• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is your opinion. you like stats. I rather have the other two.
Based on what? Looks? Isn't the whole goal to have a QB that can win and perform at his position?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, MJ and only great QB's...

That's the sample...

makes perfect sens

I'll just say you've had better posts and leave it at that.

Oh...there are plenty more. I just threw MJ out there because I was a huge fan growing up.

The great QBs was the only important part because that is Dean's reason for liking Carr more...he is 26 and KC is over the hill at 28. Context...you have to read the whole thing and not the CNN cliff notes version.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ba

Based on what? How'd Carr put the Raiders on the map? What exactly did he do? Stafford has a career losing record that is below KCs. DO you know how many INTs he has thrown at the end of games?
W

Didn't Stafford lose 16 games one season?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is your opinion. Put a poll up on the general board to see who would want which QB right now. If I don't know what im talking about then KC should win in a landslide.

The question isn't who those fans would want. The question is who would Redskin fans want in this offense this coming season. I will take KC over Stafford and Carr.

no. I was just comparing to KC. Stafford had a lot of comeback wins with a bad defense. KC has not.

So comeback wins is the most important thing? How many comeback wins did Brady have the year they won all 16 games?

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruz, while I disagree with you, I respect that you are one a few that have honestly stated you opinion.

Now as to can KC QB a team to the SB. None of us really know. But what we do know is that there have been plenty of QBs to make the SB (and win) that were arguably less talented that KC (any one remember sexy rexy, for one). KC still has issues. Clearly there is concern for his propensity to show up flat in big games. But as others have stated, he is still young in terms of NFL experience. He is a hard worker and is constantly striving to improve. I have to believe that this bodes well for KC's ability to continue to improve. He has the physical tools to do it all. Now he just needs to eliminate the mental errors. But everyone has to agree that he has only become better in this dept based on where he started 3 years ago when he first got his significant playing time.

Everyone seems to be so concerned about KC's impact on the cap if we sign him to a LTD. Does everyone realize that his cap hit will only go down from $24M to something less for the first couple of years if, and when, the deal is done? And this time next year, if no LTD is done, do they realize what his cap hit will be or what t he cost of finding his replacement will be?
I appreciate that opening comment - and the same to you. And I should clarify my thoughts a little better. I'm not a guy who believes you NEED a great QB to win it all. If the rest of the team is great, you don't necessarily need a great QB. But if the slightly above average QB is taking 25 million a year against the cap, it's virtually impossible to build that great surrounding cast.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but he had a lot of comeback wins that season.

But guys, its all about maintaining our options. Because if the team finishes 0-16, its obvious the QB is NOT a franchise QB and the team needs to have the option to go in another direction.

We need to see more so we have the option to either pay Kirk MORE which people will bitch about.

Or the option to trade up in next years draft.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. I was just comparing to KC. Stafford had a lot of comeback wins with a bad defense. KC has not.

Laughable comparison. Take away the names on the back of the jerseys & call them Player A & Player B. You won't find much difference between the two for the last two seasons. You obviously don't do your homework.

Their stats for the last two seasons are eerily similar (Cousins might have slight edge). In head to head the Skins would have beaten the Lions & Cousins should have scored the winning TD. However - his horrid defense let the Lions score the game winning TD in a handful of plays at the end of the game.

The Lions record over the last few seasons has been worse than the Redskins. They only squeaked into the playoffs last season on the last day & then were clobbered by the Seahawks. How is that better than what happened to the Redskins? Stafford has also had the benefit for many years of having the best receiver in the game & also having a defense that featured one of the best pass rushers in the game.

Your comparison is flawed to say the least. You must base it mainly on the fact that Stafford was a # 1 overall pick & Cousins was taken in the 4th rd.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that opening comment - and the same to you. And I should clarify my thoughts a little better. I'm not a guy who believes you NEED a great QB to win it all. If the rest of the team is great, you don't necessarily need a great QB. But if the slightly above average QB is taking 25 million a year against the cap, it's virtually impossible to build that great surrounding cast.
Unfortunately that is the going rate for a starting QB in today's market. But if you look at how the cap increases over the next few years, it is doable, but you have to hit on a bunch of young position players that aren't that expensive. Also, KC's cap hit most likely won't be $25M, but something less. it will be a contract that has a large signing bonus and smaller annual cap hit. Since the signing bonus can be prorated across the life of the contract, it minimizes the cap hit. His first few years, the cap hit will most likely be in the 18-22M range. Much less than the $24 this year or the $28-35 next year. Now that will kill you from a cap perspective.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Dean - the Lions only beat one team with a winning record last season. Care to guess who that was? You got it - Redskins, and that would not have occurred if the Redskins defense didn't choke at that end of the game.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughable comparison. Take away the names on the back of the jerseys & call them Player A & Player B. You won't find much difference between the two for the last two seasons. You obviously don't do your homework.

Their stats for the last two seasons are eerily similar (Cousins might have slight edge). In head to head the Skins would have beaten the Lions & Cousins should have scored the winning TD. However - his horrid defense let the Lions score the game winning TD in a handful of plays at the end of the game.

The Lions record over the last few seasons has been worse than the Redskins. They only squeaked into the playoffs last season on the last day & then were clobbered by the Seahawks. How is that better than what happened to the Redskins? Stafford has also had the benefit for many years of having the best receiver in the game & also having a defense that featured one of the best pass rushers in the game.

Your comparison is flawed to say the least. You must base it mainly on the fact that Stafford was a # 1 overall pick & Cousins was taken in the 4th rd.
He clearly hasn't done his homework. He is so blinded by the Giants game last year that he can't see what he really has or what KC really is as compared to his peers. The grass is always greener for some people.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just crazy to me b/c if Carr or Stafford were on our team now we would be favored for a NFC Championship game. I believe both those QB';s have a better skill set and are better athletes than KC.

Both have stronger arms with Stafford's arm strength being the stuff of legend, but other than that. What skill do Carr and Stafford possess that KC lacks or needs more of? Its certainly not passing accuracy and it hasn't translated to more success winning/losing-wise either. As Stafford is 51-61. a .455 winning percentage. And Carr is 22-25, a .468 winning percentage. In comparison KC is 19-22-1, a .464 winning percentage.

Skill-sets, cannons for an arm, passing accuracy and wins and losses aside. I mean, really, if you think Stafford and Carr deserve 25 mill per. How can you think KC doesn't deserve 25 mill per?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have hit on a key factor here that many simply are not willing to admit to. If Cousins had been drafted in the 2nd or 1st round, most of the options guys would be more than willing to give him more time than just this coming season.

But because he was a 4th rounder, Dallas had a 13-3 season with a late round Rookie, and there are supposed to be 900 Elite QBs in the 2018 draft, we should easily be able to find a better QB than Cousins. See I dont think these guys have an issue with paying a QB $25M a year right now because thats the market. The issue is paying Kirk Cousins that kind of money.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both have stronger arms with Stafford's arm strength being the stuff of legend, but other than that. What skill do Carr and Stafford possess that KC lacks or needs more of? Its certainly not passing accuracy and it hasn't translated to more success winning/losing-wise either. As Stafford is 51-61. a .455 winning percentage. And Carr is 22-25, a .468 winning percentage. In comparison KC is 19-22-1, a .464 winning percentage.

Skill-sets, cannons for an arm, passing accuracy and wins and losses aside. I mean, really, if you think Stafford and Carr deserve 25 mill per. How can you think KC doesn't deserve 25 mill per?
That's my point.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not flawed I just prefer Stafford or Carr. you guys and the stats. Geez.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Dean - the Lions only beat one team with a winning record last season. Care to guess who that was? You got it - Redskins, and that would not have occurred if the Redskins defense didn't choke at that end of the game.

Ok stat boy. Answer this question honestly. Were KC's stats inflated last year?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean, you prefer ABC (anybody but Cousins)

NO. I take KC over Alex smith and Tyrod Taylor. IMO KC is not a top 10 Qb in this league. He is a good QB with over inflated stats last year b/c of no running game.