• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

reid and harbaugh

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know what the big deal is...

They had a ton of picks, and we all knew they would be making moves. The front office and coaching staff were aggressive and went and got the guys they wanted. Baalke and Harbs are very good at drafting players that fit their system, not guys that are necessarly rated higher on Mel Kipers 'Big Board'...

yep, as they should.

but after months of draft 'brainwashing', we believed a bunch of safeties were close in value. obviously, they felt Reid was out front of most.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you are Miss Cleo, I don't think you can make the claim of it being a wasted pick...

just because we have a ton of picks doesn't mean we should just give them away. thats one less pick we could use, which is a waste.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just because we have a ton of picks doesn't mean we should just give them away. thats one less pick we could use, which is a waste.

They didn't waste it by giving it away. They used a pick to move up 13 spots to get the player they wanted. Its only a waste in your mind because they didn't trade a 3rd rnd to trade up for the player you wanted them to pick...

Nobody including yourself can say that Reid would have definately been there at 31...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to add to that, the front office did a great job in that trade. Baalke schooled Jones in that trade. It was a very low risk trading that far up to get the player they wanted, for what they actually gave up in the trade...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add to that, the front office did a great job in that trade. Baalke schooled Jones in that trade. It was a very low risk trading that far up to get the player they wanted, for what they actually gave up in the trade...

if u want to change your reasoning fine. but to say it didn't matter if we moved up cuss we had so many picks is far from a legit reason.

i typically like to move down and go value

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if u want to change your reasoning fine. but to say it didn't matter if we moved up cuss we had so many picks is far from a legit reason.

I'm not changing my reasoning. Nor did I say "it didn't matter"...

I just don't know why fans are upset, not because they traded up but because they traded up for Reid...

These are the same fans who were scratching their heads and questioning the front office when they drafted players like Kap, Aldon and Bowman just to name a few...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't waste it by giving it away. They used a pick to move up 13 spots to get the player they wanted. Its only a waste in your mind because they didn't trade a 3rd rnd to trade up for the player you wanted them to pick...

Nobody including yourself can say that Reid would have definately been there at 31...

I agree with this

The bottom line is that the niners got the guy they wanted. They had a luxury of draft resources and made aggressive moves to get their targets.

I like Reid's intelligence. He's already catching onto the 49er playbook terminology. How often last year did we curse the defense for making stupid penalties?

High intelligent, high character guys aren't mistake free but if given the choice..

Regardless of how you rank them, the niners had the bullets to get Vaccarro but to me found value with Reid.

The cowboys were also rumored to be interested in Reid. If the niners didn't offer a trade, some had him going to Dallas staying with the 18th.

If the 49ers stand pat, there's no guarantee another team doesnt trade up and take Reid ahead of the 31st.

So many different possible scenarios, but even based on draft slots alone, the 49ers got value.

Now that he's drafted...lets hope he pans out

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you want the niners to move down and get more picks? They had so many picks already and little cap space to sign them all

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i typically like to move down and go value[/QUOTE]

This is the Pats way. And if you go to Pats board it's kinda driving them crazy. Eventually you want your team to draft studs AND get good value.

Anyways you mention that the Niners didn't get good value for trading UP. But they did. To move from 31 to 18 should have cost them more then just the 74th pick. The price they paid was great value for the player they wanted.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you want the niners to move down and get more picks? They had so many picks already and little cap space to sign them all

move down and get future picks

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
move down and get future picks

Given that many people feel that next year's draft is much stronger than this year's, why would teams trade next year's picks? I believe three 2014 draft picks were traded this year. Why? Possibly because the 2014 draft is supposed to be loaded and teams didn't want to give that currency up.

Now, why trade down this year? So we could have more draft picks to cut in August? We started with 13 picks. There is no way trading down and getting to 15+ would see all our picks make the team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Given that many people feel that next year's draft is much stronger than this year's

To be fair, I've observed most people feel that the top of the 2014 draft is much stronger than the top of the 2013 draft. There's no way to know if it'll be stronger overall.

That's probably why nobody traded a first from next year (at least not that I heard).

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, I've observed most people feel that the top of the 2014 draft is much stronger than the top of the 2013 draft. There's no way to know if it'll be stronger overall.

That's probably why nobody traded a first from next year (at least not that I heard).

This post has the answers you're looking for.

2014 NFL Draft: 49ers well-positioned with 10 picks next year, Browns in second - SBNation.com

Rams are the only team with 2 first rounders. Nobody traded any future 1st or 2nd rounders this year(straight up at least).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whom would you have taken at 18 if you had to take someone at 18?
Because the Niners weren't going to get Reid without trading up, and the 74th pick was an extremely low price to pay in order to do so.

Yes. Especially in coverage. Add Vaccaro to that list as well.

Damn, Sick, we have talked about this for a long time now. As soon as the pick was made people who were against that selection (me in particular) expressed our preferred alternative options.

Players I thought would have been a better pick for us at #18:
1.) Floyd (he and Carridine would have been sickening on our lineup)
2.) Patterson (the most exploside outside the slot receiver we have seen in years)
3.) Rhodes (he slid too. Immediate starter from day one. A lot like Antrel Rolle in terms of being able to transition to FS if need be down the line)
4.) Eifert (You were a big Eifert fan, and just like FS, I was against trading up to draft a TE in the first round, but I would have much rather him than Reid at #18).

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea seeing we needed a starting FS, we should have taking a DE or TE which we already have starters for, thank god we have the best GM in the league

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn, Sick, we have talked about this for a long time now. As soon as the pick was made people who were against that selection (me in particular) expressed our preferred alternative options.

2.) Patterson (the most exploside outside the slot receiver we have seen in years)
3.) Rhodes (he slid too. Immediate starter from day one. A lot like Antrel Rolle in terms of being able to transition to FS if need be down the line)
4.) Eifert (You were a big Eifert fan, and just like FS, I was against trading up to draft a TE in the first round, but I would have much rather him than Reid at #18).

your opinion is fine but allow my two cents, literally. :-)

1) read a lot about Floyd being just a 4-3 DT, and is one reason he slid so far?
2) considering you trade up 13 spots in round 1, really hard to take an "unpolished" player? really hard to take someone who isn't slated to start day 1?
3) Rhodes might've been a good pick assuming he fits our scheme.
4) Eifert would've been nice but wow, what a luxury.

out of these four, which one would've been out 'BPA', i'd guess Rhodes?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I agree with Eifert; he would've been better value IMO. Rhodes was close, but I prefer Reid.

Would you rather have Floyd or Carradine at DE? The reason I ask is because if you like Carradine over Floyd, it worked out better that they took Reid because it would've been Floyd + DJ Swearinger (the next safety taken; although Amerson could be considered a safety too, and I liked Amerson).

Personally, I'd take the Tank over Foyd any day.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with Eifert; he would've been better value IMO. Rhodes was close, but I prefer Reid.

Would you rather have Floyd or Carradine at DE? The reason I ask is because if you like Carradine over Floyd, it worked out better that they took Reid because it would've been Floyd + DJ Swearinger (the next safety taken; although Amerson could be considered a safety too, and I liked Amerson).

Personally, I'd take the Tank over Foyd any day.

It's not a matter of Floyd Vs. Tank. It's Floyd vs. Reid. I would have targeted both, Floyd and Tank. Which means we wouldn't have added Quinton Dial later on in the draft (who I like).

If you go back to a good thread you had created several weeks ago, asking everyone to chime in on a "trade up topic" (who would be our main targets if 9ers were to trade up).

In that thread I said Austin, Patterson, Mingo, Ansah, Star, and Milliner. So I would have been okay with Patteron at #18. We actually traded up, but we didn't get the player I thought brought us the better value.

Several years ago, we passed up on Harvin for Crabtree. I wasn't upset because I thought Crabtree was a bum, I was upset because we passed up on a player at the time was the better football player of the two. Same thing in 2013, I am not disappointed because I dislike Reid, I am disappointed because there are multiple players I thought would have made us a better team in the long haul. I already mentioned who those players are.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post has the answers you're looking for.

2014 NFL Draft: 49ers well-positioned with 10 picks next year, Browns in second - SBNation.com

Rams are the only team with 2 first rounders. Nobody traded any future 1st or 2nd rounders this year(straight up at least).

I love that we continue to put ourselves in a position to move around in the draft and get the guys we want. Yeah, I wish we had 2 1st round picks next year but it looks like teams weren't moving them this year.