they have no choice in the matter anyway. They need to get it done and over with.

On the other hand, the Rockets have a very good chance to remain a high quality team for the next 5+ years. Especially if they add Butler, there's a very high probability that most, if not all of those 4 first rounders they'd give Minnesota in a trade would end up in the back end of the first round.

All that being said, the Timberwolves have only truly hit on 2 of their own draft picks so far since they became a franchise in 1989 - both 5th overall picks in Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love. The next closest they have for their own picks turning out well is KAT, a 1st overall who still has a lot to prove to make it on the same list as those other two guys. I guess Rubio, another lottery pick, is on the outside of that conversation as well, but he also didn't live anywhere near up to expectations and hype. So when the Wolves have consistently failed to hit on draft picks as a lottery team for over half of their franchise history, what makes anyone think they're going to be the one of the extremely lucky teams to land a gem later on in the draft?

You are right about most of this,

But despite his flaws KAT is on a better career trajectory than Kevin Love. And please compare him to the players taken in his class for reference before labeling KAT as anything but a hit.

2: D. Russell- not that good
3: Okafor- colossal bust
4: Porzingas- on KAT's level, not better, but Porzingas also has trouble staying on the court while KAT has yet to miss a game.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thibs/Butler and Wiggins/KAT are like water and vinegar. If the Wolves want to build around the latter, they need to get rid of the former; BOTH of them.

As mentioned previously, the pay-off date of many of those draft picks will be outside the Wolves window for a Wiggins/KAT based team, at least as far young-prime to prime. Plus, you're trading to bolster a conference opponent without getting anything that helps you today, basically helping to build that roadblock.

However, the real reason that no deal has been announced yet is that Houston is trying to move Knight and Chriss as salary matching pieces, and they cannot be traded until November 1st (players acquired by trade cannot be traded as part of a package deal for 2 months). This deal could be announced as soon as Thursday, but I would push for better pieces. Butler has to be in this deal IMO. Chriss is an acceptable piece as a big with upside (and due to return soon from his ankle injury), but not Brandon Knight.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said, the Timberwolves have only truly hit on 2 of their own draft picks so far since they became a franchise in 1989 - both 5th overall picks in Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love.

So what I get from this is that they need to get the 5th pick and make sure they draft someone named Kevin.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,543.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that wouldn't work.....salaries have to match and Butler makes a shit ton.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,543.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries have to match within 75%.....unless the team getting the player is under the salary cap. Houston isn't.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what I think. The Rockets aren't going to be bad enough within the next 8 years for the team to be a lottery team.

Those picks will be worthless unless you find a gem like Kawhi, Jokic or dare I say, Jimmy Butler, lol

8 years is a long long time.

Lakers in 2009 thought they'd be good for 8 more years too.

:comeatmebro:

:suds:

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually no they didn't.

Mitch and Short Buss were in 'win now' mentality

I was just trying to say that the Rockets are in that same boat. Those picks in 2021, 2023, and 2025 are gonna look pretty good in exchange for a guy who doesn't want to be anywhere near the state of Minnesota.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries have to match within 75%.....unless the team getting the player is under the salary cap. Houston isn't.

There are players involved as well, with the Rockets trying to dump two injured players as the salary match (Knight and Chriss). Chriss could be a solid throw-in to the deal, but nobody wants Knight's contract.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just trying to say that the Rockets are in that same boat. Those picks in 2021, 2023, and 2025 are gonna look pretty good in exchange for a guy who doesn't want to be anywhere near the state of Minnesota.
I don't care how you spin it - Minnesota would be flat out stupid to wait that many years for four first round draft picks and hope that over the course of the next 8 years, they would get back what they need. Even if they four first round draft picks over the next four years would be stupid. Any team out there with a basic knowledge of the NBA wants something that can help them both right now and in the near future. 8 years is ignorant

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how you spin it - Minnesota would be flat out stupid to wait that many years for four first round draft picks and hope that over the course of the next 8 years, they would get back what they need. Even if they four first round draft picks over the next four years would be stupid. Any team out there with a basic knowledge of the NBA wants something that can help them both right now and in the near future. 8 years is ignorant

Not true.

It all depends on the window.

The Wolves can't wait that long because they have Townes under contract now. They would basically be throwing in the towel on the next 5 years with him.

This would be a good return for a team looking to tear it all down and start over. Because it would help their own current draft picks be worse and give them a couple future lottery tickets when they might already be pretty good again.

The Wolves are not in that place. That is why this return should be unacceptable to them.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true.

It all depends on the window.

The Wolves can't wait that long because they have Townes under contract now. They would basically be throwing in the towel on the next 5 years with him.

This would be a good return for a team looking to tear it all down and start over. Because it would help their own current draft picks be worse and give them a couple future lottery tickets when they might already be pretty good again.

The Wolves are not in that place. That is why this return should be unacceptable to them.
Minnesota Timberwolves can do much better then 4 first round draft picks spread out over 8 years. No One will ever convince me that would be smart. If I recall, they can only trade their first round pick every other year. They got to get something back better then that - That's not a good return under any circumstances. By the trade deadline, I can guarantee you, that they will have better offers then that.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rockets could trade for a first round draft pick for next year and then package it with theirs - then Minnesota would have something, but I think if they hold out and say no to Houston, that they will get better offers

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in any proposed deal, league sources said. Thibodeau wants a maximum return on players able to help Minnesota get back to the playoffs.