• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Restructuring contracts to get under the cap

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and let me give you another FA option UK

if we want to really make a move to fix safety

You have Clinton-Dix ( who I want) and Pryor in the draft. One will be there for us

which would mean no Donald for us in the 1st
However go get Melton who isn't going to command a big contract and likely takes a 1-2 year deal close to minimal to get his value back up
Sign Spencer back to a 1 year minimal contract So he can attempt to increase his value
draft a DE in the 2nd ( Kareem Matin will be there in the 2nd maybe the third as insurance for Ware)
Crawford will be back who can likely play any position on the line
Selvie will be there for insurance on Spencer
a NT for a 4-3 isn't hard to find or expensive and we have Hayden for depth
Draft Christopher Jones who will be there in the 3rd maybe the 4th ... to fight Carter and if Jones wins that battle put Carter n the strong side

and instead of paying 10 million for a safety .... we have devoted a 1st rounder to the position and improved our D-line and depth at a cost of around 3 million rather than fix one position at a cost of 10 million

That's a great plan, but in my opinion, a similar one. I do think there's a shot for us with Melton because of his success with RM. Then taking Dix or Pryor in the first is a no brainer, and look for a DT or DE in the 2nd. I think Melton will cost a little more than you think, but certainly not as much as Byrd. However, I say it's similar, because at Byrds age, you could make his contract 7 or 8 years in length, and with a huge signing bonus and low salary, not take any more of a cap hit on Byrd than you would on Melton until 2016 when the cap would be high enough that it wouldn't be an issue. Then it's Jernigan or Donald in the first, and I'd be more than happy with the rest of your plan either way.
Jerry said again that he is concerned with winning now. I'd bet either Byrd or Melton one will be a Cowboy next season

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manster, I couldn't care less if you think I'm realistic or not lol. Nets has been on here several times outlining how we could get as far as $20 million under the cap this season. The Cap is going up another $27 million over the next two years. I'm not on here saying let's keep Ware, resign Hatcher and Spencer, keep Austin and go out and sign Byrd, Melton, Jared Allen and Ben Tate and trade up in the draft for Clowney. I'm saying that paying one fucking player, that would finally solve a problem this team has had for 10 years, and freeing us up to draft front seven multiple times in the draft is a good idea IMO. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but there are only a select few on this board who are always right like you are lol

it's in the posts, what's posted....football statements made
not to worry....there is always spelling :L

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so eric like

So like PDay you mean lmao. Same story, different day...''as the wind blows''...''onward through the fog''.....''so like Erik''.....''cue the circus music''.....''so what if I can't spell cat''.......

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remain good with all stated opinions between us.
Spelling included.

the correct response would be the letter (B) onward through the fog

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remain good with all stated opinions between us.
Spelling included.

the correct response would be the letter (B) onward through the fog

Just trying to keep it simple for the stupid....you have enough trouble as it is

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd is a young all pro at a spot we've sucked balls at for 10 years. I like that a lot better than the talk of paying a drugged up Browner, Over the Hill Bailey or moving Carr to safety SMH. Fix the problem instead of putting more tape on it. What this team really needs if it wants to get on the right track quickly is a draft like Seattle's a couple of years ago when they pulled 4-5 starting caliber players

we haven't even cleared enough payroll to sign our 2014 draft choices so talking about signing a player that is going to be looking for 7-9M a year makes little or no sense

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we haven't even cleared enough payroll to sign our 2014 draft choices so talking about signing a player that is going to be looking for 7-9M a year makes little or no sense

We can clear $15-20 million if we need to, but we wouldn't. Lets split the difference on your $7-9 million premise for Byrd and say $8 million per year. We sign Byrd to an 8 year $64 million deal. We give him a $16 million signing bonus with a first year salary of $1 million. Byrd would receive $17 Million in the first year, but his cap hit would only be $3 million. We wouldn't have to move Heaven and Earth to clear $3 million in space, considering as of this morning we are $2 million under.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can clear $15-20 million if we need to, but we wouldn't. Lets split the difference on your $7-9 million premise for Byrd and say $8 million per year. We sign Byrd to an 8 year $64 million deal. We give him a $16 million signing bonus with a first year salary of $1 million. Byrd would receive $17 Million in the first year, but his cap hit would only be $3 million. We wouldn't have to move Heaven and Earth to clear $3 million in space, considering as of this morning we are $2 million under.

Never going to happen.

If you say a 64 million deal ..... atleast 30 is going to be guaranteed
2 an 8 year contract? You realize guys get hurt dont you? What if he blows a knee out 2-3 years in?

Hell FUCK NO

now 7 years.... with the last 3 voidable ... Now is likely what he will get

but then you pay him that 30 in guarantees in 4 years plus base making him more than 10 milliona year if doesnt pan out

The other side is if he does work out ... and you push that money back into the final 3 years ..... which is exactly what everyone is bitching about with Ware now

Last edited by a moderator:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His guy has already turned down a multi year deal that would have made him the highest paid S in 14 and 15 giving him 30M for the next 3 years. There's at least 7 teams interested in Byrd and at the moment Dallas is not one of the 7. Byrd is going to get more than 10 per season and it will require a very long contract to fit him into any cap.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We can just keep doing the stupid as BS we've done forever. Right Jerry? The same fucked up deals we have in place you want to give to a S. Byrd will be 35 by the time your deal is up.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can just keep doing the stupid as BS we've done forever. Right Jerry? The same fucked up deals we have in place you want to give to a S. Byrd will be 35 by the time your deal is up.

Not just that .... If the cap goes up ... and he "explodes" you can expect him to hold out for more money like Jones-Drew did.

The guy didn't show up for training camp last year.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow

This thread is a pretty big pissing match

I going to go pick up some beer but I'm not going to join in

Come on guys some folks just like to post for shock value

I don't want Byrd too expensive I prefer the Draft to fill S Pryor is my pick

JMHO other opinions may vary

Have fun guys I'm headed to the beer store and firing up the BBQ Grill

:suds:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an example of where he is off on guarantees

Almost ALWAYS 1/2 the contract is guaranteed

Romo ( call it dumb or whatever) 108 million 55 million guaranteed

Just today

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via a person who has seen the deal, that the Vikings are re-signing would-be free agent Everson Griffen to a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $20 million in guaranteed money.

1/2 of any contract give or take a few million on either side but it damn sure wont be 1/3 or less

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally i can see the Cowboys releasing Ware and Austin which would free up 12.9M on this coming season's cap which gives us approximately 14.9M to spend on FA's and our draft picks.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an example of where he is off on guarantees

Almost ALWAYS 1/2 the contract is guaranteed

Romo ( call it dumb or whatever) 108 million 55 million guaranteed

Just today

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via a person who has seen the deal, that the Vikings are re-signing would-be free agent Everson Griffen to a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $20 million in guaranteed money.

1/2 of any contract give or take a few million on either side but it damn sure wont be 1/3 or less

It's hard to believe you post about guaranteed money when you are dead wrong about what you're talking about. Yes, a team could offer Byrd a $30 million signing bonus on a $68 million deal. Or they could do as I said and give him a $16 million deal and guarantee his 4th and 5th years higher base salary. Either way, the guy gets the same fucking guaranteed money. And yes, in the end, you'd have averaged $9-10 million a year for the guy, but if the guy earns the money, it's not a bad deal. But to state the Cowboys would HAVE to clear $9 million this year to sign the guy is laughable(even though they could do just that). You keep talking about drafting Dix or Pryor in the first round, which would be great, but I don't think there's a chance in the world Jerry spends a 1st on safety after drafting Wilcox last year

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally i can see the Cowboys releasing Ware and Austin which would free up 12.9M on this coming season's cap which gives us approximately 14.9M to spend on FA's and our draft picks.

I can see both being released too. Honestly with the money they are on contract for their release makes the most sense. We have the personnel to replace Austin but any money saved by the release of Ware virtually has to go back to find DLmen. We are thinner than Iggy Pop there as it is already.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to believe you post about guaranteed money when you are dead wrong about what you're talking about. Yes, a team could offer Byrd a $30 million signing bonus on a $68 million deal. Or they could do as I said and give him a $16 million deal and guarantee his 4th and 5th years higher base salary. Either way, the guy gets the same fucking guaranteed money. And yes, in the end, you'd have averaged $9-10 million a year for the guy, but if the guy earns the money, it's not a bad deal. But to state the Cowboys would HAVE to clear $9 million this year to sign the guy is laughable(even though they could do just that). You keep talking about drafting Dix or Pryor in the first round, which would be great, but I don't think there's a chance in the world Jerry spends a 1st on safety after drafting Wilcox last year

I dont know what I'm talking about?

You with this go get Byrd shit in one topic

and Ford in another?

And read this real close You know shit about contracts or the cap

You aren't even in my league on either one

So you get your fucking head out of your own ass. You notice the only ones that buys into your bullshit is YOU?

We finally done got rid of Frye Pencil and BJJ Fort Worth Ignorance ..... and now you want to fill their role?

Bored or just want attention?