• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RG3 wasnt ready

FLSkinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not say you have to agree with his opinions, but we do not have to jump all over him neither. After a game people get emotional. That is why I did not post anything last night. Most people post their emotions and say some crazy things. What people do not understand is that everyone reads them and holds them accountable for them. Then we waist time with arguing and not being constructive with our criticisms of the game.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People called him out for being wrong. That's all I see.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The upside would have been a win.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is fans letting their emotions get the best of them. I was the same way in the middle of the game last night. Having had some time to think about this I can be a bit more objective. Like all games - the answers are not always black & white. The loss was a combination of things including poor play by RG3 & the offense in the 1st half, poor tackling & coverage by the Skins D, horrible special teams play especially in the return game & just flat out being outcoached for much of the game.

As I alluded to previously - I agree with your second point. You don't bench a QB like that (unless he was hurt or if he had a really bad game - something like 5 Ints in a half where even RG3 would want to be benched).

Time for everyone to calm down.

Look, we all saw the first half and the issues with our offense. Your not going to bench RG3 under ANY circumstances unless he is hurt. Shanahan had to let him and the offense play through it. Understanding that, we did run less zone read and more pocket passes in which our offensive line was as bad at blocking as he was about going through progressions quickly enough to get off a pass to his 3rd & 4th progression. This offensive line is not built to pass protect. They are built to zone block and rack up running yards. On top of that, we had Morris fumbles, dropped passes, poor play calling which all happened during almost every possession in the first half.

Now to the defensive side of the ball that RG3 doesn't play. You had all off season to study the Oregon offense and a few preseason games to take from. Haslett and Co. did a VERY poor job of preparation. The Eagles ran the same play with about 4 sets off of it and ripped us a new one. At what point to you not let McCoy run straight up the middle untouched. Further more, how are you going to continue to let the TE go UNTOUCHED off the line of scrimmage and run right past your linebacker's? Better yet, let's continue to rush 4 with no pressure, no slobber knock the TE off the LOS and let Vick stand back there ALL DAY before he finally picks who is wide open because at the same time Rambo is lost. Total incompetent plan by the defensive staff and it was after the final score to make it 33 pts that they finally figured some things out. Our tackling as a whole was abysmal and penalties killed us.

My sister could see Thompson had NO clue what to do on KO/PR. He goes the practice squad now and hopefully we see Minnifield back where he should have been. Moss can handle PR duties for now. Place Helu back on the KO team. Speaking of Helu, he needs more touches, period!

This was a TOTAL team loss and essentially, the coaches are responsible. They are the ones who game plan and give the players scouting reports, game plans and instruction before they go out and play. The physical mistakes are on the players however, the burden falls on the coaches imo. Shanahan got out coached by a rookie coach last night and should be ashamed. It's one game but unfortunately, we play in GB who is very soured over the opening loss to SF and we will likely go 0-2 to start the season. :gaah:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which had no shot of happening.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are right flskins fan. he is a better player when he runs. lets pray rg3 gets his accuracy back for the GB game.

What are you talking about? He had his accuracy for the most part in the 2nd half last night. I also disagree with whoever said this was due to a prevent defense. The Eagles rush was coming after him hard during the second half.

Also - whoever claims that I am "jumping down your throat" is totally wrong. I am simply telling everyone to relax & put this game behind us. RG3 had a bad half as did Morris, the Redskins defense, the special teams & all of the coaches. It happens - time to move on. Like it or not - RG3 is the future of this team (along with his good & bad points). Let's rally behind him and the team. Go Skins.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister could see Thompson had NO clue what to do on KO/PR. He goes the practice squad now and hopefully we see Minnifield back where he should have been. Moss can handle PR duties for now. Place Helu back on the KO team. Speaking of Helu, he needs more touches, period!

This was a TOTAL team loss and essentially, the coaches are responsible. They are the ones who game plan and give the players scouting reports, game plans and instruction before they go out and play. The physical mistakes are on the players however, the burden falls on the coaches imo. Shanahan got out coached by a rookie coach last night and should be ashamed. It's one game but unfortunately, we play in GB who is very soured over the opening loss to SF and we will likely go 0-2 to start the season. :gaah:

Good points especially about Helu. He had a very good game & was Portis-like with his blocking. Agree about the coaching. However - I would not throw in the towel right now regarding the Packers. Games are won on the field - as witnessed last night. Let's wait & see what happens before penciling in that 0-2 record.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. I'm sure they studied Oregon's O all off season. It could simply be the Skins don't have the personal right now to defend the QB, TE and RB all at the same time every play. Just look at the Niner-Packers game. The Pack still can't figure them out.

You limit the options by kicking the shit out of the TE (disrupts timing) off the LOS, you slobber knock the QB and bring relentless pressure while playing man-on. This gives the QB less time to go through his progression, keeps his feet happy since you just kick the shit out of him on zone read plays and while you may get burned a time or two during the game playing man, you will create tremendous pressure and turnovers. This will also lead to more 3 & outs instead of Vick standing back there all day waiting for a guy to come open. Our coaching failed last night.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
socalwizfan we made there defense look like the best defense in the NFL. McCoy and Vick are good players but cmon it was the product of an inept offense from the skins. I thought we gave them the game in the first half.

I concur with dean opinion. Cousin should have started. That was my decision all alone. But we have the Packers next which will be differcult task in it self. At least it was the fisrt game of the season.

Any def looks good when they have 4 TO's, alot of 3 and outs and a rusty QB. The Eagles clearly had all the momentum in the first half.

I have to give RG3 a thumbs up. He made the game closer in the 2nd half. But those TO's and many 3 and outs in the first half was just to much to overcome.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone be bitching about Just RGIII? was he to blame in the 1st half debacle? Some but we all knew he'd be rusty and the only way he was going to get going was by getting out there. Cousin's is coming off an injury himself and didn't play the last 2 preseason games so we don't know how effective he would of really been, but if you want to place a blame on anyone I place it on the team, they knew Griffin was gonna be rusty so they should of played there hearts out but what does the offense do? Fumble the ball, get stupid penalties and Horrible field position due Thompson who had no business on the field, I can understand Griffin's struggles in the 1st half and the next few games to come because he hasn't had a preseason and he's playing on a NEW knee, but the rest of the offense not being prepared is inexcusable. HTTR

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concur with dean opinion. Cousin should have started. That was my decision all alone. But we have the Packers next which will be differcult task in it self. At least it was the fisrt game of the season.

Any def looks good when they have 4 TO's, alot of 3 and outs and a rusty QB. The Eagles clearly had all the momentum in the first half.

I have to give RG3 a thumbs up. He made the game closer in the 2nd half. But those TO's and many 3 and outs in the first half was just to much to overcome.

If RG3 didn't play this week you'd have no chance of making the packers a game.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We still might not, he's not going to be 100%, being a Patriots fan you should know this first hand cause you experienced it with Brady when he came off an injury. It's up to everyone else to step it up till gets back into form.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of points. First, give the Eagles some credit. They have offensive weapons. Vick is always dangerous and McCoy is one of the shiftiest backs in the NFL. They brought a new offensive scheme to the NFL that confused our defense. Compound that with the fact that our D was on the field 75% of the time in the first half and they were just gassed by the end of the 1st half. Moreover, Philly made the decision that they were going to make RG3 prove he was back by taking away Morris. They stacked the line in the first half knowing that RG3 wasn't going to run. We didn't adjust to this until half. I don't think we ran one read option play all game. We probably should have called an RG3 running play or 2 in the first half just to give them something to think about.

Second, RG3 was rusty. You can't truly replicate game speed and action in practice. In practice, he is never hit, he never has to pass with bodies falling around his legs. The only way he can get used to these things is in live games. IF you postpone this to the second, third, or 4th game, you just postpone his long term effectiveness. Its part of the healing process that is more mental than physical. We saw him get more comfortable in the second half.

Finally, you don't give up on your franchise QB because he has a bad half. What kind of message are you sending him and the team? As pointed out above, Kirk was also injured and hadn't played in over 3 weeks nor taken any 1st team snaps in practice for a few weeks.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand that but like I said Cousin should have started. But lets look at it this way. Ours skins played horrible in the first half. Anytime you have 4 TO's 3 and outs and penalties well the odds are greatly against you. This is were we lost the game. As i said I have to RG3 a big thumbs up. We have the Packers next. Cut down the TO's and penalties I like our chances much better.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still might not, he's not going to be 100%, being a Patriots fan you should know this first hand cause you experienced it with Brady when he came off an injury. It's up to everyone else to step it up till gets back into form.

He played well once he settled in. However long the process of his recovery is, though, it has to be against live opponents. Every week you delay it just means the guy you have down the stretch is less ready.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not say you have to agree with his opinions, but we do not have to jump all over him neither. After a game people get emotional. That is why I did not post anything last night. Most people post their emotions and say some crazy things. What people do not understand is that everyone reads them and holds them accountable for them. Then we waist time with arguing and not being constructive with our criticisms of the game.

Don't know about anyone else, but I already pointed out that a lot of this is due to emotions - no big deal. I stated that everyone just needs to calm down & don't look back. What is wrong with that?

I also believe I provided constructive criticism by pointing out the other problem areas for the Redskins & the issues that would result if RG3 were benched (not to mention Cousins also coming of an injury which I forgot about until another poster just pointed it out).

No worries - I believe we have a pretty good discussion going here. Not sure if you posted on ESPN, but it would have been a whole different matter on that forum & it would have been a disaster. Love this place.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played well once he settled in. However long the process of his recovery is, though, it has to be against live opponents. Every week you delay it just means the guy you have down the stretch is less ready.

The important thing is that RG3 is healthy, appears to be changing his bad habits in terms of absorbing hits & shows promise for a long term career. IMO - that is the most important thing. Being typical fans - we want it all & we want it now. We have to take a step back & look at the entire picture. At least this is much better than 8 months ago when RG3's future was very much in doubt.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 was obviously rusty and if you didn't expect that then you are foolish.

RG3 looked much better in the 2nd half of the game and built up some confidence that should carry over to next week.

RG3 had to play at some point and work off the rust. It might as well be week one.

I agree Cousins probably would have won this game; however, I disagree that we should have taken RG3 out of the game. He is our future and Cousins doesn't have the ability to take us to the playoffs.

The first fumble was on Morris. The pitch to Morris in the end zone was not a great one but should have been handled. The second INT was an incredible catch by Williams.

FLSkinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about anyone else, but I already pointed out that a lot of this is due to emotions - no big deal. I stated that everyone just needs to calm down & don't look back. What is wrong with that?

I also believe I provided constructive criticism by pointing out the other problem areas for the Redskins & the issues that would result if RG3 were benched (not to mention Cousins also coming of an injury which I forgot about until another poster just pointed it out).

No worries - I believe we have a pretty good discussion going here. Not sure if you posted on ESPN, but it would have been a whole different matter on that forum & it would have been a disaster. Love this place.

SoCal, I have no problem with what you said. All I was trying to get across was that everyone started to jump at what was said. All offseason it was mostly us vs Cowboy fans on the back and forth. Now some of our people show doubts on RG3 and we rightly took offense. I did not agree with Dean by any stretch of the means, but I was happy we did not attack him like one of the Dallas fans was attacked on his board.
For the reasons you stated I did not post on the ESPN boards. I saw how bad it would get and yes I like these boards much better. I like to even have a good discussion on some of the other boards. I just wish that some people could forget about the past postings on ESPN and have good debates here.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he ready to step in and be the player he was at midseason last year?? NO.

Should he have sat out this game?? Nope. If he was healthy enough to play, he needed to play.
We lost, stuff happens.

On to next week. But he needed the playing time. We lost a game we needed to win. Just means we have to pick up one of the games every one thinks we dont have a shot in. Philly caught us sleeping, it wont happen again.