• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are talking about matching a Luck/Carr offer by 7/17/17 correct?? Not next offseason right?

If this year, then yes, it's s foregone conclusion that it will take AT LEAST that to lock him up this year, before 7/17. Some (including myself) think it's about 50/50 that he would take the Luck deal today.

If we don't sign him by 7/17, there is a pretty good shot he won't be a Skin after this year. He will test FA and jump ship.
Nah. @gkekoa has it right. I'm talking about after this season. I don't see any way a LTD gets done before the July deadline, so any talk of KC's future is about happens in February 2018.

I'm talking about what happens after he has to play this year under the franchise tag. So many sports writers have brought up the transition tag as a real possibility, but it doesn't look like that's really viable.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is only a third round pick. I throw the transition tag on him and roll the dice.
I admire that kind of risk-taking. By this point, the FO knows what KC's demands are. If they were wiling to pay that, he'd be signed to a LTD already (assuming he wants to stay in DC at all) and if KC was willing to accept the Skins' best offer, he wouldn't have been tagged 2 years in a row. So, for the transition tag to make sense, the Skins FO has to believe that no other team is willing to significantly beat their best offer. I wouldn't bet an extra 3rd rd pick on that.

You also only get that compensatory if the formula works in your benefit.
That's a good point. To get that 3rd, the Skins would have to avoid signing an outside FA to a big contract this coming offseason. Most teams that know they have a 3rd rd comp pick coming, go out of their way not to lose. That is also why the Skins' signing of guys like Pryor and Z.Brown to 1 year deals is a very sharp move--b/c if they play well, resigning them in 2018 won't count as signing an outside FA in the comp formula, but if the Skins let them walk, they could gain the SKins comp picks by signing elsewhere.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire that kind of risk-taking. By this point, the FO knows what KC's demands are. If they were wiling to pay that, he'd be signed to a LTD already (assuming he wants to stay in DC at all) and if KC was willing to accept the Skins' best offer, he wouldn't have been tagged 2 years in a row. So, for the transition tag to make sense, the Skins FO has to believe that no other team is willing to significantly beat their best offer. I wouldn't bet an extra 3rd rd pick on that.

That's a good point. To get that 3rd, the Skins would have to avoid signing an outside FA to a big contract this coming offseason. That is also why the Skins' signing of guys like Pryor and Z.Brown to 1 year deals is a very sharp move--b/c if they play well, resigning them in 2018 won't count as signing an outside FA in the comp formula, but if the Skins let them walk, they could gain the SKins comp picks by signing elsewhere.

Holy shit... some one who has actually done their homework on the CBA..

I applaud you sir. :clap:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
niner outlaw , could you clear up an issue for us regarding our Pal deanpet21 . he is making the claim that you are saying because there is some risk in losing KC by not trading for him that , that somehow alters your opinion that a trade is possible .

so for the record do you think its realistically possible the 49ers will trade for KC prior to 7/17 or is dean holding on to a fraction of your statement ?

you said that the risk was hedged by the 49ers being able to draft a qb and he is trying to use that "risk " to imply your true feelings means a trade is possible

my position is no trade is possible with any other team to include yours because the 49ers will simply not agree to trade their first round pick if they dont have to and are willing to "risk " losing him because they believe they can get him as a FA if they want him or simply draft a qb

thanks for you input

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so for the record do you think its realistically possible the 49ers will trade for KC prior to 7/17 or is dean holding on to a fraction of your statement ?
It's possible, but not realistic. So, no I don't think it's realistically possible. I don't think I ever said otherwise--someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

@deanpet21 's point to me, as I understand it, is that there is some risk in waiting to make a run at Cousins in February 2018--and he's right. There is SOME risk, but it is an acceptable level of risk due to the Niners' coach/GM having no pressure to win for a couple of years, SF's HUGE cap space, the KC/Kyle bromance, the same offense, some of his former teammates, etc. No team will offer him 30M/year. The question will be which team he will take 25M/year from, and the Niners are the heavy favorites.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible, but not realistic. So, no I don't think it's realistically possible. I don't think I ever said otherwise--someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

@deanpet21 's point to me, as I understand it, is that there is some risk in waiting to make a run at Cousins in February 2018--and he's right. There is SOME risk, but it is an acceptable level of risk due to the Niners' coach/GM having no pressure to win for a couple of years, SF's HUGE cap space, the KC/Kyle bromance, the same offense, some of his former teammates, etc. No team will offer him 30M/year. The question will be which team he will take 25M/year from, and the Niners are the heavy favorites.

I wouldnt put a cap on the number per year just yet. I think Stafford is going to get $27M a year annually, And lets not forget Rogers deal will drive up the price as well. Oswieler got $17M a year because the market was $17-20M a year at the time. Dependent on HOW the Skins finish the season and Kirks role in that.... numbers could get to the point where $27-30M a year is plausible.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins will sign soon for approx 26M per year.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just my assessment from watching this all play out. "Deadlines make deals."

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. @gkekoa has it right. I'm talking about after this season. I don't see any way a LTD gets done before the July deadline, so any talk of KC's future is about happens in February 2018.

I'm talking about what happens after he has to play this year under the franchise tag. So many sports writers have brought up the transition tag as a real possibility, but it doesn't look like that's really viable.

Ok. That's why I asking. In in that case, unless Cousins flops, a Luck/Carr deal isn't gonna get it done next offseason. He will be looking more along the lines of $30 million a year in FA. Think your boys Shanny and Lynch are willing to pay it??

I agree with gk. Roll the dice and hope someone wants him really bad. A 3rd round pick isn't going to make or break an organization.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. That's why I asking. In in that case, unless Cousins flops, a Luck/Carr deal isn't gonna get it done next offseason. He will be looking more along the lines of $30 million a year in FA. Think your boys Shanny and Lynch are willing to pay it??

I agree with gk. Roll the dice and hope someone wants him really bad. A 3rd round pick isn't going to make or break an organization.
the 3rd round pick doesnt come from the team signing , it comes from the NFL just so you know

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you dont use a transition tag unless you are going to match any offers , the smart play is to franchise him non exclusive

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt put a cap on the number per year just yet. I think Stafford is going to get $27M a year annually, And lets not forget Rogers deal will drive up the price as well. Oswieler got $17M a year because the market was $17-20M a year at the time. Dependent on HOW the Skins finish the season and Kirks role in that.... numbers could get to the point where $27-30M a year is plausible.
Yea, I agree, KC could end up signing for as much as 27M/year. Particularly if Stafford or Rodgers gets extended in the meantime.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see the Niners willing to pay 30M/year. 25-27M/year, with 60-75M guaranteed, absolutely.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 3rd round pick doesnt come from the team signing , it comes from the NFL just so you know

you dont use a transition tag unless you are going to match any offers , the smart play is to franchise him non exclusive

Right, I was referring more along the lines of compensation if he walks. But true, on the TT we get no compensation if he walks correct?

But by signing him on the NEFT he gets $35 million if he doesn't sign (or at least look) somewhere else. We get 2- 1sts if he goes somewhere and we don't match Right?

Hell at this rate, KC might just play on 1 year deals for the next 10 years and make about a half bill.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I was referring more along the lines of compensation if he walks. But true, on the TT we get no compensation if he walks correct?

But by signing him on the NEFT he gets $35 million if he doesn't sign (or at least look) somewhere else. We get 2- 1sts if he goes somewhere and we don't match Right?

Hell at this rate, KC might just play on 1 year deals for the next 10 years and make about a half bill.

I theory. But in reality if another team wants to give him an offer sheet, they can always call and try to talk the Redskins down. Thats how we ended up loosing Bailey and a second round pick in exchange for Clinton Portis.

I know I know, its a QB, so the rules do change some what. But if Kirk decides he WONT sign the tender, what happens if we end up like Carolina did with Josh Norman? They eventually rescinded the tag, and actually got no compensation because they had originally tagged him.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldnt be surprised if a hold out does come about next season but if i am KC i would sign the 34mil tag easily and i will have banked 20 mil 24 mil and 34 mil on tags for a whopping 78 mil in guarantees

having him walk isnt a realistic option in my opinion . you will set the team back a couple of years or more looking for a qb