• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rock n Roll HOF Snubs

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, I like Cash, Campbell, Dylan and Nelson. Although the last time I heard Nelson live it sucked really bad, but the guy is old.

I think Roy Clark was the best country guitarist.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, I like Cash, Campbell, Dylan and Nelson. Although the last time I heard Nelson live it sucked really bad, but the guy is old.

I think Roy Clark was the best country guitarist.

I have a hard time ranking best guitarists. If I had to pick a best country guitarist, I'd probably go with Jerry Reed if for no other reason that he came up with his own tuning and style of finger picking that nobody could duplicate at the time.

All around instrumentalist, I'd give Clark the nod because he was all world on anything with strings.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, I like Cash, Campbell, Dylan and Nelson. Although the last time I heard Nelson live it sucked really bad.
He usually does.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time ranking best guitarists. If I had to pick a best country guitarist, I'd probably go with Jerry Reed if for no other reason that he came up with his own tuning and style of finger picking that nobody could duplicate at the time.

All around instrumentalist, I'd give Clark the nod because he was all world on anything with strings.
Campbell and Clark were both great guitarists.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Rock historians", lol. Pete's a great songwriter, I'll give him that. He can play well enough to write his songs.
Well I respect your opinion but many folks would disagree with you.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When talking about the HOF, sales and status play a factor. If it was only talent at playing your instruments, The Who would be the consensus best band of all time.

Gotta disagree with that.

I would bet if you did a "peoples poll" they'd certainly score less than Led Zep - for starters- all day (and I like The Who, don't get me wrong).

As far as complex writing goes, most of The Who's catalogue can be played effectively around a campfire by -- a kid with a broken hand; some Led Zep too, but quite a bit more challenging; and little to no Steely Dan.

As far as physical chops go, ELP, Yes, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Rush, King Crimson, UK, and at least 100 more bands that I'm just too lazy to mention, would run circles around them. The point is they're NOT the most talented band at "just playing your instruments"; not by a long shot.

Still though, I loved The Who and what they brought to the table and the influence they had.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would bet if you did a "peoples poll" they'd certainly score less than Led Zep - for starters- all day (and I like The Who, don't get me wrong).

As far as complex writing goes, most of The Who's catalogue can be played effectively around a campfire by -- a kid with a broken hand; some Led Zep too, but quite a bit more challenging; and little to no Steely Dan.

As far as physical chops go, ELP, Yes, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Rush, King Crimson, UK, and at least 100 more bands that I'm just too lazy to mention, would run circles around them. The point is they're NOT the most talented band at "just playing your instruments"; not by a long shot.

Still though, I loved The Who and what they brought to the table and the influence they had.
I disagree. Entwhistle is easily the best bassist ever. Moon is top 3 drummer.
But we are splitting hairs here.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Entwhistle is easily the best bassist ever. Moon is top 3 drummer.
But we are splitting hairs here.
I love me some John Entwistle, but upload_2019-5-8_9-36-49.gif

He’s easily in the discussion and on the list of best rock bass players. But “easily” the “best” not so much.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born three years after Elvis death but have all his recordings and consider him the greatest rock artist of all time. He could do gospel, ballads, country and hard rock and never miss a beat. According to many his live performances were magnetic until the final three years of his career when he was suffering from health issues. My grandparents love Sinatra and Crosby.

I agree. His stature as both a vocalist and arranger cannot be overestimated. He basically invented the form by combining those various influences he was fluent in.

I think that his "Vegas Elvis" period hurts his reputation in the minds of many.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Physical chops", aka mastery of the technical mechanics of playing the instrument, is a vastly overrated criteria for evaluating a rock musician's worth. jmo

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Physical chops", aka mastery of the technical mechanics of playing the instrument, is a vastly overrated criteria for evaluating a rock musician's worth. jmo

I don't disagree with this statement but I suppose it depends on who you're talking to.

For some people, flailing fingers without a lot of true musical substance, under the guise of --"feeling", equals mastery of the instrument For others, mastery is a shit ton of 32nd notes crammed into 8 bars that only four or five people in the universe could understand the players intention, let alone actually play it.

So yeah; some people like mastery, some people don't. Some people think Yngwie Malmsteen is a guitar genius...others....I'm sorry, what was the question here?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with this statement but I suppose it depends on who you're talking to.

For some people, flailing fingers without a lot of true musical substance, under the guise of --"feeling", equals mastery of the instrument For others, mastery is a shit ton of 32nd notes crammed into 8 bars that only four or five people in the universe could understand the players intention, let alone actually play it.

So yeah; some people like mastery, some people don't. Some people think Yngwie Malmsteen is a guitar genius...others....I'm sorry, what was the question here?

Generally agree with this. I'd say someone like Malmsteen is a guitar genius.....whose talent can't really translate to music.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's one that came to mind actually. But I'm not a musician and it gets very subjective when evaluating musicians by criteria over & above technical proficiency.

But Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis are just 2 prominent jazz examples coming from the other direction. There are thousands who are or were more technically proficient, but they're on Mt Rushmore for jazz instumentalists because of how and what they played, not how technically gifted they were.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“Flailing fingers” rarely have any feel, in my opinion. I’ll take the feel of a David Gilmour or John Frusciantesque solo over someone playing to show off their technical skill every time.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Flailing fingers” rarely have any feel, in my opinion. I’ll take the feel of a David Gilmour or John Frusciantesque solo over someone playing to show off their technical skill every time.

Taste.