• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP -- Lyle Mays

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. One of the greatest keyboardists in contemporary, cross-over jazz. A long time collaborator with Pat Metheny. This sucks.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, as much as I love PM's work, he's a bit of an "ok, boomer" in terms of the way the music industry is these days. IMO, I think he should leave his work up on youtube for all to enjoy instead of pulling it down so he can make what amounts to pennies from revenue from streams.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, as much as I love PM's work, he's a bit of an "ok, boomer" in terms of the way the music industry is these days. IMO, I think he should leave his work up on youtube for all to enjoy instead of pulling it down so he can make what amounts to pennies from revenue from streams.

Yeah...I was surprised to find a lot of their stuff had been blocked. Not sure if that's partly due to a new YT "premium member" policy, or if it's an agreement between both parties?....but just a month or so ago there weren't any problems or vids of theirs being blocked.

Weird.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lyle Mays is the first solo album by Pat Metheny Group keyboardist Lyle Mays, self-titled, and released in 1986. The album was recorded at The Power Station in New York in 1985.

Lyle Mays – piano, synthesizer, autoharp
Alejandro N. Acuña – drums
Billy Drewes – alto & soprano saxophones
Bill Frisell – guitar
Marc Johnson – acoustic bass
Nana Vasconcelos – percussion

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's completely obsessed with this and it's a real problem. I understand, but still, he's cutting his nose off to spite his face. And the whole obsession with people filming his shows on phones has gone too far as well. Honestly, I don't understand why Pat Metheny doesn't somehow sell his music exclusively on his own website so he can be totally in control. Hell, he has such a rabid following (and I'm one of them) that he could sell vinyl and CDs only.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite Lyle Mays tracks:
Highland Aire
Slink
Mirror of the Heart
August
Before You Go (man, this is the embodiment of the 80's synth sound - sublime)
Street Dreams 2 - 4
...and maybe the best is September Fifteenth if you want to attribute it to Lyle. And that solo in To The Ends of the Earth. I've listened to it hundreds and hundreds of times and still get goosebumps every time the thunder crashes to end the guitar solo.

RIP Lyle Mays - my dream was one more PMG release, which Pat said after Lyle's death probably would have happened. Now it'll never be.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this perfect music? Indescribable.