• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wont answer the question because he has an agenda . i wont call him a moron because i dont believe he is that stupid

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. If he doesn't make the play more than likely Seattle wins the game.

If the offense had not given his team a lead, his INT would have meant exactly what?? No doubt, his play SAVED the game. How ever, without the lead, that single play does not in fact WIN the game.

I think I found one of your disconnects though. You fail to see the difference between a defense saving a game, winning a game and in fact blowing the game. Because Im willing to bet, if he had not made that INT, you would not be saying how the defense blew that game, you would be saying something along the lines of well if the offense had given them a two or more score lead, the defense wouldnt have needed to save the game in the first place.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wont answer the question because he has an agenda . i wont call him a moron because i dont believe he is that stupid

no agenda. Just stating what actually happened in our games last year. Once again you miss the point. Not saying our defense was great at all.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, you wont call him a moron because you have more integrity than to stoop to middle school name calling to try and make your point. :thumb:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offense had not given his team a lead, his INT would have meant exactly what?? No doubt, his play SAVED the game. How ever, without the lead, that single play does not in fact WIN the game.

I think I found one of your disconnects though. You fail to see the difference between a defense saving a game, winning a game and in fact blowing the game. Because Im willing to bet, if he had not made that INT, you would not be saying how the defense blew that game, you would be saying something along the lines of well if the offense had given them a two or more score lead, the defense wouldnt have needed to save the game in the first place.

It saved it and won it at that moment in time when they were about to lose the game.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It saved it and won it at that moment in time when they were about to lose the game.

So then by your logic, our defense blew and lost a couple of games we should have won then right?? Or is that not how your double standard works in an attempt to blame the QB for us ultimately missing the playoffs??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then by your logic, our defense blew and lost a couple of games we should have won then right?? Or is that not how your double standard works in an attempt to blame the QB for us ultimately missing the playoffs??

Of course its other people to blame besides KC. I never disputed that. You guys think he is Jesus Christ.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course its other people to blame besides KC. I never disputed that. You guys think he is Jesus Christ.
no one thinks he is jesus christ and only someone being melodramatic would even say that let alone think it .

but to beef up an atrocious defense to make the above avg qb look like crap because that person really wants to be a jr snyder and get a shiny new toy

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly where does thinking he is the best QB we have had in 20 years, thinking that keeping him puts this team in a better position than losing him and drafting a rookie equate to us thinking he is Jesus Christ??

Is he elite?? Nope.

Does the team think we could have just plugged any one in and they would do better?? Well the franchise tag says that the FO realized that the team is better of with Cousins than once more delving into the abyss.

And the clincher here is, if they really thought the team was better off playing the wait and see game, why even bother trying to negotiate any further??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly where does thinking he is the best QB we have had in 20 years, thinking that keeping him puts this team in a better position than losing him and drafting a rookie equate to us thinking he is Jesus Christ??

Is he elite?? Nope.

Does the team think we could have just plugged any one in and they would do better?? Well the franchise tag says that the FO realized that the team is better of with Cousins than once more delving into the abyss.

And the clincher here is, if they really thought the team was better off playing the wait and see game, why even bother trying to negotiate any further??

I already replied to your Carr article that explains all this. you never commented.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already replied to your Carr article that explains all this. you never commented.

Maybe because your reply holds no weight. On the one hand you scream out stats mean nothing. Yet you then pull out that Kirk has a losing record against teams above .500. So one stat matters yet another does not.

Lets put it another way... Megatron is considered one of the best WRs to ever play the game, yet he never won or even played in a Super Bowl. So how is this determined?? Oh yea, because he put up the numbers (stats) of an elite WR despite being on a team that never really did squat his entire time in the league. Barry Sanders is considered one of the best RBs ever, yet his Lions sucked.... but he put up the numbers (stats) that say he was in a class all his own.

Now Kirk has put up the numbers ( stats) that say he is one of the best QBs in the league over the past two years. But because HE has not been able to single handedly carry the team, you are hoping we go in another direction.

And the cherry on the cake here..... what makes us think Pryor is turning into one of the best WRs in the game?? Because he put up the stats of an elite WR despite being on a bad team.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Excellent/Exceptional Comps: Jake Delhomme and Tom Brady.
  • Positives: Half of this list is composed of quarterbacks either in the Hall-of-Fame or are near-locks for future induction… Like Cousins, Jake Delhomme (#1) was an underdog quarterback who ascended into a starting role later in his career. Coming off a Super Bowl appearance at age-28—his first season as a starter—Delhomme enjoyed a successful six-year run as the starting quarterback in Carolina, posting a 45-34 regular-season record and guiding the 2005 Panthers to the NFC Championship game at age 30… Tom Brady (#2) is an “excellent” age-28 statistical comp to Cousins. Enough said… Despite some criticism, Eli Manning (#4) has a Super Bowl victory and three Pro Bowl berths since his age-28 season… While his play started to decline in his early 30s, Troy Aikman (#5) capped off his Hall-of-Fame career by leading the Cowboys to a victory in Super Bowl XXX at age 29, his third title as the starter in Dallas… After a similar age-28 season, future Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly (#7) was on the precipice of guiding the Bills to four consecutive Super Bowl appearances… Another Hall-of-Famer, Dan Fouts (#10) was entering his prime at age 28. Leading the NFL in completion percentage and passing yards while guiding the high-octane San Diego offense of the late-70s and early-80s, Fouts was named to five Pro Bowls after age 28 and led the Chargers to back-to-back AFC Championship games in 1980 and 1981.
  • Concerns: Matt Schaub (#3) offers a mixed bag of outcomes when thinking about Cousins. After leading the NFL in passing yards at age 28, Schaub posted 90+ QB ratings in each of the next three years while making the Pro Bowl and leading the 2012 Texans to the second-round of the playoffs. However, Schaub’s career quickly unraveled the following year and he’s been a journeyman backup ever since… Chad Pennington (#6) also offers a mixed set of outcomes. After his age-28 season, Pennington was highly effective when on the field with an 87.9 QB rating, highlighted by two playoff trips and the NFL lead in completion percentage in 2008 at age 32. But he also badly struggled with a variety of injuries and only made more than eight starts in two seasons after age 28… Locked in a three-way QB battle with the Bears in 1999 and 2000, Jim Miller (#8) is a poor comparison to Cousins. Miller barely reached the 150-attempt threshold while starting three games (83.5 QB rating) for Chicago at age 28 in 1999, a season cut short by a steroid suspension. After starting two games the following year, Miller finally emerged as a starter at age 30. While Miller went 11-2 as a starter and guided the 2001 Bears to the playoffs, he lost his starting job the following year and didn’t take another regular-season snap after his age age-31 season… After a mediocre age-28 season with the 1982 Rams, Vince Ferragamo (#9) quarterbacked the Los Angeles to the playoffs the following season with a respectable 75.9 QB rating in his age-29 season. But his performance declined sharply at age 30, as his last three years in the NFL were marred by an 8/28 TD/INT ratio, a 2-10 record and a broken hand.

Colt McCoy (30)

• Summary: Did not appear in a regular-season game in 2016… Started four games and attempted 128 passes in his age-27 season in 2014, his last starting action since 13 games with the 2011 Browns… An examination of his small sample of attempts yields no particularly close comparisons among age-27 quarterbacks; the top three are Jeff Blake (distance=2.37), Brian Griese (2.39) and Tim Rattay (2.57).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Date: May 27, 2017Author: clevelandsportsecon
Photo Credit: Keith Allison via Flickr Creative Commons

Introduction

As a component of my recent three-part series on NFL rookie quarterbacks, I developed an empirical tool that estimates a “similarity score” for single-season QB performances from 1970 through 2016. This methodology—explained in greater detail here—incorporates five standard measures of passing effectiveness and also controls for differences in a quarterback’s physical tools and playing style. By also including adjustments for year-to-year changes in NFL passing offenses, the resulting tool allows one to make apples-to-apples comparisons between any two quarterbacks’ single-season performances since the NFL-AFL merger.

While my earlier work focused only on the most recent rookie QB class, these next two articles will apply this empirical approach to examine all quarterbacks on NFL depth charts as of May 2017. It is hoped that by publishing a list of every active QB’s best historical player comparisons—based solely on their 2016 performance—that this series will provide perspective on what to expect from each team’s quarterbacks in 2017 and the potential range of outcomes for each player’s career. For Part II of this series (Part I here), I will focus on the quarterbacks in the NFC.

Methodology

In order to make historical comparisons, any empirical tool must rely on data that are available and consistent across the entire time period to be studied. Since the goal of my earlier article was to make quarterback comparisons among players in modern NFL history, this approach must rely on the statistics that are available for players from every season between 1970 and 2016. As presented in my earlier study, I have chosen the following five QB rate statistics to measure passing performance:

• Completion percentage (comp / att)
  • Yards per completion (yards / comp)
  • Touchdown percentage (td / att)
  • Interception percentage (int / att)
  • Sack percentage [sack / (sack+att)]
Player variations in these statistics should reflect differences in the relative strengths and weaknesses of each player as a passer. However, generating the most effective player comparisons requires more than just passing statistics given that player comps—in any sport—also typically rely on the commonality of playing style and physical characteristics. As a result, this empirical approach also incorporates two other variables:

• Rush yards per game (yards / game)
  • Height (inches)
Given fundamental changes in the NFL since 1970, it would be irresponsible to simply compare quarterbacks’ raw statistics across eras. Instead, this empirical approach compares each QB’s seven measures against the NFL average in that season among quarterbacks with 150+ pass attempts. By transforming each QB’s seven values into year-normed z-scores, it is possible to make apples-to-apples comparisons between quarterbacks across eras. In order to generate a singular index of comparability for each QB comparison, I apply a standard Euclidean distance measure (i.e., the square root of the sum of squared differences across all seven z-scores). For an example of how this works, I’d suggest that one review the Cody Kessler/Bernie Kosar comparison here.

So how does one interpret the values of these similarity scores? In reviewing the results for all active quarterbacks, I’d suggest the following guidelines to interpret the numbers:

distance-guidelines.png

To summarize, the analysis that follows develops player comparisons based on rate statistics from the 2016 season; career-to-date performance is not (yet) included in the model. Further, I will be limiting the results to only QBs who were of the same age to ensure similar trajectories on the age-performance curve. Finally, I limit the analysis to quarterback seasons with 150 or more pass attempts. This is important given that, within a sufficiently small sample, player performance may be incredibly divergent from their true level of talent. Thus, while I may use this tool to consider active QBs with less than 150 attempts in the player notes below, all historical matches will have met the 150-attempt threshold to be included in the sample.

this explains the above rankings and how they were arrived

Again, this article was designed to examine the current quarterback depth chart of every team in the NFC. As a result, quarterbacks are grouped according to their current team and not on the basis of the team for which they played in 2016. For each active QB, his age as of December 31, 2017, is added in parentheses. Finally, each player table features the number of games that a QB has started in the years after the season in question; this is added to provide some perspective on the future performance and longevity of a QB’s best historical comparisons.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what question? game winning plays. look it up. you guys are nuts.

Did Denver's defense win the game when they gave up 48 points, 500 yards passing, and 5 TDs to Dallas when they won 51-48 just because they got an interception at the end of the game?

Did Malcolm Butler win the game with that interception on the 1 or was he lucky Seattle didn't call a run? If you want to credit the defense then they should have never allowed Seattle to drive it to the 1.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because your reply holds no weight. On the one hand you scream out stats mean nothing. Yet you then pull out that Kirk has a losing record against teams above .500. So one stat matters yet another does not.

Lets put it another way... Megatron is considered one of the best WRs to ever play the game, yet he never won or even played in a Super Bowl. So how is this determined?? Oh yea, because he put up the numbers (stats) of an elite WR despite being on a team that never really did squat his entire time in the league. Barry Sanders is considered one of the best RBs ever, yet his Lions sucked.... but he put up the numbers (stats) that say he was in a class all his own.

Now Kirk has put up the numbers ( stats) that say he is one of the best QBs in the league over the past two years. But because HE has not been able to single handedly carry the team, you are hoping we go in another direction.

And the cherry on the cake here..... what makes us think Pryor is turning into one of the best WRs in the game?? Because he put up the stats of an elite WR despite being on a bad team.

you are replying to the wrong post.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Denver's defense win the game when they gave up 48 points, 500 yards passing, and 5 TDs to Dallas when they won 51-48 just because they got an interception at the end of the game?

Did Malcolm Butler win the game with that interception on the 1 or was he lucky Seattle didn't call a run? If you want to credit the defense then they should have never allowed Seattle to drive it to the 1.

In the Denver game if that was the last play of the game . yes. I don't remember that game. Butler won the game with the INT b/c it was the last play of the game that ended the game. that is how I feel about that matter.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are replying to the wrong post.

Maybe because your argument has held little weight in all aspects. You have said

1. We should deal Kirk because he wants too much.
2. We should wait and see because we might be able to find some one better for less.
3. Stats only matter when they support your argument.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Denver game if that was the last play of the game . yes. I don't remember that game. Butler won the game with the INT b/c it was the last play of the game that ended the game. that is how I feel about that matter.
so you dismiss what happened before ? you make a" game winning " play at the end and you say the defense is good ? HUH ? that is your position you are selling us ?