• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Restructuring contracts to get under the cap

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I aint even fucking with you

This Byrd thing will be over in a few weeks .......

But you watch who ends up being more off on the contract he gets

Then eat your fucking words on here in front of everyone and own up to it

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I aint even fucking with you

This Byrd thing will be over in a few weeks .......

But you watch who ends up being more off on the contract he gets

Then eat your fucking words on here in front of everyone and own up to it

I guess we are in different leagues if you can't grasp that you can guarantee part of a contract through guaranteed base and not just in signing bonus. The question was whether we could fit Byrd in this year, the answer is yes, easily. You decided to blow your horn on the cap, don't blame me if you're wrong. Acting like a bitch with the ''eat your words in front of everyone'' doesn't change a thing. No matter who likes it, you were wrong

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we are in different leagues if you can't grasp that you can guarantee part of a contract through guaranteed base and not just in signing bonus. The question was whether we could fit Byrd in this year, the answer is yes, easily. You decided to blow your horn on the cap, don't blame me if you're wrong. Acting like a bitch with the ''eat your words in front of everyone'' doesn't change a thing. No matter who likes it, you were wrong

And what part of he already turned down a contract bigger than what you are talking about don't you get?

You like quoting Pday ALL the fucking time ...... well here is one you will always see me say.

"we will agree to disagree"

When I tell someone they don't know what they are talking about. I consider them ignorant or a troll.

So which one do you consider me asshole?

Cause the only one agreeing with you on any of this nonsense..... is yourself.

On a forum of some of the smartest football posters you will find.

You are the one claiming you know more than anyone...... and all you keep doing is losing debate after debate .... And just like a BJJ clone ...... you have switched from a decent debater to picking fights for attention

I just call it as I fucking see it..... And like I said I'm done on the Byrd topic. a few weeks we will all see his contract. And you are going to look like the dumbest bitch on this board after.

And once that happens ..... dont expect a decent debate ...... and you're doing it to yourself

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what part of he already turned down a contract bigger than what you are talking about don't you get?

You like quoting Pday ALL the fucking time ...... well here is one you will always see me say.

"we will agree to disagree"

When I tell someone they don't know what they are talking about. I consider them ignorant or a troll.

So which one do you consider me asshole?

Cause the only one agreeing with you on any of this nonsense..... is yourself.

On a forum of some of the smartest football posters you will find.

You are the one claiming you know more than anyone...... and all you keep doing is losing debate after debate .... And just like a BJJ clone ...... you have switched from a decent debater to picking fights for attention

I just call it as I fucking see it..... And like I said I'm done on the Byrd topic. a few weeks we will all see his contract. And you are going to look like the dumbest bitch on this board after.

And once that happens ..... dont expect a decent debate ...... and you're doing it to yourself

Funny.............it was suppose to be just me.
Well............least he's a good speller

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny.............it was suppose to be just me.
Well............least he's a good speller

I just dont see his point

Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league correct?

2011 3 years ago

Eric Berry a six-year, $60 million contract with $34 million guaranteed.

That blows his whole theory away of getting Byrd cheaper than that

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sign Byrd to an 8 year $64 million deal. .

Now look at the post above this one ......

It would not make him the highest paid Not even close

you want him for 8 years ...... that contract is in the 90 million range with around 45 million guaranteed

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarius Byrd would be a nice piece, but he would eat up to much cap space cause he's not going to be cheap. In most cases High dollar F/A signings don't pan out. I think we should take a look at Antonio Cromartie. He's been a bit up and down but I think he could be had at a more cap friendly deal and he's a good insurance policy if Mo gets hurt again or just never lives up to his potential.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you want him for 8 years ...... that contract is in the 90 million range with around 45 million guaranteed

If you would read from the beginning, I was responding to a poster who said Byrd would command between $7-9 million. Thats where the $8 came from. Fine, lets use $10 million, 8 years $80 million. The Cowboys could give him a $24 million signing bonus. First year salary $1 million, second year $5 million. His cap hit this year would be $4 million. Considering we are $2 million under the cap right now before touching Ware or Austin, thats a piece of cake. We would guarantee his salary of $12 million in 2016 and 2017 (when the cap has gone up by $25 million). Thats $54 million GUARANTEED in the first four years. It doesn't really matter what kind of deal he signs, you've already been proven wrong. You babble about signing Melton this year. I'll bet you it takes the $4 million in space we'd need to sign Byrd this year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, I don't really think the Cowboys will sign Byrd, and I don't think they will draft Dix or Pryor, though I would. I think Jerry keeps Ware by moving around some of his money and clearing $4-5 million from this year's cap. I think he let's Hatcher walk and tries to resign Spencer to 1 year. I think they go hard for Melton. In the draft, I think they target Donald and Ealy, if they aren't there, I bet he trades down. I think he goes DT early, but he takes a WR in the 2nd round, maybe Matthews. If he doesn't sign a vet safety, I doubt he takes one in the first 3 rounds this year, he'll probably go with Wilcox and Johnson beside Church.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

more like 100M with 50-55M guaranteed

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing bonus can only be split over 5 years. So the year one cap hit would go up a little in your scenario.

IMO...This type of move is exactly what we should not be doing. Each time you structure a contract with an extremely low year 1 hit it works the same as these restructures that we are doing. Yeah, the Math works for year one, but you are pushing an unbalanced amount of the cap hit into the future years. The cap hits don't go away. So at some point we are sitting here looking at a player near the end of his contract with a huge cap hit to cut him or where the cap hit greatly exceeds teh production. This is the "Cowboy way", but it needs to change. In an ideal world you are able to evenly (or at least somewhat evenly) structure the cap hits of your contracts throughout the life of the contract.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK Cowboy,

The biggest problem with your approach to Byrd is that you are too focused on this year. Everyone here agrees that we could get under the cap enough to sign Byrd. That's not the problem. The problem is that over the next several years (because he is going to demand a long term deal) we would be putting ourselves in a worse cap situation than we already are in, even with the cap going up substantially.

It would be a stupid move for two main reasons: 1) we aren't just one player away from being a contending team; 2) we would be devoting too much of our cap space to too few players.

Personally, I would be fine with us signing absolutely zero FA, both this year and next year, and trying to build a team through the draft. By most accounts, these next two years are going to produce solid drafts prospects for the needs we have. In two years time, we could be fine with the cap and be sitting in a position to put together a strong team built mostly on draft picks.

I'm not holding my breath, mind you. I'm still quite confident in Jerry's ability to keep us in mediocrity.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK Cowboy,

The biggest problem with your approach to Byrd is that you are too focused on this year. Everyone here agrees that we could get under the cap enough to sign Byrd. That's not the problem. The problem is that over the next several years (because he is going to demand a long term deal) we would be putting ourselves in a worse cap situation than we already are in, even with the cap going up substantially.

It would be a stupid move for two main reasons: 1) we aren't just one player away from being a contending team; 2) we would be devoting too much of our cap space to too few players.

Personally, I would be fine with us signing absolutely zero FA, both this year and next year, and trying to build a team through the draft. By most accounts, these next two years are going to produce solid drafts prospects for the needs we have. In two years time, we could be fine with the cap and be sitting in a position to put together a strong team built mostly on draft picks.

I'm not holding my breath, mind you. I'm still quite confident in Jerry's ability to keep us in mediocrity.

I do agree with most of what you say. The only thing I will bring up is that Tony Romo isn't getting any younger. So if we are going to do the bolded, we better be bringing in his replacement one way or another...My hope is that we go somewhere in between the two thoughts on FA. Bring in some reasonably priced guys to help us and give us a chance to contend and augment that of course with what is hopefully a great draft for us.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with most of what you say. The only thing I will bring up is that Tony Romo isn't getting any younger. So if we are going to do the bolded, we better be bringing in his replacement one way or another...My hope is that we go somewhere in between the two thoughts on FA. Bring in some reasonably priced guys to help us and give us a chance to contend and augment that of course with what is hopefully a great draft for us.

Im of the same opinion

reasonable FAs that make mo more than 1.5 million ( plus whatever x for so many sacks ect ect)
Personally I think Melton would be in this area considering his injury.

And we have seen Jerry do this before the latest 2 were Ken Hamlin and Marc Columbo

I still say keep Ware rather than pushing the money into the future.

I mean if we do cut him ... He still doesn't save us any money until June 1st so that doesn't really help us in Free Agency
It will help in the second wave of free agency ( after the draft when teams see who they actually get and cut loose of a few vets) But the only way Ware could help us tomorrow would be to restrucute or take a pay cut within the next 24 hours. And I don't see that happening

Even with everyone adding in Austin being released.. Thats still money we cant use until after June 1st ( pretty much to sign our draft class)

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would read from the beginning, I was responding to a poster who said Byrd would command between $7-9 million. Thats where the $8 came from. Fine, lets use $10 million, 8 years $80 million. The Cowboys could give him a $24 million signing bonus. First year salary $1 million, second year $5 million. His cap hit this year would be $4 million. Considering we are $2 million under the cap right now before touching Ware or Austin, thats a piece of cake. .

This is why I said you don't understand the cap

Signing bonus is spread over 4-5 years max and it starts year 1

24 million signing bonus divided by 5 is 4.25 + 1 million base
So even under your way of thinking it would be 5.25 million at the cheapest for year one.

Now you have to hope he would accept that contract.

I think he would laugh at it. Too many other teams could easily outbid us
Plus damn man he would be 35 years old when his contract ended. How many safeties around the league do you see at 35 years old?

What he is likely to get is quite a bit more than Goldson got which is a 5 year deal.
And Goldson didn't even get a signing bonus. Where as Byrd will

Here's Goldson's contract Now add in a signing bonus with that ..... and you are looking at what Byrd will be seeking

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly, my statement about not bringing in any FA for the next two years was an over reaction to UK's idea.

I don't think we can get away without bringing in any free agents at all, but I don't think it's the way to build a team.

There are a few qbs in the league that are sitting on the bench that I wouldn't mind us getting and seeing what they are capable of. I would rather see if there isn't one or two in the draft next year. Of course, we do need one or two on the bench for us this year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly, my statement about not bringing in any FA for the next two years was an over reaction to UK's idea.

I don't think we can get away without bringing in any free agents at all, but I don't think it's the way to build a team.

There are a few qbs in the league that are sitting on the bench that I wouldn't mind us getting and seeing what they are capable of. I would rather see if there isn't one or two in the draft next year. Of course, we do need one or two on the bench for us this year.

To me, it all depends on your overall plan. I would rather bring in one guy, every other year, that could be a difference maker, than 4-5 scrubs that we overpay and would have been better off without. Mac B, Livings, Orton... if a guy can't truly make a difference, I'd just as soon see a rookie draft pick or college FA. We may bring back Ware at a huge number, there's talk of Melton or Spencer. All three guys have had injury trouble the last couple of years. I'm tired of seeing guys on the shelf. Carter, even Sean Lee, as great as he is, it's not like all the games he's missed should be a surprise. It certainly doesn't have to be Byrd, but I'd rather spend big money on just him and know what I'm getting than a bunch of guys that'll be watching the games with us by midseason

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to player evaluations with free agents, just like with the draft. While I agree I'd rather bring in one "difference maker" every other year than 4 or 5 "scrubs", the ideal situation is that those 4 or 5 guys are not "scrubs". You can often find starters at cheaper prices you just need to be better with your scouting. What if we bring in 4 guys one year and 2 of them start and 2 provide good rotational play? I think the key is you get good value for your free agents. If you pay a guy the league minimum you don't need to get much out of him to make it a good signing. If you pay a guy $5M per year he better contribute.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to player evaluations with free agents, just like with the draft. While I agree I'd rather bring in one "difference maker" every other year than 4 or 5 "scrubs", the ideal situation is that those 4 or 5 guys are not "scrubs". You can often find starters at cheaper prices you just need to be better with your scouting. What if we bring in 4 guys one year and 2 of them start and 2 provide good rotational play? I think the key is you get good value for your free agents. If you pay a guy the league minimum you don't need to get much out of him to make it a good signing. If you pay a guy $5M per year he better contribute.

I'd agree with you totally J if we had Ozzie Newsome as our GM. With Jerry's track record in FA, the odds of him signing multiple cheap starters is slim to none IMO.