• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rockets Giving D'antoni A Second Interview

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden would average about 56 ppg in Dantoni's system, but also give up 69 to his opponent each night.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: It was said at the time that part of the reason Dwight didn't re-sign with the Lakers was because they were keeping D'Antoni as coach.

Now the Rockets might hire him. Dwight's gotta be loving that.:pound:

In all seriousness, I think this signals that the Rockets have given up on the prospects of Howard coming back.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, I think this signals that the Rockets have given up on the prospects of Howard coming back.

You're probably right. Heck, considering how things have turned out, the Rockets may not want him back.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right. Heck, considering how things have turned out, the Rockets may not want him back.
Even if that is true - It is kind of funny because Houston knows why Howard left the Lakers and most that is most likely there way of saying "In your face Howard" because they are tired of his crap or whatever.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His biggest mistake was becoming an announcer, he gave everyone involved with the NBA a front row seat to his idiocy. I'd be surprised if he ever coached again.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni takes a lot of flack, but his offensive system in Phoenix pretty much spawned the current NBA style. Houston ain't resigning D12 if they end up hiring D'Antoni.

This is all true, but his system can only work when he has the right players in it. Nash and Amare made it look great. He did OK in NY when he ha a bunch of scrubs, but when Melo arrived it fell apart. Things were also pretty bleak in LA with Kobe.

D'Antoni's offense only works if the group is willing to move the basketball. I simply can't see Harden buying in.

Since D'Antoni is not exactly a defensive mastermind and his star player does not fit the system, he might actually be the worst possible candidate for the Rockets. Daryl Morey will lose his job within 2 years if this is the coach he chooses.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His biggest mistake was becoming an announcer, he gave everyone involved with the NBA a front row seat to his idiocy. I'd be surprised if he ever coached again.

I think Van Gundy is a very good coach. People need to realize that his antics while announcing are simply an act. TV is an entertainment business and Van Gundy understands this.

I actually had the chance to meet him at a coaches clinic a few years back. I got to sit in a room with about 20 other guys and talk basketball for 2 hours. Yes, he has an interesting sense of humor, but his knowledge of the game and ability to teach are beyond reproach. JVG would be one of the better coaches in the league if given an opportunity today (top 10).

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony of Dwight leaving LA because of him being upset with Kobe/Dantoni, only to be faced with the prospect of seeing Houston possibly pair Dantoni with Harden is quite hilarious. Dwight is so outta there if they hire D'antoni. Also, Kobe is looking pretty prophetic at the moment, because for all the crap he took for the things he said about Dwight that year, everyone is now saying those same things now, and throughout this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni's offense only works if the group is willing to move the basketball. I simply can't see Harden buying in.

Exactly. His entire offense is based on ball and player movement. When he has guys that buy into it, it's beautiful to watch. When there is a ball stopper on the team, it is an absolute mess.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Van Gundy is a very good coach. People need to realize that his antics while announcing are simply an act. TV is an entertainment business and Van Gundy understands this.

I actually had the chance to meet him at a coaches clinic a few years back. I got to sit in a room with about 20 other guys and talk basketball for 2 hours. Yes, he has an interesting sense of humor, but his knowledge of the game and ability to teach are beyond reproach. JVG would be one of the better coaches in the league if given an opportunity today (top 10).

Agree. If the Lakers hadn't hired Luke Walton, I was hoping they'd make a big push for JVG.

Last edited:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all true, but his system can only work when he has the right players in it. Nash and Amare made it look great. He did OK in NY when he ha a bunch of scrubs, but when Melo arrived it fell apart. Things were also pretty bleak in LA with Kobe.

Since D'Antoni is not exactly a defensive mastermind and his star player does not fit the system, he might actually be the worst possible candidate for the Rockets. Daryl Morey will lose his job within 2 years if this is the coach he chooses.

You pretty much described most systems. The better coaches aren't so hard-headed with their approach and can tailor their systems to better fit the personnel. D'Antoni was hard-headed in LA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they don't want him back. They obviously know what happened with the Lakers.

That's my thought too. Honestly, from what we were able to see (those stupid "Stay" banners) and from what has been said by people who were supposedly in the meeting, I don't think the Lakers had any real interest in him coming back either.

I mean, the guy was booed off the court by Lakers fans...in the playoffs. I don't remember ever seeing that happen in LA. I mean, I've seen them boo the Lakers before, but I don't ever remember seeing them boo a supposed star Lakers player off the court. Especially in the playoffs.

On the other hand, it's pretty funny that when he first signed with Houston and Lakers fans said that it would turn out exactly as it has, we were told that we were just bitter haters because he didn't stay with the Lakers.

Don't see anyone saying that now. :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think that the only reason that Mike D'antoni's system worked in Phoenix is because he had Steve Nash and Nash was simply so good, he made Mike look like a coach. When Mike became the head coach for the Lakers he said flat out that it didn't work out good in New York because he didn't have Nash. Translation: he didn't know how to take other players and create a good system that win's games. He has left every team without even trying to rebuild it and has quit because he knows if he stays long enough - he will be exposed. Just try to imagine if the Lakers had got Nash when both of them were young and could have went the entire year without injuries - But Nash was the success for D'antoni - the guy can't coach

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford would be a perfect fit for a D'Antoni system. Howard pretty much gone after this hire.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that'll be a guaranteed 120 points for the opponents each night then!

If you thought Harden is a shitty defender now, just wait til NoDefenseToni gets ahold of him.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden's 2016-17 Season is gonna be one long Orgasm playing for Trigger Mike.

Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot some more.

We don't need no stinking defense!