• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Restructuring contracts to get under the cap

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope the cap goes up like that, but it goes up for ALL teams, Not just the ones that are in trouble. Considering Romos cap # goes up by $16M next year and Dez is going to go up a lot and so on and so on...we are going to need a lot more room than this year just to sign our own. is it really good to be in the same situation every single year of not being able to sign any big free agents? We need to break this cycle. we better hit on more draft picks or we will get slightly worse every year. Honestly the best thing for us might have been this year staying lower and forcing us to CUT some players as compared to restructuring. But, I guess we would have just restructured even more guys...

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope the cap goes up like that, but it goes up for ALL teams, Not just the ones that are in trouble. Considering Romos cap # goes up by $16M next year and Dez is going to go up a lot and so on and so on...we are going to need a lot more room than this year just to sign our own. is it really good to be in the same situation every single year of not being able to sign any big free agents? We need to break this cycle. we better hit on more draft picks or we will get slightly worse every year. Honestly the best thing for us might have been this year staying lower and forcing us to CUT some players as compared to restructuring. But, I guess we would have just restructured even more guys...

That is why I say leave FAs alone ..... Thats a move for a team a player or two away

Which we clearly aren't

I don't expect Romo to be here in 2016

So there is another 20 million right there I hadn't thrown in

But to me it is time to give up on free agency ( for now)

build through the draft

we currently have two 2 starting receivers under rookie contract LT LG and Center as well

Letting for of Hatcher Spencer eventually Ware Austin we will have made a 4-5 years step in going from the oldest team in the league to the youngest..
And our damn O-line looked pretty good last year

So next year would be the perfect time to draft Romo's replacement Let him fight for the starting job his first year if not he gets a year to learn

2016 could look very nice for us

But once again ... Have to leave FAs alone (big names anyway) and have to draft well

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I'm a little surprised you keep bringing this up when it was known Dallas was all in for 3 if not 4 of the next season's the day jerry did the Romo signing last year. This is why I keep saying smart money does what you and others suggest here with regards to cap management, BUT that ain't jerry. certainly not where he is in his life and after the Romo signing last season

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm a little surprised you keep bringing this up when it was known Dallas was all in for 3 if not 4 of the next season's the day jerry did the Romo signing last year. This is why I keep saying smart money does what you and others suggest here with regards to cap management, BUT that ain't jerry. certainly not where he is in his life and after the Romo signing last season

I posted this before ..... I think Jerry's plan has been to stay relevant.

If this team is losing he doesn't get his face in the news as much

So he just refuses to bite the bullet .... That's Jerry .... Not only him alot of this fan base.... 1-2 players away

but yet we have so many top notch contracts we cant afford decent depth ..... and it fucking kills every year

I think we are stuck with Romo this year and next. But I think he is gone after that.
And as much as I love Witten .... I think 2016 may be his last as a Cowboy as well

Ware is borderline this year .... which is why I wouldn't redo his contract at all. Let him play at what he is getting..... if it back fires ..... cut him next year ... and you dont have much dead money at all on the books ( I think about 2.6 million)
Smith to me is a must fucking keep
No secret I dont want Dez getting top 5 money but he will
Murray let's see if he can stay healthy. That will determine his contract

I never predict future drafts.... but this one looks as good as Ive ever seen .... deep at all the meet and potato positions ..... Nice draft to start righting this ship :suds:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith and Dez will be signed. Don't see any way those don't happen unless the player wants out of Dallas. It's been about the draft for a couple of seasons now and that remains the only way with the money jerry has tied up..............which gives me some concerns. Three if not four contributors is absolutely required from this draft along with a whole bunch of player development from out 2/3 year guys. Tall order based on what we've seen the last 3/4 years.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong and just wrong

This team currently is spending 50% of the cap on 5 players and you want to add a 6th player and make it 60% of the cap ?

which gives you 40% to pay everyone else

This with Smith's contract coming up as well as Dez and Murray

Now think about that for a minute ..... Smith will be a top paid left tackle. Dez will be paid top 5 receiver money

and you want to add what will be the highest paid safety in the league to the roster? :scratch:

I see what you're saying, but I disagree on a couple of points. If a guy like Byrd, who is a great young player, and would have a huge impact on our defense is making big money, it doesn't hurt your team, just like it doesn't hurt to have TSmith and Dez making big money as great young players. What kills our cap is having Tony Romo count $45 million in 2015. Let me say that again...$45 MILLION. You see, I agree with you that Romo and Ware won't be with the team in 2016 when the cap will be $160 million. We could work the contracts of Dez, Smith and Byrd in a way that we wouldn't take a large cap hit on any of them till 2016.My thing is, if it is a crazy idea to pay a great young player like Byrd, then why would we sign great young players like TSmith and Dez to mega deals? Why not let them go too?
I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. It's just my opinion

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, but I disagree on a couple of points. If a guy like Byrd, who is a great young player, and would have a huge impact on our defense is making big money, it doesn't hurt your team, just like it doesn't hurt to have TSmith and Dez making big money as great young players. What kills our cap is having Tony Romo count $45 million in 2015. Let me say that again...$45 MILLION. You see, I agree with you that Romo and Ware won't be with the team in 2016 when the cap will be $160 million. We could work the contracts of Dez, Smith and Byrd in a way that we wouldn't take a large cap hit on any of them till 2016.My thing is, if it is a crazy idea to pay a great young player like Byrd, then why would we sign great young players like TSmith and Dez to mega deals? Why not let them go too?
I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. It's just my opinion

Problem is those guys you say are hurting the cap are already signed and on the team. We cannon afford Byrd so it's asinine to even suggest Dallas pursue him. Be fucking realistic with your ideas and we might take you more seriously.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is those guys you say are hurting the cap are already signed and on the team. We cannon afford Byrd so it's asinine to even suggest Dallas pursue him. Be fucking realistic with your ideas and we might take you more seriously.

Manster, I couldn't care less if you think I'm realistic or not lol. Nets has been on here several times outlining how we could get as far as $20 million under the cap this season. The Cap is going up another $27 million over the next two years. I'm not on here saying let's keep Ware, resign Hatcher and Spencer, keep Austin and go out and sign Byrd, Melton, Jared Allen and Ben Tate and trade up in the draft for Clowney. I'm saying that paying one fucking player, that would finally solve a problem this team has had for 10 years, and freeing us up to draft front seven multiple times in the draft is a good idea IMO. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but there are only a select few on this board who are always right like you are lol

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manster, I couldn't care less if you think I'm realistic or not lol. Nets has been on here several times outlining how we could get as far as $20 million under the cap this season. The Cap is going up another $27 million over the next two years. I'm not on here saying let's keep Ware, resign Hatcher and Spencer, keep Austin and go out and sign Byrd, Melton, Jared Allen and Ben Tate and trade up in the draft for Clowney. I'm saying that paying one fucking player, that would finally solve a problem this team has had for 10 years, and freeing us up to draft front seven multiple times in the draft is a good idea IMO. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but there are only a select few on this board who are always right like you are lol

Key word there. CAN. If it happens great would you want to head right down to Rodeo Drive and spend away. That the same bone headed way of doing business that has us where we are in the first pkafe. If you want to act like Jerry here on the board the least you can do is not comp complain about any of his decisions. You can't have it both ways.

Oh and that one fucking player. Just today Twist explained that your player would make 60% of the cap be eaten up by 6 damn players.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key word there. CAN. If it happens great would you want to head right down to Rodeo Drive and spend away. That the same bone headed way of doing business that has us where we are in the first pkafe. If you want to act like Jerry here on the board the least you can do is not comp complain about any of his decisions. You can't have it both ways.

Boneheaded is signing Romo for $108 million at this stage of his career. His injuries this past year weren't a fluke, it's what happens to guys his age that played behind a Jr college OL for several years. Boneheaded would be reworking Ware's deal to where he's on the books for $20 million into his mid 30's. Boneheaded is thinking that it's a given that Jerry can/will be able to fix the Safety position through the draft. Matt Johnson and Wilcox aren't going to be players IMO, and we traded out of the spot that Eric Reid was taken in lol. Not exactly the best track record for judging S talent. There were some pretty good Safety prospects in the draft in last years 2nd round, but we went with a true impact player like Escobar in the 2nd, and took Wilcox in the 3rd. Signing Byrd, getting Crawford back, and getting a starting DT in the first round, and the BPA period in the second is only boneheaded if you love going 8-8 and don't want to make the playoffs next year

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh and that one fucking player. Just today Twist explained that your player would make 60% of the cap be eaten up by 6 damn players.

Pull your head out of Twisted's ass, look up the numbers for 2015, and see that Romo and Ware count $45 million by themselves. That's the problem baby bird

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boneheaded is signing Romo for $108 million at this stage of his career. His injuries this past year weren't a fluke, it's what happens to guys his age that played behind a Jr college OL for several years. Boneheaded would be reworking Ware's deal to where he's on the books for $20 million into his mid 30's. Boneheaded is thinking that it's a given that Jerry can/will be able to fix the Safety position through the draft. Matt Johnson and Wilcox aren't going to be players IMO, and we traded out of the spot that Eric Reid was taken in lol. Not exactly the best track record for judging S talent. There were some pretty good Safety prospects in the draft in last years 2nd round, but we went with a true impact player like Escobar in the 2nd, and took Wilcox in the 3rd. Signing Byrd, getting Crawford back, and getting a starting DT in the first round, and the BPA period in the second is only boneheaded if you love going 8-8 and don't want to make the playoffs next year

See I was adamant Romo should and would get a 3 year 15 to16M per contract so yes I agree his contract was boneheaded. I've said numerous rimes as much as I like and want Ware on this team he needs to take a pay cut or be a cap casualty. But I'll say this one more time. THEY ARE BOTH ALREADY ON THE TEAM. W cannot afford to give a damp safety 20+M a year for what will most likely be a 5 year deal as long as we have so much money tied up on just a few players. It's the same dumb contracts Jerry always hands out. Who know maybe you are Jerry. What happens when you give all that money to Byrd and Smith, Dez, and Murray come knocking on the door with their wallets open waiting to be paid. Sure we can cut a few high contracts and them their dead money eats tomorrow's cap. What if the cap doesn't raise as much as Nets thinks it will. There's an old saying that's perfect here. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

if we were ONE PLAYER away I'd support Bryd in Dallas. We ore NOT one player away, unless we find a whole bunch of luck on the way.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pull your head out of Twisted's ass, look up the numbers for 2015, and see that Romo and Ware count $45 million by themselves. That's the problem baby bird

Look ass. The problem your crying about right now is the same problem twist beat you over the head with. Now while Ware can be cut this year to save some cap space, Romo cannot be. If he's cut it will raise our cap hit.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I was adamant Romo should and would get a 3 year 15 to16M per contract so yes I agree his contract was boneheaded. I've said numerous rimes as much as I like and want Ware on this team he needs to take a pay cut or be a cap casualty. But I'll say this one more time. THEY ARE BOTH ALREADY ON THE TEAM. W cannot afford to give a damp safety 20+M a year for what will most likely be a 5 year deal as long as we have so much money tied up on just a few players. It's the same dumb contracts Jerry always hands out. Who know maybe you are Jerry. What happens when you give all that money to Byrd and Smith, Dez, and Murray come knocking on the door with their wallets open waiting to be paid. Sure we can cut a few high contracts and them their dead money eats tomorrow's cap. What if the cap doesn't raise as much as Nets thinks it will. There's an old saying that's perfect here. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

if we were ONE PLAYER away I'd support Bryd in Dallas. We ore NOT one player away, unless we find a whole bunch of luck on the way.

Net's didn't pull the $160 million out of his butt, it's being widely reported. It looks pretty possible that Jerry had it right all along on the cap. If not for the totally bogus cap penalty the NFL laid on us, we would actually be in good shape. Ware is going to take a cut or he will be gone. When the Cowboys do finally bite the bullet on Romo, they will divide it out over two years so it doesn't murder us. When the cap goes from $123 million to $160 million in just 3 years, you have to look at things differently. If it didn't go up again for the next 7 years after that, it's still $37 million PER YEAR more. An extra $300 million or so in total cap space in a decade goes a long way

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All QBs not on a rookie contract will have more money in their contracts than they deserve. That isn't a Cowboys thing. It is an NFL thing, if you want a probowl caliber QB. Don't see the reason for crying about QB contracts. They aren't gonna get any better.

As far as Ware if the contract stays the same he will be about 5 mil. in dead money. He will never count 17 mil. against our cap in 15. So I see this point as being moot.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Net's didn't pull the $160 million out of his butt, it's being widely reported. It looks pretty possible that Jerry had it right all along on the cap. If not for the totally bogus cap penalty the NFL laid on us, we would actually be in good shape. Ware is going to take a cut or he will be gone. When the Cowboys do finally bite the bullet on Romo, they will divide it out over two years so it doesn't murder us. When the cap goes from $123 million to $160 million in just 3 years, you have to look at things differently. If it didn't go up again for the next 7 years after that, it's still $37 million PER YEAR more. An extra $300 million or so in total cap space in a decade goes a long way

It's being reported it may go that high. Now go ask those report it if they will stake their future on it. Keep counting those eggs. They're all guaranteed to hatch.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You act like anyone that is against getting Byrd is was pro all the restructuring of everyone and the contract given to Romo.

I assure you that is not the case. But it is the situation we are in.

we were 8-8 without Carr. Where did that signing get us? 8-8
and if we aren't 8-8 next year it wont be because we paid another player 10 million a year avgerage salary

It will be because we draft well and have alot of luck with our injury issues. Not because of ONE player

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and let me give you another FA option UK

if we want to really make a move to fix safety

You have Clinton-Dix ( who I want) and Pryor in the draft. One will be there for us

which would mean no Donald for us in the 1st
However go get Melton who isn't going to command a big contract and likely takes a 1-2 year deal close to minimal to get his value back up
Sign Spencer back to a 1 year minimal contract So he can attempt to increase his value
draft a DE in the 2nd ( Kareem Matin will be there in the 2nd maybe the third as insurance for Ware)
Crawford will be back who can likely play any position on the line
Selvie will be there for insurance on Spencer
a NT for a 4-3 isn't hard to find or expensive and we have Hayden for depth
Draft Christopher Jones who will be there in the 3rd maybe the 4th ... to fight Carter and if Jones wins that battle put Carter n the strong side

and instead of paying 10 million for a safety .... we have devoted a 1st rounder to the position and improved our D-line and depth at a cost of around 3 million rather than fix one position at a cost of 10 million