• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Rockets offer 4 firsts for Butler?

Should the T-Wolves accept the Rockets offer of 4 1st-rounders for Butler?

• Heck yeah

• Nah

• Potato salad on the great lakes.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumor is true, the Rockets have offered 4 1st-round picks to the Timberwolves for Jimmy Butler. Should the Wolves take it? Obviously the first 1 or 2 of those picks would be mostly insignificant picks because the Rockets are good, but by the time the 3rd and 4th of those picks come the Rockets stars will be gone and/or really old...they very possibly won't be good and those picks could bring real value. All for one year of Butler, where the Wolves are probably a middle of the pack playoff team at best. Should the Wolves take this offer?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lot. I like Jimm-ah but dam

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THey won't find a better deal.

And the deal probably has been accepted but can't be official for a few more days. I read the pieces HOU wants to move haven't been there 2 months, so have to wait a couple more days.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure the Wolves should take it. At least not right now, unless they just want to move on from Butler asap.

4 1st round picks sounds like a lot. But it would make a team that is already arguably the 2nd best team in the West, better. So they will likely be very late first round picks.

This offer will likely still be there closer to the trade deadline.

Imo, the Wolves have time to wait for another team to panic and make a better offer.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google worst trades in History of Pro Sports.

And Google Brooklyn/NJ Nets for some precedence on this kind of thing...

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure the Wolves should take it. At least not right now (unless they just want to move on from Butler asap.

4 1st round picks sounds like a lot. But it would make a team that is already arguably the 2nd best team in the West, better. So they will likely be very late first round picks.

Imo, the Wolves have time to wait for another team to panic and make a better offer.

I think the Wolves would be crazy to turn it down ... for a player that doesn't even want to be there?

You cannot trade your first round picks in consecutive years. So, it'd be 2019, 2021, 2023, 2035, or some variation.

James Harden will be 30 next year and everybody else is even older. It'd be insane to turn that down in my mind.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be dumb not to take it, the Rockets in 2023 or 2025 could be average/bad. Harden will be in his mid 30's and CP3 will either be done or close to done. Yeah if Butler stays he'll help but other younger teams in the West will be getting better which will make it tougher for the Rockets to make the playoffs let alone be one of the best teams in the West. And Jimmy Butler was picked 30th so it's not like you can't get stars late in the first round. Could they get a higher pick in 2019 or 2020 from someone else if they wait? Probably, but I think the overall value from the Rockets offer is better. If they pass on this trade and Butler suffers a serious injury the Wolves will get nothing for him.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be dumb not to take it, the Rockets in 2023 or 2025 could be average/bad. Harden will be in his mid 30's and CP3 will either be done or close to done. Yeah if Butler stays he'll help but other younger teams in the West will be getting better which will make it tougher for the Rockets to make the playoffs let alone be one of the best teams in the West. And Jimmy Butler was picked 30th so it's not like you can't get stars late in the first round. Could they get a higher pick in 2019 or 2020 from someone else if they wait? Probably, but I think the overall value from the Rockets offer is better. If they pass on this trade and Butler suffers a serious injury the Wolves will get nothing for him.
I disagree. Yes, by the end harden will be old and CP3 done, but there is no guarantee that the Rockets fall off a cliff. They have their picks every other year as you noted and they can still make trades and sign free agents. The picks may be worthless. Yes, you can rarely find gems late in the draft, but it is more common to find duds early in the draft. Houston knows they aren't beating Golden State as is, there is no rush on The Wolves part to do this trade. If I were them I would wait and see if anyone is willing to part with known assets as well as picks. If not, this can always be done later. Yes, Jimmy may get hurt, but that is always a risk (and its a contract year for him, he ain't getting hurt).

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Jimmy may get hurt, but that is always a risk (and its a contract year for him, he ain't getting hurt).
Why do you think it is impossible for him to get hurt in a contract year?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think it is impossible for him to get hurt in a contract year?
Because he would lose a shit ton of money and Jimmy don't lose a shit ton of money or he would have signed with the Wolves already.:nutswing:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minny needs to take it bc they wont find a better offer. While these wont be high 1st rounders you get a chance to acquire young 1st round talent the next 7 years or so...you take it for a guy that doesnt want to be here.

For the Rockets if they were to acquire Butler, I know it was ship or bust already but if they dont beat the Warriors and win it all, it is a total failure.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure the Wolves should take it. At least not right now (unless they just want to move on from Butler asap.

The thing is, the Wolves want to make the playoffs and Butler is obviously fucking up the chemistry. I’m not so sure you can find a better offer. 1st round picks are 1st round picks and you can always trade 1st rounders and players to move up in the draft or acquire players. Ainge did it in Boston and look at that team now (obviously better picks but same principle).

The best offer I have seen is Richardson and pieces from Miami for Butler. A very good young player but it isnt like Minny is winning this year. They want to improve and make the playoffs again. Towns and Wiggins are still very young.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, the Wolves want to make the playoffs and Butler is obviously fucking up the chemistry. I’m not so sure you can find a better offer. 1st round picks are 1st round picks and you can always trade 1st rounders and players to move up in the draft or acquire players. Ainge did it in Boston and look at that team now (obviously better picks but same principle).

The best offer I have seen is Richardson and pieces from Miami for Butler. A very good young player but it isnt like Minny is winning this year. They want to improve and make the playoffs again. Towns and Wiggins are still very young.
if the Twolves wanted to stay in it i would think they could move a first round pick or two for some immediate help

thats the problem with this deal

it doesnt help them now- and with thibs situation he cant take just picks

its why i almost htought the heat trade work work- because it gives elements of both- help right now and a draft pick.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would. What is Houston’s window? About 2 yrs? Paul is getting old and butler will likely have another meltdown because Houston plays no d. I expect the backend 2 first rd picks to be somewhat high

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should absolutely not make this trade, four picks which probably will not be lottery picks is ridiculous, I can't honestly believe they would even consider this move. But it is the Wolves so they will likely counter and ask for three first round picks!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a great deal for Minnesota but the only trouble is you can't sign all thos first rounders in addition to you own because of the Cap.
I hope it doesn't happen because I dislike the Rockets.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 picks in the late 20's, dispersed over a 8 year period?

Hard pass.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 picks in the late 20's, dispersed over a 8 year period?

Hard pass.

That is exactly what I think. The Rockets aren't going to be bad enough within the next 8 years for the team to be a lottery team.

Those picks will be worthless unless you find a gem like Kawhi, Jokic or dare I say, Jimmy Butler, lol