• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Rockets offer 4 firsts for Butler?

Should the T-Wolves accept the Rockets offer of 4 1st-rounders for Butler?

• Heck yeah

• Nah

• Potato salad on the great lakes.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what I think. The Rockets aren't going to be bad enough within the next 8 years for the team to be a lottery team.

That's what the Nets said.

Turned out pretty well for them, didn't it?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol, you comparing the Nets to the Rockets?

At what point did the Nets have a player like Harden on their team?

When was the last time the Nets had a 50 win season? Let me answer that for you: 2002. Their first and ONLY 50 win season in the NBA

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, you comparing the Nets to the Rockets?

At what point did the Nets have a player like Harden on their team?

When was the last time the Nets had a 50 win season? Let me answer that for you: 2002. Their first and ONLY 50 win season in the NBA

No, I'm comparing an idiotic move to and idiotic move.

Who the hell is dumb enough to trade away 4 first round picks when they've seen what happened to the Nets?

I don't care if you're the Warriors. You don't trade away 4 years of picks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who the hell is dumb enough to trade away 4 first round picks when they've seen what happened to the Nets?

The Rockets are a top 3 seed in the West if healthy. They'll continue to be a top 5 seed at worst for the next four years (or two of those picks)

Who are the last four 1st round picks for the Rockets?

Sam Dekker, Clint Capella, Jeremy Lamb and Royce White. Wouldn't you trade all four of those guys for Butler?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What cracks me up about this is Butler was a late first rounder himself....

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.

Difference here is Jimmy isn't washed like KG was and even if Jimmy sat out the year in Houston with injury, the Rockets won't fall out of the playoffs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what I think. The Rockets aren't going to be bad enough within the next 8 years for the team to be a lottery team.

Those picks will be worthless unless you find a gem like Kawhi, Jokic or dare I say, Jimmy Butler, lol
Yup.

Wtf does a 2025 pick mean to a guy like Thibbs who is fighting to make it thru this Season employed?

I don't even think any players, coaches from this current roster would even still be in Minny come 2025.

Wiggins and KAT's gutless ass could walk before then.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those four 1st round picks are worth NOTHING if the Rockets are still a top team

And you'd only be making Houston stronger as they don't have to give up any key players to obtain Jimmy

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would. 4 1st rounders would be a good pickup. I think the Rockets take a step back as soon as this yr. even with Butler.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Wolves would be crazy to turn it down ... for a player that doesn't even want to be there?

You cannot trade your first round picks in consecutive years. So, it'd be 2019, 2021, 2023, 2035, or some variation.

James Harden will be 30 next year and everybody else is even older. It'd be insane to turn that down in my mind.

Would be dumb not to take it, the Rockets in 2023 or 2025 could be average/bad. Harden will be in his mid 30's and CP3 will either be done or close to done. Yeah if Butler stays he'll help but other younger teams in the West will be getting better which will make it tougher for the Rockets to make the playoffs let alone be one of the best teams in the West. And Jimmy Butler was picked 30th so it's not like you can't get stars late in the first round. Could they get a higher pick in 2019 or 2020 from someone else if they wait? Probably, but I think the overall value from the Rockets offer is better. If they pass on this trade and Butler suffers a serious injury the Wolves will get nothing for him.

Good points, but the problem is, there's no way to predict it. If the Rockets turn into a bad team and those turn into top 10 picks or better....great, they look like geniuses. But if they don't and those picks end up in the back half of the first round...then folks will be talking about how the Wolves got fleeced.

Harden turning 30, probably would still have 3-4 years left at his current level or close to it, so that's likely to put the 2019 and 2021 picks in the back half of the draft. Unless they get lucky like the Lakers and land themselves a Kuzma or Josh Hart type of player...they aren't likely to get a player who is going to make much of a difference.

They still have Capela who is young, looks to be pretty good to help Harden and as @logic said, they still have their picks every other year and can sign FA's.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Twolves wanted to stay in it i would think they could move a first round pick or two for some immediate help

thats the problem with this deal

it doesnt help them now- and with thibs situation he cant take just picks

its why i almost htought the heat trade work work- because it gives elements of both- help right now and a draft pick.

Great points. I didn't even consider the Wolves wanting to make the playoffs this year in my opposition to this trade.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short term Desperation. Butler is solid but not worth giving up your future. He aint that good. Still not enough to get Houston over the GS hump. Maybe if GS didn't get Cousins they would have had a shot

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul getting older, even now isn’t the player he was. Harden never going to win by himself, they think this is their chance to win one. If you are a fan of that team it’s hard to fault that in my opinion.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure the Wolves should take it. At least not right now, unless they just want to move on from Butler asap.

4 1st round picks sounds like a lot. But it would make a team that is already arguably the 2nd best team in the West, better. So they will likely be very late first round picks.

This offer will likely still be there closer to the trade deadline.

Imo, the Wolves have time to wait for another team to panic and make a better offer.

I agree with this.

There has to be a better offer.

Sometimes late first round picks turn into very good players. More often than not, they are minor rotation pieces or almost completely worthless.

Minnesota should hold out for better. Because Minnesota is not rebuilding. They want to win now. Hard to say what those picks could be in the future, but I know for sure the first 2 would not be close to the lottery.

Perhaps a fringe contender like Philly will make a panic move if they are underachieving a bit.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google worst trades in History of Pro Sports.

And Google Brooklyn/NJ Nets for some precedence on this kind of thing...

Maybe.

Big difference between dealing Jimmy Butler and a washed up KG and Pierce.

Also, given the Nets cap situation and roster make up at the time of the deal, it was very easy to predict a total collapse a couple years down the line. Not the case with Houston.

Because Harden, Capella and Butler very likely could still be there and playing at a high level in 2023. Perhaps 2025 also. Just not high enough probability that any one of those picks turns into a good player for me to take that offer today.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 picks in the late 20's, dispersed over a 8 year period?

Hard pass.

Yep.

Also, by the time the picks that have a legit chance to be worth something of actual value arrive, Townes will be ready to walk. He will be a FA in 2024.

Sounds like a long time, but Minnesota needs to trade for players that can help them win. Because they aren't likely to sign them.

Can't let Butler go for a bunch of future picks that might not ever have significant value, and almost certainly not within the Wolves build window of the next 4-5 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Nets move was idiotic. They were delusional to think it gave them a shot to be a legit contender. KG was 37 and Pierce 36 at the time of the deal. And the rest of the roster had good, not great players like Joe Johnson and Deron Williams who were showing obvious signs of decline.

Brook Lopez was the only core player on the right side of 30, and he was good, but always severely flawed as a player. That core group was almost never going to be a playoff team by the time the Celtics started getting those picks in 2016. Totally different situation.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google worst trades in History of Pro Sports.

And Google Brooklyn/NJ Nets for some precedence on this kind of thing...

Those Nets traded for the corpses of former all-stars. This is a loaded Houston team trading for yet another piece, using their own 1st rounders (practically second rounders) and matching the salary with injured players. It is WAY too early in the season to give up your best player for cripples and draft picks over the next 7 years likely in the high 20s.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand, I advocate the Wolves taking the best deal they can get for Butler soon and running with it, because we all know they have no choice in the matter anyway. They need to get it done and over with.

On the other hand, the Rockets have a very good chance to remain a high quality team for the next 5+ years. Especially if they add Butler, there's a very high probability that most, if not all of those 4 first rounders they'd give Minnesota in a trade would end up in the back end of the first round.

All that being said, the Timberwolves have only truly hit on 2 of their own draft picks so far since they became a franchise in 1989 - both 5th overall picks in Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love. The next closest they have for their own picks turning out well is KAT, a 1st overall who still has a lot to prove to make it on the same list as those other two guys. I guess Rubio, another lottery pick, is on the outside of that conversation as well, but he also didn't live anywhere near up to expectations and hype. So when the Wolves have consistently failed to hit on draft picks as a lottery team for over half of their franchise history, what makes anyone think they're going to be the one of the extremely lucky teams to land a gem later on in the draft?