• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did the rest of the Redskins go while Cousin's went 51-77? Are you tell me they were a 77-51 team if Cousin's had been better?

Same as Cousins of course. Just making a point. But KC doesn't get all the credit for the wins either. They were 9-7 against a bad SOS. It is what it is...

But I'm sure that someone will point out that if, only if, our defense was better that year we would have been 12-4 and made a Super Bowl run.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side question on this... How come Dak get the old knob polish and sainted as a future elite QB, when Dallas went 13-3 playing one of the weakest schedules last year with one of the best ground games in the league.

But when Kirk won the Division on a weak schedule, its just proof that he really isnt that good??
I'm not getting involved in this, but in my math learned from the great public school system of Montgomery County, 13-3 is kinda better than 9-7 with zippy wins against a winning team.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting involved in this, but in my math learned from the great public school system of Montgomery County, 13-3 is kinda better than 9-7 with zippy wins against a winning team.

Sure it is, vastly better in fact. But that does no discount that it was done against a fourth place schedule, with a better team around him.

What IM trying to point out is that this fan base and the owner have a tendency to have grass is greener mentality.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery county should be proud. Your math skills are intact. However, it doesn't mean that the 13 win QB is better than the 9 win QB. If that was automatically the case, then Dak is a better QB that Rogers?

This whole argument about KCs win record is ridiculous. Wins and losses are a team result. Now one can legitimately express reservations about KCs performance in big games. I would agree that he has yet to show consistency in such games. But he is still relatively young in career experience. This is by no means an anamoly. Many (if not most) good QB were inconsistent in their first few years in all game situations. It's part of the learning process of an NFL QB. The question is can he overcome this issue. Have we seen him overcome other issues as he has gained experience? Is he dedicated to his craft and has the work ethic to improve himself? Finally, is he realistic about his shortcoming? This may be the most important factor. We have all seen what happens when you have a QB who thinks his shit don't stink and doesn't believe he needs coaching.

KC has probably peaked in terms of physical performance, but it is ludicrous to think that there still won't be mental growth as he gains more experience. And, imo, he has the right attitude to improve. He wants to be better and recognizes that he has faults. This is why you want him under contract long term. He is, today, a top 10-12 QB in this league. And he will still improve. Will he ever be elite? Probably not, but it is not out of the question that he can become a very consistent and reliable QB who can lead a team to the SB. Maybe as soon as this year or next. Don't trash an up and comer who has flaws but still growing for an unknown prospect which history has shown will fail miserably more time than not.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what happened on the first INT. The second INT, Doctson ran the wrong pattern. KC threw an out and Doctson ran a curl in......oops. that happens with new WRs and early in the preseason. Why there is even a thread on this, I have no idea.

We know why there is a thread on this. We have over 100 pages explaining some people.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:He wasn't fully established? Are you kidding me gk? RG3 wasnt either so why didn't we give him a LTD after his magical first season?? KC goes 9-7 for ONE year against a combined record of 51-77 (.662) and all of the sudden he is "Mr. Reliable"??

I get it, he had a nice year. But pump the brakes on 2015...

No one has STILL produced a preseason-2016 article article from someone legit (not inside the skins organization) who said we were bumbling fools for not giving KC a LTD after 2015. The overwhelming consensus is that the tag was the right move. All of you call the FO idiots, but its funny because probably most every GM in the NFL makes the same move.

Yes he was not fully established after one season of starting. That is when his contract expired. I don't really see your point. You asked a question about his pay on a QB scale. He was where he should have been with one year as a starter, a damn good year. Everybody below him, should have been below him, with the possible exception of Stafford who was deep into his second contract at the time.

Your RG3 comment is fucking stupid and doesn't deserve an answer; however, he was in year 1 of a 5 year contract. Why the hell would we give him a new one?

We don't need to produce a contract from then. Listen to any report going about how this organization has handled the entire KC situation.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the answer is yes, but if KC was picked in RG3s slot and we gave up the farm to get him, he would have been starter Day 1 and he would have played 2 or 3 more years up to that point. Experience and success over a prolonged period of time accounts for something.

Cousins had every other team pass on him several times before we picked him AND he failed to win the starting job early, so thats noone else's fault but his. Is he a victim of circumstance? Yes. But guys like Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Steve Young had to wait their turn too.

Yes, it is fair. RG3 played lights out his rookie year, there was reason and hope from all Redskins fans after his rookie year. We ALL thought he could be great. Tough circumstances for KC, but it happens. Once again, look at other backups who have turned into starters. Have they asked for (or received) a blockbuster contract 2 years into their tenure as a starter with a .500 record??

Well, If you want to believe that, then so be it. Once again experience, body of work, winning when it matters counts for more than being in the right place at the right time, at least IMO. Leading up to the '16, KCs body of work was incomplete, at best. He still has things to prove and he hasnt done enough to warrant a huge contract. But he will get it, and I truly hope it works out for us. Just my take.

So, it wasn't KC's fault that his rookie contract expired with one year as a starter and he should be punished for being treated differently? Got it.

Isn't a matter of tenure as a starter. Osweiller had 3 starts under his belt and got 17 mil a season.

Believe it or not, you are wrong with the way the business of football works in terms of QB salary.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same as Cousins of course. Just making a point. But KC doesn't get all the credit for the wins either. They were 9-7 against a bad SOS. It is what it is...

But I'm sure that someone will point out that if, only if, our defense was better that year we would have been 12-4 and made a Super Bowl run.

Nobody has given KC credit for the wins.

Now look at the defensive performance and admit they sucked ass and it had nothing to do with the offense. The offense has been good under KC with no running game.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has given KC credit for the wins.

Now look at the defensive performance and admit they sucked ass and it had nothing to do with the offense. The offense has been good under KC with no running game.
One point of clarification: the offense has been franchise record setting under KC. Just imagine if KC and our offense would have had a defense that could have actually stopped a couple drives a game, giving the offense a couple additional series a game. How many yards might they have produced with just a mediocre defense?

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery county should be proud. Your math skills are intact. However, it doesn't mean that the 13 win QB is better than the 9 win QB. If that was automatically the case, then Dak is a better QB that Rogers?

This whole argument about KCs win record is ridiculous. Wins and losses are a team result. Now one can legitimately express reservations about KCs performance in big games. I would agree that he has yet to show consistency in such games. But he is still relatively young in career experience. This is by no means an anamoly. Many (if not most) good QB were inconsistent in their first few years in all game situations. It's part of the learning process of an NFL QB. The question is can he overcome this issue. Have we seen him overcome other issues as he has gained experience? Is he dedicated to his craft and has the work ethic to improve himself? Finally, is he realistic about his shortcoming? This may be the most important factor. We have all seen what happens when you have a QB who thinks his shit don't stink and doesn't believe he needs coaching.

KC has probably peaked in terms of physical performance, but it is ludicrous to think that there still won't be mental growth as he gains more experience. And, imo, he has the right attitude to improve. He wants to be better and recognizes that he has faults. This is why you want him under contract long term. He is, today, a top 10-12 QB in this league. And he will still improve. Will he ever be elite? Probably not, but it is not out of the question that he can become a very consistent and reliable QB who can lead a team to the SB. Maybe as soon as this year or next. Don't trash an up and comer who has flaws but still growing for an unknown prospect which history has shown will fail miserably more time than not.
Thank you, but I was responding to the comment. I was not implying in any way, shape, or form that Dak is better than Rogers.

- The Pride of Montgomery County

p.s. I don't agree with you about KC's potential. He's been in the league for a long time and isn't a kid. What you see is what you get at this point.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, but I was responding to the comment. I was not implying in any way, shape, or form that Dak is better than Rogers.

p.s. I don't agree with you about KC's potential. He's been in the league for a long time and isn't a kid. What you see is what you get at this point.
Ah, so you do want to get into it, after all?:suds: While he has been in the league 5 years, he really only has about 3 years of playing experience so he is considered still a young QB. I can name numerous QBs with much more experience that were much more inconsistent at this stage of their careers, including Brees, Romo, stafford, and Ryan (just off the top of my head). All 4 of those players were labeled chokers early in their careers, some well into their careers. But as they played more, they improved. To think that KC can't become a better QB with more game time is baffling to me. I don't care what you are doing, the more you do it, the more proficient you become if you are dedicated to improving and put in time off the field honing your craft.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they better figure something out less than a month before the deadline

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kurt Warner wasn't even in the NFL at KC's age. So much for what you see is what you get.

KC has gotten better each year. He will this season as well.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner wasn't even in the NFL at KC's age. So much for what you see is what you get.

KC has gotten better each year. He will this season as well.

View my new thread. The Riddick video. it makes sense

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well his word is as good as gold lets call it a day because pundits are all knowing . just like they were with the sherf pick

cmon man. you don't think he made any sense at all?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year, every player is up for making a historic pay day the following season so why does anybody ever sign?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well his word is as good as gold lets call it a day because pundits are all knowing . just like they were with the sherf pick
and an add to that is mr riddick agrees with most of us here when he said moving on from KC is a mistake and thinking drafting a rookie fixes it

again from the all knowing pundit with the 100% track record of being right :D