• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

reid and harbaugh

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers draft pick Eric Reid suffered a partial tear to his quadriceps tendon his sophomore year at LSU, and he reaggravated it in 2012. if 49ers knew this,which they indicate they did, might they have floated this anomously before the draft to stir the pot of uncertainty so they wouldnt have to trade up to get him??? Seems like a good draft day ploy...hmmm

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
seems like the complaint is more who we picked, and not the trade up? cause didn't seem like the 3rd was an excess amount to move up that many spots?

to me, if you really like a player, go get him. more so if you have the draft ammo to do it? if we try to play too cute with value, another team will take him.

obviously, the 49ers didn't view all safeties as similar talent.

It's a mix for me, but much of it had to do with this particular draft. I didn't like trading up for a safety because of the position in general and the depth of this particular draft at that position. I also didn't like trading up in this draft specifically due to the depth. The trade value was "good," objectively speaking, but a high third rounder this year was worth more than in prior years. We could have added a safety at 31 - either Reed or Elam/Cyprien - and also added a potential starting NT, WR, OLB, or CB with the 74th pick.

If the Niners loved Reid and thought he was clearly the BPA where they picked him, fine. But I can't help but feel that they targeted a position of need and traded up to address it. And generally speaking, I'm not a fan of that approach. Especially in a very deep draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I never really liked or bought into that argument that it is stupid to trade up for a guy when there is a good chance he or someone like him will be there at your original pick. First off the NFL Draft is always unpredictable in the sense that some teams just do stuff that nobody saw coming, maybe someone trades up or back into the 1st to get him. Secondly you have no idea if other teams from 19-30 wanted Reid. Lastly, there is a difference between the guy you want and the other guys that are similar prospects.

For example, lots of people were upset that the 49ers moved up to get Anthony Davis and argued that he might have fallen to the original pick and if he didn't Brian Bulaga would have still been around and viewed as a similarly good prospect. How many of those people still feel it was a stupid move and would rather have Bulaga?

There's a lot of truth to that. I didn't love the Aldon Smith pick cause I thought we could have moved back and still gotten him. In retrospect, it's a good thing we snagged him when we did. If you love a guy, you take him. Even if it means trading up. All these guys are too much of an unknown to just settle on the next guy at the position if you don't have to.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a lot of truth to that. I didn't love the Aldon Smith pick cause I thought we could have moved back and still gotten him. In retrospect, it's a good thing we snagged him when we did. If you love a guy, you take him. Even if it means trading up. All these guys are too much of an unknown to just settle on the next guy at the position if you don't have to.

does this mean you change your opinion on Eric Reid, ie the trade up AND his selection? just asking............

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a mix for me, but much of it had to do with this particular draft. I didn't like trading up for a safety because of the position in general and the depth of this particular draft at that position. I also didn't like trading up in this draft specifically due to the depth. The trade value was "good," objectively speaking, but a high third rounder this year was worth more than in prior years. We could have added a safety at 31 - either Reed or Elam/Cyprien - and also added a potential starting NT, WR, OLB, or CB with the 74th pick.

If the Niners loved Reid and thought he was clearly the BPA where they picked him, fine. But I can't help but feel that they targeted a position of need and traded up to address it. And generally speaking, I'm not a fan of that approach. Especially in a very deep draft.

whoops, i scrolled up one and here's your answer....sort of. this doesn't match your next post about agreeing to get your prospect?

you SEEM to be saying in general.....if you like a prospect, go get him. but not when the particular class has depth? so you're 'hung up' and focused on the 3rd rounder lost?

in an ideal world, yes we want our cake and eat it too, but as you said in the 'general' case, go get him cause someone else will. we fans believed there wasn't much difference between Reid, Cyprien, Elam, etc., but we have to accept there WAS a big difference.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
does this mean you change your opinion on Eric Reid, ie the trade up AND his selection? just asking............

It means I'll trust management for now. Baalke has shown when he moves up to get someone he knows what he's doing. That move/pick is still probably my least favorite of the draft, but in general I liked this draft very much.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
whoops, i scrolled up one and here's your answer....sort of. this doesn't match your next post about agreeing to get your prospect?

you SEEM to be saying in general.....if you like a prospect, go get him. but not when the particular class has depth? so you're 'hung up' and focused on the 3rd rounder lost?

in an ideal world, yes we want our cake and eat it too, but as you said in the 'general' case, go get him cause someone else will. we fans believed there wasn't much difference between Reid, Cyprien, Elam, etc., but we have to accept there WAS a big difference.

In this draft, I didn't want to trade up unless it was for an impact player. Reid may be that guy, but I'm a bit skeptical given the position. It certainly seems that this draft was a tough one to get future picks in - all the more credit to Baalke for wrangling two between Alex Smith and the 34th pick - and one more player would have been that much harder to get on the roster. That said, there was legit talent early in the third round this year, and it bums me out we missed out on some of it. An early third-round pick should be a starter, maybe even a very good starter.

I don't love the move. But as said above, I'll trust in Baalke until there's reason not to.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So your telling me that other teams knew he was a stud too, well ahh be damn. I watched a lot of SEC games over the past couple years and Reid will be a starter here for a long time if he stays healthy, he has the whole package

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In this draft, I didn't want to trade up unless it was for an impact player. Reid may be that guy, but I'm a bit skeptical given the position. It certainly seems that this draft was a tough one to get future picks in - all the more credit to Baalke for wrangling two between Alex Smith and the 34th pick - and one more player would have been that much harder to get on the roster. That said, there was legit talent early in the third round this year, and it bums me out we missed out on some of it. An early third-round pick should be a starter, maybe even a very good starter.

I don't love the move. But as said above, I'll trust in Baalke until there's reason not to.

ok thats fine, no problem here.

ie your opinion has joined the majority of us now (trust our FO/HC), unlike draft friday where i recall you were the 2nd most adamant against Reid?

all the pre-draft stuff is fun and keeps us interested, so don't mind reading other people's draft opinions. but in the end, the 49ers have more access to info and know what traits fit us best.

yes, they can be wrong as drafting isn't an exact science, but odds are an indiviidual fan will be more wrong.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

wait....are you saying a Safety can't make an impact?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok thats fine, no problem here.

ie your opinion has joined the majority of us now (trust our FO/HC), unlike draft friday where i recall you were the 2nd most adamant against Reid?

all the pre-draft stuff is fun and keeps us interested, so don't mind reading other people's draft opinions. but in the end, the 49ers have more access to info and know what traits fit us best.

yes, they can be wrong as drafting isn't an exact science, but odds are an indiviidual fan will be more wrong.

I wouldn't say my opinion has changed much. On Thursday I said I like the player, don't like the trade up to get him. Still don't. But even on Thursday I said I'd trust Baalke's judgment.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wait....are you saying a Safety can't make an impact?

I think safety is one of the tougher positions to be a truly impact player. Reid didn't show a tremendous nose for the ball in college, and that's basically what it takes to be a game-changer at the position. We'll see, but all else being equal - as you like to say - I'd go with most other positions over safety.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think safety is one of the tougher positions to be a truly impact player. Reid didn't show a tremendous nose for the ball in college, and that's basically what it takes to be a game-changer at the position. We'll see, but all else being equal - as you like to say - I'd go with most other positions over safety.

ok.

yeah, all things being 'equal', there ARE other positions to consider first.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't say my opinion has changed much. On Thursday I said I like the player, don't like the trade up to get him. Still don't. But even on Thursday I said I'd trust Baalke's judgment.

was referring to BOTH parts - trade up AND taking Reid?

like or don't like? still trust or don't trust?

btw - your opinion is fine either way, but seems your "ranting" but accepting it at the same time?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
was referring to BOTH parts - trade up AND taking Reid?

like or don't like? still trust or don't trust?

btw - your opinion is fine either way, but seems your "ranting" but accepting it at the same time?

I don't mean to come off as ranting at all. Just expressing my opinion on the move and the pick. I know less about the guys in the draft this year than in years past. My opinions are based almost 100% on what I've read, not what I've seen. Based on that, I like Reid at one of our safety spots. I would have preferred him, of course, at 31, but he may not have fallen. Looking back on the draft as a whole, I love it. We may have added three starters on defense and 2-3 "starters" (if McDonald plays 50+% of snaps, I'd consider him a starter) on offense. I just generally don't like taking a safety so high, and all the more so because of this particular draft. It's not what I would have done, but I'm not upset at the result.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't mean to come off as ranting at all. Just expressing my opinion on the move and the pick. I know less about the guys in the draft this year than in years past. My opinions are based almost 100% on what I've read, not what I've seen. Based on that, I like Reid at one of our safety spots. I would have preferred him, of course, at 31, but he may not have fallen. Looking back on the draft as a whole, I love it. We may have added three starters on defense and 2-3 "starters" (if McDonald plays 50+% of snaps, I'd consider him a starter) on offense. I just generally don't like taking a safety so high, and all the more so because of this particular draft. It's not what I would have done, but I'm not upset at the result.

Crimson - please answer the question directly.....what is your opinion (not rant) with us trading up to 18th, giving up the 3rd, AND drafting Reid?

don't answer by breaking this into parts, and don't answer in general about Safeties. was this total move bad, below average, average, good, etc.? or was it a 10, a 6, a 4, etc.?

btw - its ok to be on both sides of a fence, but don't go back and forth within the SAME answer. :-)

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson - please answer the question directly.....what is your opinion (not rant) with us trading up to 18th, giving up the 3rd, AND drafting Reid?

don't answer by breaking this into parts, and don't answer in general about Safeties. was this total move bad, below average, average, good, etc.? or was it a 10, a 6, a 4, etc.?

btw - its ok to be on both sides of a fence, but don't go back and forth within the SAME answer. :-)

Are you serious? The ultimate question dodger is demanding for direct answers? Come on deep. You owe crimson about a dozen "direct" answers still. All he has to do is ask if this draft was sub-par and you'll stop posting in it.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think the stigma of not drafting certain positions in the first round or two, (or atleast trying not to) is just about extinct. Going back to Iupati and Davis both being drafted in the first round, should have taught us all something about how teams draft nowadays. I think its better to draft solid players whether it be at a premium position or not. When you consider the 49ers may have loss the Super Bowl because of the Saftey position, I think its fair to say that the Saftey position was a premium position of need and upgrade...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the stigma of not drafting certain positions in the first round or two, (or atleast trying not to) is just about extinct. Going back to Iupati and Davis both being drafted in the first round, should have taught us all something about how teams draft nowadays. I think its better to draft solid players whether it be at a premium position or not. When you consider the 49ers may have loss the Super Bowl because of the Saftey position, I think its fair to say that the Saftey position was a premium position of need and upgrade...

I feel the same way. In terms of need, getting a safety you value as an immediate starter exceeds the third rounder given up in the deal, especially when the niners had an excess of picks to fill limited positions.

The rookie cap may have changed the perception of devoting 1st and 2nd rounders to only premium positions.

If Reid and MacDonald are the only immediate (2013 starting) contributors from this draft, I'd be very pleased.

Tank, Lemon, and Lattimore are depth/future starter types.