• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam, Ryan, Eli, Ben, Rivers, Luck, Tannehill, Stafford, Cutler, Rodgers, Palmer, Pennington = 12

Losman, Locker, Manuel, Griffin, Weeden, Gabbert, Ponder, Tebow, Sanchez, Freeman, Russell, Quinn, Young, Leinart, Campbell, Leftwich, Grossman, Boller, Carr, Harrington, Ramsey = 21

Vick, Bradford, Flacco, Smith, Brees (32nd pick but technically 2nd rounder) = 5

So at worst youre looking at 12/37 = 32.43%

At best 17/38 = 44.74%

So the range should be more like 30-45%.

Wow. So Tannehill, Cutler, Palmer, Pennington, Vick, and Smith are better or as good? See...this is why we can't have nice things in DC. Some of you people think the shiny toys elsewhere are better than our PBers.

I would say KC is better than hose I listed, plus Eli, Palmer, Flacco, and Smith.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. So Tannehill, Cutler, Palmer, Pennington, Vick, and Smith are better or as good? See...this is why we can't have nice things in DC. Some of you people think the shiny toys elsewhere are better than our PBers.

I would say KC is better than hose I listed, plus Eli, Palmer, Flacco, and Smith.

Tannehill, Cutler, Pennington, and Palmer yea. Vick and Smith were in that 3rd category that was meant to be a "you decide" group for personal preference. Allow a little leeway for everybody. You dont include them? Fine by me. I certainly wouldnt include Smith but some might.

Eli may be worse now (Im not sure what to think of him anymore) but hes on the downswing of a (most likely) HOF career. In no effing world does he not count as a hit for this "study".

I dont think my realistic evaluations of QBs have anything to do with whether or not we can have nice things in DC.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You realize that almost everyone on that list are Pro Bowlers and/or Super Bowl Champions right??? You realize that up to this point KC isn't near the accomplishments as some on that list and not even in the same ballpark as others right??

I get it, KC has had a couple of really good years. He has put up some good stats. But 2 years isn't enough to annoint him as a HOFer, which is kinda what you are saying.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that almost everyone on that list are Pro Bowlers and/or Super Bowl Champions right??? You realize that up to this point KC isn't near the accomplishments as some on that list and not even in the same ballpark as others right??

I get it, KC has had a couple of really good years. He has put up some good stats. But 2 years isn't enough to annoint him as a HOFer, which is kinda what you are saying.

manning has 2 super bowls . flacco 1 but you re not selling me he is better and hi stats tell me he is worse KC qbr is 6th overall for both years flacco isnt close . pennington was an avg injury prone pro tanneu hill is avg at best vick couldnt hit my mother with a pass cutler ? please . palmer , injury prone but he is at least as good

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carson Palmer has had one really good year in his career. He has made the PB 3 times in his career. Yep...I will take KC. No SB. Definitely will not be in the HOF.

Mike Vick has never had a really good year at QB. He is one of the most overrated QBs in the history of the game. No SB...no HOF.

You lose all cred trying to pass off Pennington as better than KC. He has never won a SB, has never made a PB, and has never put up stats.

I could keep going but it is pointless. You think KC sucks. We get it. Don't worry though. Danny will get you a shiny new toy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
redskinsfan said:
Insane. If the Redskins give Cuz more than what Luck got, they'd still have plenty under the cap to spend on other signings. Right now, they're $62M under. Cutting people like D-Hall, Lichstenteiger and Lauvao will push that to more than $72M. If Kirk's cap number this year is, say, $21M (which would be a pretty liberal estimate), we've still got $51M to spend.
But we don't know what that number is. So its useless to argue about it. Im just not sold on the player.

this is dean on january 4 2017 post number 98 . he says he doesnt know the number so its useless to argue about it , he isnt sold on the player in the ABC'r fashion he has been in denial about

the number doesnt matter he isnt sold on the player by his own hand

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC East Q&A: Which QB would you want for the next three years?
7:00 AM ET

Today's question: Which NFC East QB would you take for the next three years?

Dallas Cowboys reporter: Three years is an eternity. Coaches don't get a long time to win these days; after two years, you might be out of a job. Eli Manning is 36. If the question was, "Who would you take if you wanted to win in 2017?" I might take him just because of his Super Bowl pedigree. Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott are set up to have a long-term rivalry inside the division for years to come, but they aren't finished products and still have plenty to learn. Based on age and experience, Kirk Cousins has the best blend. He makes some strange decisions at times, but he also threw for 25 touchdowns and more than 4,900 yards last year. He would be helped by a better running game, but for the next three years I would go with Cousins over the other three, perhaps a little reluctantly, because Prescott has the best supporting cast in the division right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
Jordan Raanan, New York Giants reporter: Give me Cousins. Manning is 36 and up and down like the Meadowlands winds. Wentz is a potential Pro Bowl quarterback and Prescott is really good, but both are still somewhat unproven. Prescott threw 23 touchdown passes last season and Wentz had 16. Cousins has thrown 54 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions in his first two years as a full-time starter. And he's in his prime. Sure, some of it might not be with the Redskins (he's a free agent after this season), but if I'm starting a team right now, Cousins is the best choice of the NFC East quarterbacks for the next three years.

John Keim, Washington Redskins reporter: It depends who else I have to play with them. It wouldn't be Manning, just because of his age and the fact he's coming off a down year. With a strong receiver base, Manning should be better in 2017, but for the next two seasons after that? I don't know. Not that any Eagles fans will shake when I say this, but I'm not sold yet on Wentz, at least not as far as how good he'll become. That leaves Prescott and Cousins. I love what Prescott did and the poise he played with -- he did not look like a rookie. But how will he follow up that season? He's not Robert Griffin III, but after that season, I reserve the right to wonder about a player's second year. Cousins has played with talented wideouts but hasn't had a consistent running attack, so the burden has fallen largely on him to be productive or else the offense falters. Excellent offensive minds such as Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay love Cousins and consider him a special player and would welcome him as their starting QB. It's not just because they think Cousins is a nice guy; it's because they believe in him. I'm confident knowing what Cousins will, or won't, do over the next three years. It gives him a slight edge.

pretty strong statements there by some pundits

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dallas Cowboys reporter: Three years is an eternity. Coaches don't get a long time to win these days; after two years, you might be out of a job. Eli Manning is 36. If the question was, "Who would you take if you wanted to win in 2017?" I might take him just because of his Super Bowl pedigree. Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott are set up to have a long-term rivalry inside the division for years to come, but they aren't finished products and still have plenty to learn. Based on age and experience, Kirk Cousins has the best blend. He makes some strange decisions at times, but he also threw for 25 touchdowns and more than 4,900 yards last year. He would be helped by a better running game, but for the next three years I would go with Cousins over the other three, perhaps a little reluctantly, because Prescott has the best supporting cast in the division right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
Jordan Raanan, New York Giants reporter: Give me Cousins. Manning is 36 and up and down like the Meadowlands winds. Wentz is a potential Pro Bowl quarterback and Prescott is really good, but both are still somewhat unproven. Prescott threw 23 touchdown passes last season and Wentz had 16. Cousins has thrown 54 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions in his first two years as a full-time starter. And he's in his prime. Sure, some of it might not be with the Redskins (he's a free agent after this season), but if I'm starting a team right now, Cousins is the best choice of the NFC East quarterbacks for the next three years.

John Keim, Washington Redskins reporter: It depends who else I have to play with them. It wouldn't be Manning, just because of his age and the fact he's coming off a down year. With a strong receiver base, Manning should be better in 2017, but for the next two seasons after that? I don't know. Not that any Eagles fans will shake when I say this, but I'm not sold yet on Wentz, at least not as far as how good he'll become. That leaves Prescott and Cousins. I love what Prescott did and the poise he played with -- he did not look like a rookie. But how will he follow up that season? He's not Robert Griffin III, but after that season, I reserve the right to wonder about a player's second year. Cousins has played with talented wideouts but hasn't had a consistent running attack, so the burden has fallen largely on him to be productive or else the offense falters. Excellent offensive minds such as Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay love Cousins and consider him a special player and would welcome him as their starting QB. It's not just because they think Cousins is a nice guy; it's because they believe in him. I'm confident knowing what Cousins will, or won't, do over the next three years. It gives him a slight edge.

I think it has to be Cousins or Prescott. Dont see the argument for Wentz or Eli.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ADVERTISEMENT

These are some pretty strong statements. He sweeps the board. I'm curious how @deanpet21 or @VT view these analyses.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are some pretty strong statements. He sweeps the board. I'm curious how @deanpet21 or @VT view these analyses.

KC is being compared to two rookie QB's and Manning who should retire in the next three years. Gee I think a 24M Qb KC should sweep the board. lol. If he didn't in that situation they would be major problems.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC is being compared to two rookie QB's and Manning who should retire in the next three years. Gee I think a 24M Qb KC should sweep the board. lol. If he didn't in that situation they would be major problems.
So you don't put much stock in them?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stock in who? does that article excite you?
elite me? Sorry, but that's not how I get my excitement. But it does validate what most of us have been saying.

Ofcourse know that you are firmly in the KC camp, it should make you happy, right?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Palmer has had one really good year in his career. He has made the PB 3 times in his career. Yep...I will take KC. No SB. Definitely will not be in the HOF.

Mike Vick has never had a really good year at QB. He is one of the most overrated QBs in the history of the game. No SB...no HOF.

You lose all cred trying to pass off Pennington as better than KC. He has never won a SB, has never made a PB, and has never put up stats.

I could keep going but it is pointless. You think KC sucks. We get it. Don't worry though. Danny will get you a shiny new toy.

You didn't read my post did you? I said MOST (maybe not all) of those guys have a better resume than KC.

Palmer has had a very very good career. He has thrown for over 4,000 yards 6 times and been on the doorstep 2 more. 3X Pro Bowler. Broke lots of records. Arguing KC (right now) vs. Palmer is laughable. Would you take him right now over Palmer? Sure, why not. Palmer is an old man. If he plays 2-3 more years, I think he will def. get some consideration as a HOFer.

Vick, OK, he wasn't as good/accurate of a passer as KC (or most QBs for that matter), but he was a 4X Pro Bowler. He brought something else to the game other than his rifle arm.

Pennington, sure, he was solid, but unspectacular. Had alot of injury issues throughout his career but in the grand scheme of things didn't accomplish much. Most of the young guys don't even remember CP. Kirk is a shoulder injury away from being Pennington 2.0 An after thought who accomplished NOTHING.

I could keep going but it is pointless. You think KC is the best QB in the NFL. We get it. Don't worry though. Some of you get a boner because of his stats, not taking into account other influences that could have affected those. Kirk will throw for 4,000+ more yards this year, maybe choke in big games, we will likely miss the playoffs.... and it will still be every else's faults but Kirks.

...And I don't need a shiny new toy lmao. NOt sure why you knuckleheads keep proclaiming that. I am a glass half-empty guy. I need to see more before (unlike some of you) I am convinced he is the next Joe Montana. Whats wrong with that?

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so `29 year old kirk who has been in this league for what 5-6 years who demands all the money in the world plus 2 islands is being campared to 2 going to be second year players and a 36 year grandpa dean is right this is not good news with kirk pay checks its should be brady, rogers cousins, who would u want

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so `29 year old kirk who has been in this league for what 5-6 years who demands all the money in the world plus 2 islands is being campared to 2 going to be second year players and a 36 year grandpa dean is right this is not good news with kirk pay checks its should be brady, rogers cousins, who would u want

The Spurrier SN suits you well since both of you know about the same amt about the NFL (i.e. pretty much nothing). Here we go again with the same old tired argument that unless a QB is named Brady, Rodgers or Luck you don't deserve a big contract. Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn......

You & Dean apparently are the President & VP of the Cousins Hater Club.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Sharkinva 's take in the 14 day thread got me thinking about something that I haven't seen mentioned and ya'll may already know about it, but it was news to me, so here it is.

Everyone knows if Cousins walks as an unrestricted free agent in march, the Skins will get a 3rd rd comp pick for him.

However, from what I can find, if the Skins place the transition tag on Cousins and they decide not to match an offer from another team, not only do the Skins not get a draft pick compensation (like they would under the franchise tag), the Skins will NOT get any kind of comp pick for him either.

It's b/c a transition tagged player isn't a qualifying FA under the comp formula. It's why the Phins rescinded the transition tag on DE O.Vernon just hours before FA started (so they could get a 3rd rd comp for losing him) and why transition-tagged TE C.Clay didn't count as a "signed" FA for the Bills (they knew they could sign him without it counting against them in the comp formula).

So, unless the Skins are willing to match a BIG offer, a Carr/Luck offer, the transition tag may not be a viable option. I'm interesting to hear the Skins fans' thoughts on this (and if you have info to the contrary, please let me know).

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, unless the Skins are willing to match a BIG offer, a Carr/Luck offer, the transition tag may not be a viable option. I'm interesting to hear the Skins fans' thoughts on this (and if you have info to the contrary, please let me know).

You are talking about matching a Luck/Carr offer by 7/17/17 correct?? Not next offseason right?

If this year, then yes, it's s foregone conclusion that it will take AT LEAST that to lock him up this year, before 7/17. Some (including myself) think it's about 50/50 that he would take the Luck deal today.

If we don't sign him by 7/17, there is a pretty good shot he won't be a Skin after this year. He will test FA and jump ship.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Sharkinva 's take in the 14 day thread got me thinking about something that I haven't seen mentioned and ya'll may already know about it, but it was news to me, so here it is.

Everyone knows if Cousins walks as an unrestricted free agent in march, the Skins will get a 3rd rd comp pick for him.

However, from what I can find, if the Skins place the transition tag on Cousins and they decide not to match an offer from another team, not only do the Skins not get a draft pick compensation (like they would under the franchise tag), the Skins will NOT get any kind of comp pick for him either.

It's b/c a transition tagged player isn't a qualifying FA under the comp formula. It's why the Phins rescinded the transition tag on DE O.Vernon just hours before FA started (so they could get a 3rd rd comp for losing him) and why transition-tagged TE C.Clay didn't count as a "signed" FA for the Bills (they knew they could sign him without it counting against them in the comp formula).

It is only a third round pick. I throw the transition tag on him and roll the dice. You also only get that compensatory if the formula works in your benefit.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are talking about matching a Luck/Carr offer by 7/17/17 correct?? Not next offseason right?

If this year, then yes, it's s foregone conclusion that it will take AT LEAST that to lock him up this year, before 7/17. Some (including myself) think it's about 50/50 that he would take the Luck deal today.

If we don't sign him by 7/17, there is a pretty good shot he won't be a Skin after this year. He will test FA and jump ship.

He is talking next offseason when we can throw the transition tag on KC.