• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Restructuring contracts to get under the cap

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Romo's cap hit going forward...WOW!!! Now picture those same cap hits knowing he hasn't made it through 3 of the last 6 seasons, is in his mid thirties and is coming off two back surgeries. But we don't have a cap problem, right Jerry???

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Romo's cap hit going forward...WOW!!! Now picture those same cap hits knowing he hasn't made it through 3 of the last 6 seasons, is in his mid thirties and is coming off two back surgeries. But we don't have a cap problem, right Jerry???

That was a problem to consider BEFORE the $108 million deal. Now it's hope for the best

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a problem to consider BEFORE the $108 million deal. Now it's hope for the best

We needed to restructure Romo, but we didn't need to restructure every possible penny of his 2014 contract. I would have preferred making other moves to get closer to the cap and then converting a few million less into a bonus. Any way, my main point was that we shouldn't be in this situation in the first place and that it proves how horrible our cap problem is. Getting under the cap mathematically without a problem in no way means you don't have a problem. Every time someone wants to discuss signing a player it comes with a scenario of first restructuring other players. That clinking sound you hear is the can being kicked further down the road...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even us Romo lovers didn't see or want him to get this kind of deal. I think had SF won the SB Flaco would not have got his deal and the domino effect would not have been as drastic.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't an Anti-Romo comment, it's an anti-Jones comment...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this was interesting from NFL rumors....Expanding Caps

We saw an unexpected salary-cap growth last week, as the NFL announced it would jump from $123 million to $133 million. It appears that the cap is going to continue to increase, perhaps at a shockingly high rate, in the coming years.

"One source with knowledge of the process (but not the same source who was on the money — pun lame but intended — when providing info about the 2014 cap) tells PFT that the cap could spike to $145 million in 2015 and a whopping $160 million in 2016," wrote Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com.

It's unclear why the salary cap expanded about $7 million more than had been expected this year, but obviously this is great news for free agents, because teams will have more money to spend on them this offseason.

It also means that teams will be more likely to re-sign their own free agents in coming years, if the cap does expand to $160 million. An expanding cap also will impact how front offices and agents approach contract talks this offseason, as they look to those future years when teams will have more space.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry might not be the sharpest tool in the shed on the draft or contracts but he looks like he might have hit oil from as dry hole per say on the salary cap if Pday's rumor thread is correct. we could get out from under the Romo deal and fix our issues in a couple of years if Jerry is prudent going forward.

Just saying its not all gloom and doom on the Salary cap if it goes to 160 in 2 years .

will be interesting to see how it plays out

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly this is good when it comes to resigning our players

Smith
Bryant
Maybe Murray ( I wanna see him play 16 games first)

BAD thing

every idiot that claims to be a Dallas fan is now going to suggest signing every free agent possible next week and we have to read that bullshit

already a Byrd topic ....... gonna be 50 more next week just as stupid

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW thats not meant to be rude towards anyone suggesting a FA

Just see it happen every year .... especially if someone can figure a way we have two nickles and a dime to spend

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW thats not meant to be rude towards anyone suggesting a FA

Just see it happen every year .... especially if someone can figure a way we have two nickles and a dime to spend

Easy to spend Jerrys money Although some on here have better ideas than we hear from Valley ranch

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to spend Jerrys money Although some on here have better ideas than we hear from Valley ranch

I think some will take this wrong .....

I didn't mind being cap strapped

Means you have to draft good .... And I believe in building through the draft

I mean yeah it's good to have money to spend .... but I don't think it's a winning recipe for a solid team

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't an Anti-Romo comment, it's an anti-Jones comment...

I didn't take it as an anti Romo comment. Just saying I and some others thought he deserved and would get a 3 year 15 to 18M per deal. Never did I see him getting what he got. I know you have questioned Romo but you don't but 95% of the blame on his shoulders. I have no issues with your take on the subject.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really glad to see costa is gone. One of the worst centers the cowboys ever started. I think its a tossup between him and clay shiver.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly this is good when it comes to resigning our players

Smith
Bryant
Maybe Murray ( I wanna see him play 16 games first)

BAD thing

every idiot that claims to be a Dallas fan is now going to suggest signing every free agent possible next week and we have to read that bullshit

already a Byrd topic ....... gonna be 50 more next week just as stupid

Byrd is a young all pro at a spot we've sucked balls at for 10 years. I like that a lot better than the talk of paying a drugged up Browner, Over the Hill Bailey or moving Carr to safety SMH. Fix the problem instead of putting more tape on it. What this team really needs if it wants to get on the right track quickly is a draft like Seattle's a couple of years ago when they pulled 4-5 starting caliber players

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd is a young all pro at a spot we've sucked balls at for 10 years. I like that a lot better than the talk of paying a drugged up Browner, Over the Hill Bailey or moving Carr to safety SMH. Fix the problem instead of putting more tape on it. What this team really needs if it wants to get on the right track quickly is a draft like Seattle's a couple of years ago when they pulled 4-5 starting caliber players

Wrong and just wrong

This team currently is spending 50% of the cap on 5 players and you want to add a 6th player and make it 60% of the cap ?

which gives you 40% to pay everyone else

This with Smith's contract coming up as well as Dez and Murray

Now think about that for a minute ..... Smith will be a top paid left tackle. Dez will be paid top 5 receiver money

and you want to add what will be the highest paid safety in the league to the roster? :scratch:

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong and just wrong

This team currently is spending 50% of the cap on 5 players and you want to add a 6th player and make it 60% of the cap ?

which gives you 40% to pay everyone else

This with Smith's contract coming up as well as Dez and Murray

Now think about that for a minute ..... Smith will be a top paid left tackle. Dez will be paid top 5 receiver money

and you want to add what will be the highest paid safety in the league to the roster? :scratch:

And that is why you have to build from the draft and it has been that way since 1995 and Jerry just does not understand or thumbs his nose at it

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some will take this wrong .....

I didn't mind being cap strapped

Means you have to draft good .... And I believe in building through the draft

I mean yeah it's good to have money to spend .... but I don't think it's a winning recipe for a solid team

Exactly!

Jerry with a bigger cap number is just Jerry with a bigger cap number. He has consistently found ways to keep us in a poor cap situation by signing players who demand more money and then produce less. I don't see the increase in the salary cap helping us. If anything, it hurts us more with Jerry at the helm.

Think of it like this: 31 other teams suddenly have more money to spend to sign FA, but Dallas will still be cap strapped because Jerry hasn't figured out that this team isn't just one or two players away. He lures a player a year with a huge contract that immediately puts us in cap hell, aaagainnnnnnnn!!!

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why you have to build from the draft and it has been that way since 1995 and Jerry just does not understand or thumbs his nose at it

isn't Smith & Dez "our" draft picks? (Murray as well)
Not sure what point you were making to twist? :scratch:
That is the three guys Twist keeps talking about signing. Wouldn't that be building the team through the draft. Come to think of it. I believe Carr is the only high priced guy that came from another team right now.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I look at it like this .......

With just one more move (Cutting Austin post June 1st) we will have just enough to sign out draft class.
If we leave FA alone.

Plus currently we are 5 million under the cap for next year
IF we don't redo Ware anymore we will save 12 million cutting him next year
Orton is likely to retire if not this year next

these's your 20 million to resign Dez and Smith and maybe Murray depending on the years they have this year. Which I think that is pretty much what most want to do

Also doing it that way we would go into 2016 roughly 30-40 million under the cap.
We could very well turn this thing around in 2 years IF we leave FA alone and draft well