• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rick Reilly article

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Colin Kaepernick's birth mom

This is why athletes tend to not like the media.

It's none of your business if Kap chooses or doesn't choose to talk to his birth mother.

I get that Rick has his own adoptive daughter and some first hand experience in the matter but tell that to Kap man to man not write an article on it and use it for your own gain.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reilly is out of line. I was adopted & have never seriously wanted to reach out. I doubt Kap hasn't thought about it though... The one day of the year that it truly does bother me is my birthday bc I know there is someone else out there who celebrates that day too. Whether its feelings buried deep down inside that I don't want to have surface, not wanting to find out something bad about her, or just wanting to go on with the way things are without any pressure to change things, I'm not sure..

The only truly logical reason for me would to be to find out about the health background in my birth parents but that is all that would potentially compel me to do it.

Rick Reilly is an ass for writing this article. He has nominal experience in this, he has no clue how the adopted child actually feels and should mind his own business instead of saying what he thinks the right thing to do is.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Though I'm from a very healthy and happy family I can understand Kap's feelings on this.

Kap already has a loving mom and dad along with siblings. It's obvious his adoptive parents raised him just like he was their own son so I can see him having no need or desire to be in contact with his mom since their isn't some missing piece or hole he has to fill.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I could tell Kaep to do is to do what he wants. Either way, it would be ok and even if it weren't, it wouldn't be any of my business. If he decides to stay away, he shouldn't feel guilty. If he decides to see her, he shouldn't feel that that's wrong. The parents said it was ok.

BTW, I hate the term adoptive parents, you either are the parents or you're not. My mom's mom remarried and thus, I hate when people say adoptive father or adopted grandfather. At the very least, he was married to my grandmother when I was born. So, why wouldn't he be my grandfather. Period. I don't care that the ex-husband was the bio-father. (The bio-grandfather was married to my grandmother when my mom was born, so it wasn't a sperm donor, so I have no dislike for him. No abuse, just divorce.)

I feel bad for the bio-mother, but her reward is that her baby got to be raised by a loving family that provided for her kid in a way that she couldn't. If she could trade the feeling of loss to have him in miserable conditions, she would and should refuse. Now, she might feel that he's had the good upbringing and now wouldn't ruin that, but that's for Kaep to decide.

I'm glad that the Kaepernicks are reportedly fine with Colin to meet her, so now Colin can actually make a choice. If Colin wanted to meet her and the parents blocked or guilt him, I might feel that the parents are going too far. Insecurity is a big thing, so I could understand if they didn't want it, but both the parents and the bio-mother should respect Colin's choice and it appears they have. Now, Reilly? He's irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Reilly should mind his own business. Great that his adopted daughter has a relationship with her birth mother. But that doesn't mean everybody in that situation has a black and white set of rules that they need to follow with regard to this situation.

Colin clearly has no interest, and judging by Russo's reaction to Reilly asking her to be a sound bite, she might not have any either.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Reilly should mind his own business. Great that his adopted daughter has a relationship with her birth mother. But that doesn't mean everybody in that situation has a black and white set of rules that they need to follow with regard to this situation.

Colin clearly has no interest, and judging by Russo's reaction to Reilly asking her to be a sound bite, she might not have any either.

I don't see why he couldn't have told his story without telling Colin to do anything. Just say both sides if he feels he needs to but in (when he shouldn't). But I'd rather him say nothing.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't see why he couldn't have told his story without telling Colin to do anything. Just say both sides if he feels he needs to but in (when he shouldn't). But I'd rather him say nothing.

Because he's being narcissist and wants to make sure everyone knows about the experience he and his adoptive daughter had so we can all think Rick is such a great guy.

I have 0 problems with his opinion but it's something that shouldn't be written and that what I take issue with since it reeks of self promotion rather then actually caring if CK and his mom talk.

If he did care than don't write it go meet with CK man to man and say "Hey, I had an adoptive daughter that had a wonderful experience meeting her birth mom and it's something you might want to consider yourself but choice is all yours." and leave it at that.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's being narcissist and wants to make sure everyone knows about the experience he and his adoptive daughter had so we can all think Rick is such a great guy.

I have 0 problems with his opinion but it's something that shouldn't be written and that what I take issue with since it reeks of self promotion rather then actually caring if CK and his mom talk.

If he did care than don't write it go meet with CK man to man and say "Hey, I had an adoptive daughter that had a wonderful experience meeting her birth mom and it's something you might want to consider yourself but choice is all yours." and leave it at that.

Yup. Good at typing words together. Also good at being a douche.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife was adopted. The only time trying to get info on birth parents came up was when were were deciding to have children. She wanted a little background on health issues. She never wanted to meet her.

On the other hand her good friend from high school was also adopted and she decided to search out her birth mother and they are now good friends.

It is up to the person whether they want to or not.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a complete dick! This is absolutely none of Rick Reilly's business. The media should not invade this part of Kaep's life. Kaep should be given his space to decide what he wants to do without media pressure. If he does reach out to his birth mother, it should be when he feels the time is right.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This article would have been more genuine had he written it months ago, but of course he just had to release it for the Super Bowl.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife was adopted. The only time trying to get info on birth parents came up was when were were deciding to have children. She wanted a little background on health issues. She never wanted to meet her.

On the other hand her good friend from high school was also adopted and she decided to search out her birth mother and they are now good friends.

It is up to the person whether they want to or not.

For some reason, I pictured your wife (just a random woman, obviously) in my mind as being adopted as an adult after she was your wife. That shouldn't have stuck me as funny, but I'm weird like that.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just felt like Rickrolling Rick Reilly.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Reilly is getting killed on this one. If there is anything that is a personal decision that no one else, even someone with similar circumstances, can possibly understand its this one.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick's birth mom

This is why athletes tend to not like the media.

It's none of your business if Kap chooses or doesn't choose to talk to his birth mother.

I get that Rick has his own adoptive daughter and some first hand experience in the matter but tell that to Kap man to man not write an article on it and use it for your own gain.

Fuck Rick Reilly. he should mind his own business.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, he shouldn't be butting into someone else's private life and implying rather passive aggressively that Colin should meet his biological mom. She had her chance when he was born and decided to give him up for adoption. Great timing that now CK is famous, she is so proud of him and wants a relationship. Sounds fishy to me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, he shouldn't be butting into someone else's private life and implying rather passive aggressively that Colin should meet his biological mom. She had her chance when he was born and decided to give him up for adoption. Great timing that now CK is famous, she is so proud of him and wants a relationship. Sounds fishy to me.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one, it was the right decision. And it was a hard decision. She didn't give him up because he was just an inconvenience, I think she genuinely knew that she couldn't provide him what he needed. She tried for half a year. She probably had people advising her not to and she tried anyway. She received pictures and stories about him for years.

The fact that she has not forced herself further and talked to the parents makes me think she's not in it for the fame of her son. Without more, that's too great of an assumption to think that. Just because there could be a motivation doesn't mean that there's one. What motivates one might not motivate another. We all want money, but we're not all going to steal or defraud.

Having said that, I'm glad Kaepernick is taking his time and making his decision. He definitely has a right to feel like he does or to question her if he does. If he thinks there's something fishy, that's a different matter. He hasn't told us one way or another. For the record, she started her pursuit to see him after high school, not after starting.